Ask and you shall receive

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped today to ask permission to hunt where an old church once was....Did just like Dan Hughes said, knocked on the door, stepped back to not croud the gentleman,smiled,left the baseball cap in the truck. Introduced myself and told him my hobby and why I was there...............He said "hunt it all you want, and oh by the way, you see that old well over there, that was the well for the old school that was here around 1900, the school building was right over there, out houses and cistern was over there, that may be a good place to look". ......all clean areas! Then he told me that he owned all the land to the highway(about one mile) A couple old house places were between there and the HY......Gave me permission to hunt anytime.......Plan on phase one this evening...lol.......I will try to post what I find.....

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hat goes off to you for asking. Nice payoff.

I haven't tried that myself yet.

Let us know what you find. :icon_thumleft:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted the church site for a while and found a few pennies, a couple wheats,steel and a bottle.......Problem was the church burned a few years ago and the ground was too trashy to hunt. Burnt metal everywhere and detector wouldn't discriminate it out.............

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try hunting the area away from the actual church site. You will probably notice that the further away you go the less trash, and better possibility of good finds.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I hope the seek and ye shall find part works for you too!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I'd personally start with the pathways from the well and cistern to the house and church: should be less trash than the church but greater foot travel. More people travelling it, the most lost coins!

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
I hope the seek and ye shall find part works for you too!
I knocked and the door was open, asked and I received so maybe????

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Outstanding. Be sure to post our finds so we can all drool..... LOL I think you have found a great site if it has not been hunted before.

Good Luck on your hunt.

Ray S ECenFL

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the permission, you've got a lot of work ahead.

Church site may be trashy, but I'd still grab a small coil, and work slowly around the door locations, if you can find out where they were. Any grove of large trees adjacent to the church? Could be where church picnics were held. Look for parking areas too.

Look for pathways to and from. Easy way to find them is to go after a snow, when it starts to melt. Snow melts quicker on harder dirt and exposes these paths and heavily traveled areas.

The outhouses may yield some interesting bottles, coins and such, just make sure you've got permission to dig up the man's property, you'll need to go down a few feet for that... Make sure your shots are updated before diving in... :icon_pale:

Let us know what you find!
HH

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plan on going back Monday, will be out of town till then........My only concerns is me and my detector. Not sure either one of us is capable of this project... I'm a newbe and the md is a oldie. ;D

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
m bryan said:
Plan on going back Monday, will be out of town till then........My only concerns is me and my detector. Not sure either one of us is capable of this project... I'm a newbe and the md is a oldie. ;D

One tip: check the areas away from the burned church, in particular, where most people park. Parking lots can be heavy producers at parks, I would imagine the same would true at a church. Good luck!

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
m bryan said:

Keep going back whenever you can. A place like that would keep me busy for a couple years. Work outside of the iron infested areas and dig every signal above iron. You'll still dig a lot of junk, but there will be some keepers too. If the area is wooded that's a plus. I've noticed stuff is not that deep in the woods.

Good Luck!
-Swartzie

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tykit said:
Wander around at first, you may find some hot spots that you can hit hard.

I'm drooling all over my keyboard right now. :P

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
m bryan said:
Hunted the church site for a while and found a few pennies, a couple wheats,steel and a bottle.......Problem was the church burned a few years ago and the ground was too trashy to hunt. Burnt metal everywhere and detector wouldn't discriminate it out.............

Is the property owner familiar with the church? Many rural churches had outdoor revival meetings and picnics on the grounds - if you can locate the old picnic area or revival meeting area (usually flat ground big enough to hold a large tent) you might be onto some good stuff!

Oh, and thanks for mentioning me in your note! The show about getting permission is #046 at:
http://thetreasurecorner.com

---Dan, http://treasuremanual.com

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
m bryan said:
Stopped today to ask permission to hunt where an old church once was....Did just like Dan Hughes said, knocked on the door, stepped back to not croud the gentleman,smiled,left the baseball cap in the truck. Introduced myself and told him my hobby and why I was there...............He said "hunt it all you want, and oh by the way, you see that old well over there, that was the well for the old school that was here around 1900, the school building was right over there, out houses and cistern was over there, that may be a good place to look". ......all clean areas! Then he told me that he owned all the land to the highway(about one mile) A couple old house places were between there and the HY......Gave me permission to hunt anytime.......Plan on phase one this evening...lol.......I will try to post what I find.....
Here is a picture of the old school well.

Attachments

• school 016.jpg
    school 016.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 202
OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan Hughes said:
Bryan, be sure to pay special attention to the area beneath and between those old clothesline poles!

---Dan
Thanks, I will do that. Appreciate the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions