Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It obviously has a lot to do with where you are because we do it every time out with success, and often multiple times on the same hunt. All you can do is really think about your approach and go in with your A game every time. But you can't let the rejection get to you because it sounds like it's just the nature of the people there. We hunt farm fields so that does seem to make it quite a bit easier than something like a private yard.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well put.

The thing that is amazing me is that I'm also hearing it about farm fields too. I guess maybe people are overly litigious in Florida.

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
I'm thinking of making up a legal form that I sign in front of them releasing them from any liablity if I get hurt.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Kut2-the-chase, that's the FASTEST way to get a "no".

I mean, think of it: How would you respond if a total stranger showed up at your door, holding out a contract for you to sign? Or you handing them a legal document, and talking about "liability"?

The only time anyone should introduce something like that, is if they themselves ask for it. Because otherwise, the only thing it does, is throw up red flags of things they should be worried about (and may not otherwise have cared less).

The best way is to 1) catch them "on their front porch" or other such non-confrontational situations. Because ........ we all know what we do when solicitors come to our door right? Say "no thank you" and close the door without hearing a word they say. 2) approach people as an amateur historian, doing research on their property (the "stage stop you heard was on their back 40", or the "swimming hole that was back in the canyon there", or whatever), and you were wondering if they knew anything about it. Have your pictures from the library book, or whatever you have. It helps if you are an actual docent or volunteer worker in a museum or something, so you can "name drop" that kind of stuff.

I'm a docent at 2 different museums (trust me, museums and historical societies are ALWAYS begging for help and community volunteers). And those credentials have gotten me into oodles of situations and places, even though it may not have ANYTHING to do with my metal detecting :) The mere fact that you are this person of perceived authority, "doing research for an article you're writing", will open up doors. And then you slowly morph it into a ".... mind if I walk around and take some pictures?". And so on, and so forth.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent been in this business very long buy I am 2-0 in getting permission to hunt private land......knock on the door or ring the door bell, step back as not to croud the owner when they come to the door. When they open the door, SMILE. (if they have a peep hole smile before they look at you through it)Introduce yourself and tell them that your hobby is looking for lost coins around old house places. And you woulkd like permission to to look in their yard. When you ask permission nod your head in a yes motion(dont over do it.) Mention to them that you use a coin finder (sounds better than metal detector)and will leave no holes in in their yard. Dont mention the word "treasure".......I got some of this from Dan Hughes and added some things of my own.........so far so good.

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
Duly noted.
Thanks for the input, I'll try the smile and I like the "coin finder machine" bit too.

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send them a letter before knocking. Explain what your hobby is and let them know you would like to detect their property. Be sure to tell them a lot about YOU. If you are married, how many children you have, where you work, how long you've lived in the area, etc.. Let them know you are not a drive-by individual. Also offer to give personal references if they would like.

Then if you haven't heard from them in a week or two, call them or knock on their door. Lastly, if they say no, no big deal. Just puts you back to square one. Work on this letter, and perfect it....it can be used multiple times.

Also, if you happen to see the owner of the property working outside, stop and introduce yourself.
Knocking on a door cold is awkward, and makes for a nervous conversation. JMO.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barnum said:
Send them a letter before knocking. Explain what your hobby is and let them know you would like to detect their property. Be sure to tell them a lot about YOU. If you are married, how many children you have, where you work, how long you've lived in the area, etc.. Let them know you are not a drive-by individual. Also offer to give personal references if they would like.

Then if you haven't heard from them in a week or two, call them or knock on their door. Lastly, if they say no, no big deal. Just puts you back to square one. Work on this letter, and perfect it....it can be used multiple times.

Also, if you happen to see the owner of the property working outside, stop and introduce yourself.
Knocking on a door cold is awkward, and makes for a nervous conversation. JMO.

I see that much the same as what a contract will do and agree with Tom's post above. The last thing I would ever do is give someone a week to think of all the reasons they shouldn't let me detect. In fact, I believe that is such a bad idea I think it's something I could use! ;D When approaching a land owner I would first explain that I'm out for the day doing a little metal detecting and thought his area would be a good place to go. I'd then say how some people trespass, or just send a generic impersonal letter, but I prefer a face to face meeting because if it was my property it's what I would expect.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm batting .500 so I guess that's good.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GopherDaGold said:

Ok Gopher, If you're batting .500, let us in on the secret! If I get 1 in 10, I'm doing VERY good (.100). Help us out.... details. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best way to get attention.... and permission, is a press release! Find a ring. A real ring...no plants. Then let the local news know about it. Give the news a way you can be contacted... and wait for the calls. It works! TTC

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
GopherDaGold said:

Ok Gopher, If you're batting .500, let us in on the secret! If I get 1 in 10, I'm doing VERY good (.100). Help us out.... details. TTC

One in ten? What type of sites are you being turned down for? I kid you not I don't think we've been turned down more than 5 times in 10 years, and on many hunts we've probably got permission from a few different people. I'd say our batting is pretty good because it's no doubt something like 200 yes and 5 no.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
GopherDaGold said:

My secret is I've only been to two spots that required asking permission and was denied once, :D

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My letter idea has worked numerous times for me over the last 30 years. By letting the owner know more about you, where you live, etc.. he or she has time to check me out if he so wants. A quick "Can I detect your property?" would, to me lead to a quick no. For all he knows you could be scoping out his property for a future breaking and entering.

Allowing them to think about your request lets them know you understand the awkwardness of it, and also tells them you are in no hurry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions