Boy, do I need a pep talk.

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
I've had my Minelab X terra 705 for over a month. Not sure how much time I've logged, but I'm well into my third set of batteries. Been hitting too many public places ( school tot lots, parks,fairgrounds, campgrounds etc), and nothing private yet. While I've found some clad, I've found way too much junk, even though the Exterra 705 clearly reads 32 -49 ( ie s/b coin in mode 2) from several angles, and depth per meter is totally unreliable. I know it takes awhile to learn a new unit, but for Pete's sake, I'm digging darn near everything now due to uncertainty, having no clue what's down there. Seems I could do as well with my old.Ace 250.

I don't see much written about the 705, so I don't see much in the way of feedback on this unit.

OK, I'm done venting.

Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

Oh boy do I know how you feel. All I can say is when I went from the Ace 250 to the MXT I regretted it for the longest time for the exact reasons you're giving. Then one day it all just sort of clicked. Then I was finding all kinds of things. I don't know your machine at all but don't give up. Can you find someone in your area that has one, that you can hunt with?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good sites take the equation out of the equation!

loveartist

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2010
ive only been detecting for one day, but it seems to me that metal detecting is about the wonder of what lies underneath and how it got there, not necessarily the value of what you find, but the value is in the finding. But then again ive only been doing it a day, and havent found anything of monetary value. Gl man, hope you start enjoying it more, its hard when you buy something nice and it dosent work as expected.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Iron Patch said :thumbsup:

Look, you've only been at it now for a month on your new machine. Give it some time. When you press, the detecting gods don't smile down on you. Seriously. The more carefree and nonchalant you are the better. Just go out hoping to have some fun and let the day ride.

That being said, the tot-lots, parks, etc. are great places to practice on a new unit. You might even find an oldie or two and maybe some jewelry. But, learn your machine first. Inside and out. Like the back of your hand. Then...

Find some OLD sites. That's the "secret". Believe it or not, the hardest part of this hobby is finding sites which produce good finds. It takes reading, research, trial and error and digging a LOT of holes. However, if you're in this game to find old stuff, stuff with a history, a story...there's no other way to go. Unless of course...

You're happy finding clad and jewelry. Nothing wrong with that. You won't see me putting a gold ring back in the hole :laughing7: If it's this that you're after though, forget everything I said and hit the parks and beaches. You'll have a ball :icon_sunny:

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
I have the XT70 and 705, and neither one will lock on a target, reads from -4 all the way up to 44 and jumps all over on numbers in between, I sent the 70 in twice, and it's still the same.

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
I hit a playground that I had been to 4 or 5 time and spend many hours.
Yesterday I went there again, spend about an hour there and picked up two silver rings 5 minutes apart.

It's all a matter of chance, since you haven't found anything big yet, your time is due.

GL!
By the way, I cash in the clad I find and buy silver, this gives me a better feeling about finding clad.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:
What Iron Patch said :thumbsup:

Look, you've only been at it now for a month on your new machine. Give it some time. When you press, the detecting gods don't smile down on you. Seriously. The more carefree and nonchalant you are the better. Just go out hoping to have some fun and let the day ride.

That being said, the tot-lots, parks, etc. are great places to practice on a new unit. You might even find an oldie or two and maybe some jewelry. But, learn your machine first. Inside and out. Like the back of your hand. Then...

Find some OLD sites. That's the "secret". Believe it or not, the hardest part of this hobby is finding sites which produce good finds. It takes reading, research, trial and error and digging a LOT of holes. However, if you're in this game to find old stuff, stuff with a history, a story...there's no other way to go. Unless of course...

You're happy finding clad and jewelry. Nothing wrong with that. You won't see me putting a gold ring back in the hole :laughing7: If it's this that you're after though, forget everything I said and hit the parks and beaches. You'll have a ball :icon_sunny:

Also, it should be mentioned that every person that posts a handful of old goodies probably worked like hell to get them, finding both the site, and digging a ton of trash in the process. It might seem strange, but out of all the people I know I probably have the less patience in general, but when it comes to hunting an old site, with the possibility of finding one more good find in the iron, I probably have the most patience. I'm always the last one to leave the "patch". :thumbsup: After a month? Hell I was still figuring out how the batteries went in! ;D

Research, patience, gut feelings, determination, and time in, is what it takes to kill it in this hobby.

PS... One thing to always remember is to judge yourself compared to what others find in your area, and what you think is possible. If you live in a small town settled in 1890 chances are you're not going to be finding many Colonial coppers, so don't let that affect you. Just look at what the UK guys find on a regular basis, it's way more than what is possible here, and I have some "old" sites!..... but it is what it is and does not throw me off my game plan of doing the best I can here. Anyone that struggles simply needs a better plan.

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
I've had my M6 for close to 8 weeks now and honestly it's only just started taking to me in a language that I'm understanding. It takes time for the two of you to become one. I dont know your machine but mine has different tones for different metals and coins, and I've only hunted the same type areas as you. Parks and schools FILLED will junk, but have found $100 in clad and a gold ring, so keep at it! I promise you, you'll "click". :read2:

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
One thing you could do to improve your skills a little faster is take some test targets. Example 10k ring small, large 14k mans wedding ring, a class ring, small ladies ring, an assortment of silver and clad coins. Then test them out with your detector, after verifying there is nothing in the ground where you place the object. Once you place the object on the ground check it out. What reading does it give? What about the sound it produces? Raise the coil off the ground until you no longer hear it beep, that will give you some idea of how deep it may find that object. Some people actually have test gardens where they have planted coins and such at specific depths. They know its there and they test their machines. Different machines produce different results. Once you have done that you will have a better working knowledge of what to expect. But in detecting we all know every now and then to expect the unexpected. Good luck and keep detecting the finds will start showing up!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learning any new machine especially when you switch brands will take a while. I went from a Whites IDX PRO to a Explorer II. Talk about detector shock. I just kept surfing the web for post about my new machine, asked questions here, reread my manual, tested and just plain used it until I got it.

As for the jumping, I would try turning down the sensitivity until it stops jumping on a target and try hunting at hat setting. I should point out that I would also dig the target and see what it was and that it was not a junky whole (lots of pieces of trash). If it was the sensitivity my be set to low. Finding a target getting a reading and then digging a target is the best way I know to learn. If you have a problem remembering everything you learn write it down or use a small pocket recorder. Basically do anything that works for you.

Good luck, PS I have seen a XT 705 pull a 1700,s Spanish coin (not a reale) at 10" in the field.
Ed D.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I owned the X-Terra 305 for awhile and thought it was a great detector. I'm always a little skeptical of those depth meters, but the 305 did a fairly good job.

As to all that junk, as long as you have the iron notched out you should only be hitting bottle caps and pull tabs, etc. And believe me, I've dug my share. :wink:

I think you're still in the learning curve, Please don't give up on it. You have a great detector in your hands.

Also, I have to say that finds in commonly searched areas are getting ahrder to come by, especially if there's a lot of detectorists hitting the site. I know that when I went to two parks on the outskirts of town that hadn't been hit, probably at all by anyone, I cleaned up nicely with coins. No jewelry though, darn it.

Try doing a little reasearch for some other sites, such as abandoned swimming areas and the like. You may find things improving.

Best of luck to you! :icon_thumleft:

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
If you don't dig the trash you will not find the jewlery. :headbang:

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kc10bull said:
One thing you could do to improve your skills a little faster is take some test targets. Example 10k ring small, large 14k mans wedding ring, a class ring, small ladies ring, an assortment of silver and clad coins. Then test them out with your detector, after verifying there is nothing in the ground where you place the object.
This is pretty much what I did when I had my X-Terra 70.

Put the coin on the ground scan the coil over it, and note the VDI number that it came up at. I created a list on paper as to the target and VDI value then made a cheat sheet. Entered it into MIS Word and created a smaller version and laminated it. Carried on the machine for the first month then after that there was no need for the cheat sheet as I started to remember what number related to coins and the like.

Hope this helps. You'll tame the detector in time and everyone of us here on the T-Net and other forums know exactly what you're goin through in the learning phase.

HH
DJH

OP
OP
B

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
Thanks for the ideas and support. I darn near bought a better (ie more expensive) detector, but then thought I will just keep going and see what happens. Figured it's got to be me, not the detector. I've got a line on some spots that are private, and some not that might get me at least away from all the junk. Found a place close to my cabin in northern michigan that has a local twp fire dept bldg on it. But it also has what appears to be an old schoolhouse or church on it. Got permission to hunt it, and I'm going to try later today or tommorrow. I'll report back.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcreekdad said:
Thanks for the ideas and support. I darn near bought a better (ie more expensive) detector, but then thought I will just keep going and see what happens. Figured it's got to be me, not the detector. I've got a line on some spots that are private, and some not that might get me at least away from all the junk. Found a place close to my cabin in northern michigan that has a local twp fire dept bldg on it. But it also has what appears to be an old schoolhouse or church on it. Got permission to hunt it, and I'm going to try later today or tommorrow. I'll report back.

It's definitely not the detector. I could blind fold you and feed you a bottle of whiskey and you'd still have a rockin day at the better sites I've hunted. It's a total misconception just because someone finds good stuff they are really good using a detector. Many are, but I guarantee there are some blind squirrels finding some pretty good nuts on here.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember rule #1 its a hobby not a job this is suposed to be fun an relaxing , if it stresses you out that bad step away for a week or 2 an come back at it with a clear head an fresh eyes .

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
diggin jimmy hoffa said:
kc10bull said:
One thing you could do to improve your skills a little faster is take some test targets. Example 10k ring small, large 14k mans wedding ring, a class ring, small ladies ring, an assortment of silver and clad coins. Then test them out with your detector, after verifying there is nothing in the ground where you place the object.
This is pretty much what I did when I had my X-Terra 70.

Put the coin on the ground scan the coil over it, and note the VDI number that it came up at. I created a list on paper as to the target and VDI value then made a cheat sheet. Entered it into MIS Word and created a smaller version and laminated it. Carried on the machine for the first month then after that there was no need for the cheat sheet as I started to remember what number related to coins and the like.

Hope this helps. You'll tame the detector in time and everyone of us here on the T-Net and other forums know exactly what you're goin through in the learning phase.

HH
DJH

I have found that the "coins on top of the ground to learn the detector", those coins are easy, are never my problem, but when they are in the soil, the real lessons begin. The return signals and tones from buried coins and stuff are a totally different world to many-a detector. I wish it was that easy to simply learn surface coins. jm2c

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a thought. Can you send it in and have it checked out? Maybe it needs a tune up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread