Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a dealer for both brands, and even though I don't have any real experience with either unit, I am pretty sure the 250 would take that one. The main point I have to make and the reason I am replying is to say .... if you find a Tesoro suits you better you should pay a little more at least stepping up to the Silver Umax.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before you write off the Compadre, take a look at the posts originated by Tabdog.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Before you write off the Compadre, take a look at the posts originated by Tabdog.

Just curious why you think a member's posts would matter for this?

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
The compadre is a nice little detector light weight for kids and longer hunts.It is hard wired so no coil change-try the new whites coinmaster!!! I just bought one and glad I did $179.The ace 250 is alright if you can stand the ding;Bell sound it makes, drives me crazy after 20 mintues or so.

I agree the tesoro silver max is a very nice and light machine.$239.

if I truely have a choice to make it would be the Tesoro Silver max is all you need.
:read2:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch said:
Smudge said:

You're right, I misread his post. I thought he was dumping the Compadre for the 250. He just needs a comparisons. Sorry Dpitt8.

However, if he wants to see whether the Compadre is a good machine to purchase, the finds and videos posted by tabdog can show him a lot. Tabdog seems use the Compadre for about 80% of his hunting.

OP
OP
dpitt8

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
thank you all so far.....and it was through tabdogs posts that got me interested in compadre....so someone poke him so he can post his opinions here please :-)

and i will look into the Umax. Now if I could just find a dealer close to me.

PS: I'm a girl. :laughing7:

Diana

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Diana! Welcome to the wonderful world of metal detecting!

As you can see if you look to the left I am a tesoro user, and have been for many years. I like things as simple as they can be. I you are going to be hunting parks, school yards and the like go with the Compadre! It is all you need. They are unbelievably low priced and are workhorses. They hold their value too, if you decide to sell it and step up. :thumbsup:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dpitt8 said:
thank you all so far.....and it was through tabdogs posts that got me interested in compadre....so someone poke him so he can post his opinions here please :-)

and i will look into the Umax. Now if I could just find a dealer close to me.

PS: I'm a girl. :laughing7:

Diana

Try contacting 4-H, a dealer who posts here. I bought mine from him. Fast shipping. Great guy to deal with.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Plus life time warranty on all tesoro-Another great thing about the silver max true silent search!!!!!
Great life for a simple 9 volt snap in. :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Iron Patch said:
Smudge said:

You're right, I misread his post. I thought he was dumping the Compadre for the 250. He just needs a comparisons. Sorry Dpitt8.

However, if he wants to see whether the Compadre is a good machine to purchase, the finds and videos posted by tabdog can show him a lot. Tabdog seems use the Compadre for about 80% of his hunting.

I actually didn't check his posts. My point is you were suggesting the Compadre or any other detector because someone does well with it, that's not really a good guideline. It simply points at them putting in the time, having productive sites, and the detector does work well enough to find site. As I've said many times I'd rather a starter unit on a great site than the best detector ever made on a site that sucked.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch said:
Smudge said:
Iron Patch said:
Smudge said:

I actually didn't check his posts. My point is you were suggesting the Compadre or any other detector because someone does well with it, that's not really a good guideline. It simply points at them putting in the time, having productive sites, and the detector does work well enough to find site. As I've said many times I'd rather a starter unit on a great site than the best detector ever made on a site that sucked.

Then what is the point of posting? People come here to discuss detectoring and to show how they use it and what they found. Any detector requires an investment of time. The poster was debating which one to get. What criteria would you use?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Iron Patch said:
Smudge said:
Iron Patch said:
Smudge said:

Then what is the point of posting? People come here to discuss detectoring and to show how they use it and what they found. Any detector requires an investment of time. The poster was debating which one to get. What criteria would you use?

The criteria of the detectors, not what someone finds. I could have used a $40 Chinese detector on my best sites and impressed everyone. But would it be what they should buy, just because I did great with it? Of course not.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Finds sell detectors. Why else would iron patch (or me) swing a boat anchor that squeals over good targets?

I've never swung the compadre, but I would still choose the ACE for tone ID alone.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a woman and I have owned both. I prefer the Ace 250 over the Compadre because I like having different sounds for more info. The Compadre gives off one sound and it is a pretty annoying one. Both are light enough for me. I also like the pinpointing feature and the screen i d. I sold my used Compadre for $100, so it did keep its value. Enjoying the Ace a lot more. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread