Boy, do I need a pep talk.

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
I've had my Minelab X terra 705 for over a month. Not sure how much time I've logged, but I'm well into my third set of batteries. Been hitting too many public places ( school tot lots, parks,fairgrounds, campgrounds etc), and nothing private yet. While I've found some clad, I've found way too much junk, even though the Exterra 705 clearly reads 32 -49 ( ie s/b coin in mode 2) from several angles, and depth per meter is totally unreliable. I know it takes awhile to learn a new unit, but for Pete's sake, I'm digging darn near everything now due to uncertainty, having no clue what's down there. Seems I could do as well with my old.Ace 250.

I don't see much written about the 705, so I don't see much in the way of feedback on this unit.

OK, I'm done venting.

Upvote 0

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's all about sites.

Within the first fifteen minutes of my first trip with my first MD when I was 17, I found a lock assembly from an old rifle at Oglethorpe Park in St. Augustine (I don't even know if I was allowed to be MD'ing there or not :laughing9:) ... and even with that freakish stroke of luck as initial motivation, I quickly realized that 'random metal detecting' wasn't for me.

I'm a hunter, not a meanderer. I love the thrill of the search, but am definitely an 'end goal' sort of guy and as such, prefer to know what I'm looking for. Digging garbage- be it contemporary or historic- with the off chance of finding something marginally meaningful doesn't even interest me much. Most folks would've put that lock in a little glass covered relic box and treasured it, I gave it away. I just totally, totally didn't care.

Finding a wedding band or a class ring doesn't excite me much either... but here in Chicago, I have a direct line on what's probably a modest cache- I could hunt that thing for a month straight with fire in my veins. Wreck diving? Man... Talk about something that really stokes my coals. Garage Sales... Flea Markets... Cluttered junk shops... Even browsing newly-listed ebay auctions in certain categories with "Buy It Now" enabled, lying in wait for that big, under-priced score... All treasure hunts that I love. Walking around a beach or a park with a MD hoping to find an earring? Not my thing. Maybe it isn't yours, either.

At least be open to the possibility that even if you master your machine, the process itself may not be for you. Treasure Hunting is about two things. Treasure and hunting. There's lots of ways to skin that cat, most of which don't involve chasing after pennies and pull tabs, hoping to hit something random. For those that dig the random metal detecting thing, right on! For those that don't, there's still plenty of ways to sate the treasure-hunting urge.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two things... (one) DON'T depend on the target i.d. Use your ears, not your eyes. Much too much is put on the id and not enough on the noise. (two) Record your time on the machine... at least during the learning period. After awhile, you will notice patterns. You will look back to the notebook to confirm them. (third) (I said two) When you can confirm the patterns that work, look for places that will duplicate those patterns and your success will skyrocket! Good luck. (oh, wait, the pep talk (pep rally) Yoo raa raa! TTC

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
I have owned many machines, but the Xterra 70 I got rid of within 12 months. I hated it. enough said

The Cat

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just hang in there friend.
I agree with the other fellas, patience, and practice.
I've been there and understand your frustration.
You've got a real good machine. Unfortunately there is a lot of modern trash to contest with.
To this day, I find huge amounts of trash vs. the tiny treasures that fit in my fishing vest compartment.

When I was a kid, I had a bolt action .22 cal rifle I used to target practice and hunt with. I could hit anything with that gun. when I was 15, DAD bought me a new semi auto .22. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that gun. After about 6 months of practice, I was a sharpshooter with it.

Good luck!

"Research, patience, gut feelings, determination, and time in, is what it takes to kill it in this hobby."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread