What digging tools and method do you use

OP
OP
G

gambler13

May 27, 2010
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Xterra 705
29 views and no replies, helpful forum. Is it better to cut a small plug/flap or larger so as not to damage the grass roots per sq. in.?

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Be nice.With practice with pinpointing,you should be able to cut a fairly small 3 sided flap,several inches deep to preserve the roots. :)

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the sand I use a scoop I made my self and a pinpointer!!!!!!!

In the dirt i use a combo,

Pinpoint first!!!!! No response, move to next

probe lightly with a screwdriver, hit it shallow raise the driver 1/2 inch make a x moving the driver then use my finger to move the soil out of the way and feel for it 1 to 2 inches!!!!

Any deeper i bring out the Mighty AP Digger and cut a u shape plug the use the pinpointer to help locate it!!!! that way I'm not damaging the grass if I'm in a park!!!!

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 771
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 681

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scored this digging tool at Sears for 19.95. Its has inches for measuring. Sturdy but sharp.....I try cutting a horse shoe plug and pulling the flap over. When the target is retreived, hopefully the flap will go back in place. I started carrying a construction cloth to catch the extra dirt so all of it can go back in the hole. I carry a Pistol Probe and it can pin point the target if no deeper than three inches.

Attachments

• knive.jpg
    knive.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 645
  • knive.jpg
    knive.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 594
  • knive.jpg
    knive.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 605

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LI Tom said:
Be nice.With practice with pinpointing,you should be able to cut a fairly small 3 sided flap,several inches deep to preserve the roots. :)
I've watched videos of some guys that cut the area about a foot across. They claim it keeps them from recutting when they miss the pin pointing. To me, smaller would be better?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where I am at and the time of the year. If I am detecting i early spring when the ground is moist I cut a horse shoe plug an flip it over to find my item. When it in the heat of summer with very little rain I start hunting the beaches and water. So I use my sand scoop. In the fall if I am out in the woods or a field where the crops has been removed. I use a small shovel, and dig a nice big plug. Or back to the first response if I am back in a yard or park.....Matt

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've even seen one guy who advocates using a short handled shovel to cut a large plug and deposits it onto a pillowcase. Once he retrieves the target, he pours the dirt back in and replaces the plug. The ground hardly looks disturbed.

While this method clearly works on private land (with permission) and in rural areas, I would think people would freak out to see this method used in a public park.

Has anyone tried this?

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
gambler13 said:
29 views and no replies, helpful forum.

Give us time - some of us are tired from digging all those coins and rings. (And some of us are just old).

Here's my video on digging coins. Note that the ground was wet when I shot this. It's harder to do in dry ground:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv11LAnmvbU[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv11LAnmvbU

---Dan, http://treasuremanual.com

OP
OP
G

gambler13

May 27, 2010
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Xterra 705
Smudge, are you referring to the Dankowski DVD?

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I use a sand scoop for the beaches, if hunting parks I carry around around or strap to my hips a 2-1/2 gallons small white bucket from home depot.I carry my, knife, strowel,bandana for the dirt,extra batteries and a bottle of water.When I pull up the finds I just throw in bucket with trash so you won't have to come across it again. :sign13:

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Depends on the depth. If a very shallow coin and my proponter can spot it exactly from the surface I will do the pop it out method with one incision just under the coin and lift it out. Then step on the grass to push it back down.

If deeper than a couple inches I'll do a horseshoe cut, the diameter will be about 1 1/2 times the depth reading I get from the detector.

It is true that a smaller shallow plug is worse than a large deep plug but it tends to raise an eyebrow when you dig large bbq pit sized holes in a park.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
gambler13 said:
Seems a lot of people use different methods for digging their finds. How do you do it?
I use a Sears small spade that I bought for $10. It is very light and carries well. I can dig a square about 9 inches wide and 8 inches deep with one try. I can dig and make it as though no one was ever there. I have had the Metropark rangers in northern Ohio come up to me and look at where I have dug and they could not tell where I was. Digging with no trace takes practice. A good strong pair of shoes or boots come in real handy to heel in the grass from the dig. Heeling in prevents dead spots by compacting the soil so the roots can survive.

For the sand and water, there is only one....THE BEACH BRUTE. I have modified it with a stainless lip. For sand and water hunting, I have found it is the king of scoops.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Different tools and methods for different situations most of which have already been mentioned. One not mentioned is in the central Pa. high wooded areas. The ground is composed of 50% earth & 50% golfball size rocks. You can't readily dig with a shovel so I rake out the material with a 3 pronged hoe with an extendable handel. I picked it up at Sears years ago, but I have seen it in garden supp. stores also.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
To me, smaller would be better?

Why? Wouldn't deeper and larger be better for maintaining good water flow and root structure? Plus, in areas where a mower with good suction (most parks) is used, the small plugs get ripped out too easily.

If a very shallow coin and my proponter can spot it exactly from the surface I will do the pop it out

I've seen some great key date coins scratched doing this. I won't do this in an area that might have old coins.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever have trouble with an animal digging the places you have covered up? Happened to me the other day.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
m bryan said:
Anyone ever have trouble with an animal digging the places you have covered up? Happened to me the other day.

Clearly you're not burying the body deeply enough. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread