I was gonna ask which detector i should get but....

loveartist

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2010
Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do research, do tot lots.. ask for permission on private yards, farms, fields..etc.. the key is research..

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's one of my secret spots often overlooked... the small strip of PUBLIC property between the curb and the sidewalk. BEST are one-way streets on the driver's side. Watch for streets that are digging up old sidewalks and still have not done the cement pour. Hope this helps for a few places to look. TTC

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't hunted a park in 6 years and probably won't ever again. What you have just described is a blessing for you because it will increase you better finds once your get going!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I found some listings in the treasure atlas, but they are vague
-A cache of silver lies buried on the grounds of the Catholic Church at 7th st.& Dixie highway in Louisville.
-6 skeletons in armor were found near the falls of the Ohio river near Louisville in the 1780's. It would be a good place to search for artifact.
-Ft. Nelson was located near the present corner of Seventh & Main St's. built in 1781
-G.T.[ghost town] Avoca,on R.R. 2 1/2 mi NW Eastwood
-G.T. Tucker,on R.R. 3 mi. E of Jeffersontown
-G.T. Routt, 3 mi. S of Fisherville
-G.T. Bishoff, on R.R. 3 mi E of valley Station
These are a few interesting locations in or near Louistown. To find out more locations in Kentucky, go to the library and look in the UNITED STATES TREASURE ATLAS by THOMAS P. TERRY. you WANT VOLUME #4 Kentucky STARTS ON PG. 394 WITH A LOCATION MAP. the listings are by county, but they are not alphabetical. Jefferson Co. is on Pg.#403
Hope this helps, and good luck

OP
OP
L

loveartist

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks guys <3, i guess ill get into it afterall, I was thinking of getting a tesoro silver umax. I heard good things about it from metaldetectorreviews.net. And its within my price range of about 300 dollars. If there is a better model let me know. Also what else do I need. I guess i need somethin to dig. Im mainly looking for old coins and jewlry, and maybe some relics in the future. Mostly Ill be searching in dirt, maybe some sand very rarely as if I go on vacation. Best of luck to you all in your upcoming hunts! God bless, Cody

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tesoro Silver Umax is an excellent detector which you will spend many years with. As was mentioned you are better off staying out of the parks and hunting private yards or along the roads. Garrett has many fine books on where to detect. http://www.garrett.com/hobby/hbby_ram_books.htm that will give you ideas of where to search.

As for what else you'll need, a treasure apron like a nail pouch with two pockets, screw driver to probe for coins in the grass, strong trowel for ones you need to dig after cutting a 3 sided plug. Later you can add the electronic probe if you feel the need.

midnightcaller

Apr 13, 2005
Snohomish Area
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab
loveartist said:
I was gonna get a metal detector and start this hobby but i recently found out that metal detecting is banned in the parks where i live, louisville kentucky. Is there anywhere else I could hunt besides parks? Honestly they were the places where I was planning on hunting, so im a bit bummed. :(

Is the FMDACdoing anything to get the Parks open in Louisville? or are they doing nothing?

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to this addicting hobby. Your parks may be banned in your city but research other cities. I like to research and go on road trips to places I have never been before. Research is the key. The places others have mentioned are excellent places to hunt. Once you get permission from private land owners you should do very well. Check out old fairgrounds, ball fields, schools, etc. The list is endless. Try to find old maps and compare to current map. I love to research and I have more places to hunt than I have time. Good luck and we can't wait to see your finds.

OP
OP
L

loveartist

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2010
im not sure, http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=293746.0 talks about the law and there was some other thread on metaldectingforums.net
Id never heard of the FMDAC before now, so i have no idea if there doing anything about it, i heard someone else post that they should implement a yearly fee to metal detect in parks, like a hunting of fishing license or something. I remember they were using some law to protect archeological sites to make metal detecting illegal in parks. :( seems pretty harmless to me, not sure why they even care *shrugs*

OP
OP
L

loveartist

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2010
well its done, i bought a tesoro silver umax! i even risked overdrawing my account because I want it ASAP :) also gonna buy this book, "The Urban Treasure Hunter" Thanks for all your guys help,
Cody

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
loveartist said:
well its done, i bought a tesoro silver umax! i even risked overdrawing my account because I want it ASAP :) also gonna buy this book, "The Urban Treasure Hunter" Thanks for all your guys help,
Cody

Now that you have a detector on the way you of course have to put in the hours to learn it, but just as important (maybe more important) is the site. Get a few hunts in anywhere you can dig lots of targets, but as soon as you have a handle on things shift your attention to what might be more productive site, and that usally only comes with research and effort.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
midnightcaller said:
loveartist said:
I was gonna get a metal detector and start this hobby but i recently found out that metal detecting is banned in the parks where i live, louisville kentucky. Is there anywhere else I could hunt besides parks? Honestly they were the places where I was planning on hunting, so im a bit bummed. :(

Is the FMDACdoing anything to get the Parks open in Louisville? or are they doing nothing?

The FMDAC is just a group of like minded treasure hunters that need everyones help in getting laws and policy changed and as a lobby they also need money and members. Since many guys just want to sit back and let "the other guy," do it their hands are pretty much tied with what they can do. Visit the site and learn.

http://www.fmdac.org/parks/parks.htm

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a copy of Modern Metal Detecting by Garrett, good overall introduction.
Are the waterfront parks along river off limits? "Digging Is Off Limits", Not using walking stick with built in detector to search for things. If you do find something in restricted areas, turn info over to archeology bunch in state universities; note that keeps them busy for the rest of their lives digging gopher holes where you would get hauled off to jail.

Read messages on here, lots of really good information. Go to public Library, look up local History Books and Folklore of area.
Read up on Knights Of The Golden Circle, Civil War History, Local Commerce and check out Newspaper Archives. GET A LIBRARY CARD -- Go to reference desk and ask for help; you would be surprised what is buried away in archive sections, be prepared to use white linen gloves to look at map and photo collections, and be restricted to hours of use and photocopy limits. Check out PBS -- History Detectives and Time Team America shows.

Use Yahoo and Google and State/University History Archive Websites.
Find Map Source for Your Area -- Sanborn Maps? First fire and casualty insurance maps for most cities.

Pay special attention to archive PHOTO BOOKS. Think drunken customers stumbling down gangway of riverboats from 1800's, spilling coins everywhere. Think along lines, era of coins and artifacts will be where people of that era congregated/lived and commerce was conducted. (Old Abandoned Home Sites, Produce Stands, County Fairgrounds, Circus Grounds, Old Amusement Parks, Old Bus Stops/Lines and Trolleys, Gas stations, Train Stations/Railroad Station Stops on Lines, Stagecoach stops, Riverboat landings, Civil War encampments, anything you can find history on) In the beginning, "Pick ONE Topic A Week", and try to find out everything you can on it.

Read the Beekrock Thread -- searching old house/homesite for valuables, info. beyond belief there.

Put the detector, Digging Tools and Markers, in your car trunk. Opportunity to hunt and your level of knowledge of your detector, are keys.
-- Even if you do not have time to dig, scan an area and mark finds for later work. I use golf T's with brad nail drilled into top, to mark an area, where trees, bushes or other landmarks are not available. GPS is only accurate to locate an area to within -- 15 Ft -- or so at best. Make a a quick map in notebook, for later reference.

Use a Pinpointer and Dig everything.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok! Good machine. Now, as Iron Patch above says, LEARN your machine. It is also important to FIND THINGS! build confidence. The best mindset to use is "go to where people gather". Or gathered! Watch for new construction. The EPA requires some places to scrape the topsoil off older places to collect bad stuff. BINGO! You now have gotten somebody to give you 5 to 7 inches headstart on depth. Older stuff can now be found. Get the idea? Some good books will tell you more. Good luck! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread