What digging tools and method do you use

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Smudge said:
m bryan said:
Anyone ever have trouble with an animal digging the places you have covered up? Happened to me the other day.

Clearly you're not burying the body deeply enough. :laughing7:

Now that is FUNNY.

Thank you for making a Monday morning a bit more bearable for those of us who are not yet retired. (I'm retired now, but I remember hating those Mondays).

---Dan, http://treasuremanual.com

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpoint the target and then go after it with a garden claw -- oh yeah, by the way, pick digging spots where a bombed out minefield motif, would blend in with the surroundings. Lots easier if you are in a pasture or old site where landscape does not matter. Helps even more if owner, YOU, do not care. Try pre-construction sites, where things are going to get torn up later anyway, sidewalk tearouts, home sites, buildings, street right-of-ways etc.

Otherwise -- Plan A: Use Pinpointer (probe style or block studfinder in metal mode) and screwdriver or metal probe or needlenose Fishing pliers (long reach)

Plan B: Cut 3-sided plug (Sharpened Putty knife, Replacement Metal Plane Blade with Handle (Home Depot $5-Tools Section), or Garden Digging Tool)

Plan C: Ground Pulverizer, like weeding tool or garden claw to break up soil and fibre planting trowell (HD Garden Dept ($1-$2) -or- Mantis tiller works OK, but tends to scratch up things a bit. If you want to search an area you can do some real damage with a roto-tiller .. Troy Built rear-tine units are the best.

Plan D: Ace Hardware -- Nifty device Bulb Planter ($20) and Rechargeable Drill -or- one/two man post hole digger.

Plan E: Bobcat with trencher or backhoe.

Plan F: Build a drop down single blade or shovel unit that you can install in the trailer hitch receiver and then you can really go at it and tear up the field.

Just remember -- "Progress is our most important product."

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
m bryan said:
Anyone ever have trouble with an animal digging the places you have covered up? Happened to me the other day.

Lol! How deep do you guys bury your bodies? I guess my air test is not deep enough. ;D

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
m bryan said:
Smudge said:
m bryan said:

Lol! How deep do you guys bury your bodies? ;D

Wood chipper. Doctor said I shouldn't strain my back. ;D

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Chug and Red said:
In the sand I use a scoop I made my self and a pinpointer!!!!!!!

In the dirt i use a combo,

Pinpoint first!!!!! No response, move to next

probe lightly with a screwdriver, hit it shallow raise the driver 1/2 inch make a x moving the driver then use my finger to move the soil out of the way and feel for it 1 to 2 inches!!!!

Any deeper i bring out the Mighty AP Digger and cut a u shape plug the use the pinpointer to help locate it!!!! that way I'm not damaging the grass if I'm in a park!!!!

I tell you... The more I see that Mighty AP Digger, the more I want one!!!!
I do use a 9-year old Lesche that is still going strong.
I also use an old military entrenching tool that is OK, thinking about getting a new Predator shovel.
Also use a sand scoop at the beach.

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using old car and truck leaf springs for making machete's.....You can make a nice digging tool out of the leaf springs as well...I guarantee you they won't break....that's why they are called leaf springs....SushiDog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread