What to do with those pesky Pull Tabs

calbear

Jan 29, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, Eric Foster PI, White's gold detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a wonderful way to put all those pull tabs to a good cause Instead of getting upset when you detect a pull tab and not a ring. Put it in your pouch, take it home and put it in a container. Then donate them to Ronald Mc Donald's House. Not only do you help the children and their Families. You'll give a good name to Detecting. When someone asks what you are finding you tell them your helping Mc D's house with pull tabs.

http://rmhc.org/how-you-can-help/other-ways-to-get-involved/pop-tab-collections/

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pass.

1000 pull tabs is roughly .65 lbs. Which is what, 30 cents in scrap value at best?

Just donate $1 once a year and you are doing a far better thing if your intent is to help the Ronald McDonald Foundation. There is less work done by employees this way, so more money makes it to the Foundation than is eaten up in operating costs.

Plus, I doubt I dig even 200 pull tabs in a given year.

Also, you would be wasting water and your time to clean them. I can bet that they don't want you throwing in pull tabs that have roots growing through them or are covered in dirt.

rwoods61

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2010
flame ON!!

What makes me so MAD about pull tabs is the Government changed the law back in the 70's (or 80's) so the tabs would stay attached to the can...Yet I still find pull tabs!!! the NEW ones that people have to work at to remove.

Flame off!

rwoods61

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But I also notice I'm not pulling nearly as many pulltabs as I did in the 90's now that everyone seems to be switching to those plastic bottles.

Yes, aluminum cans are still around, but not the way they used to be.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Hi everyone,
I know so many people who curse the dreaded pop tab. It's true they aren't around like they used to be, but we all find them. I used to curse the tabs too, then I met someone at work who has a child with kidney issues and has to have dialysis treatments. They have this huge jar that they fill with pop tabs. When it's full, they get a free treatment. It's something that's offered to help offset the cost. I collect tabs for them now. When you can put a face to the cause, it really changes your attitude about those dreaded tabs. My thoughts are, if a program of collecting tabs is offered by an organization.... why not take advantage of it and help someone out?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep all those pesky pull tabs. I put everything that I find in buckets at home, I sort it all into different buckets. Copper, metal, and aluminum all has their own buckets. Then when they get full or at the beginning of the year when I sell my scrap they go in also, dirt and all I don't clean any of it. It all helps with the gas. I figure I dug it up and you need to take it with you. I don;t like to dig it up and then leave it. Its all money for me.....Matt

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slowNsteady said:
Hi everyone,
I know so many people who curse the dreaded pop tab. It's true they aren't around like they used to be, but we all find them. I used to curse the tabs too, then I met someone at work who has a child with kidney issues and has to have dialysis treatments. They have this huge jar that they fill with pop tabs. When it's full, they get a free treatment. It's something that's offered to help offset the cost. I collect tabs for them now. When you can put a face to the cause, it really changes your attitude about those dreaded tabs. My thoughts are, if a program of collecting tabs is offered by an organization.... why not take advantage of it and help someone out?

That is a myth.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns...-earn-free-kidney-dialysis-for-needy-patients

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions