Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello..I have to say, this forum has only been but a blessing to me..I have learned more in the last year then i ever have... But Im getting to the point where I think i may need to upgrade.. I currently using ACE 250, and have found many coins and some pieces of jewlery, but im worried i cant get deep enough to find the older coins..my questions are

Should I upgrade to the next Garrett? or

Is it good to mismatch machines? Like if i got a different brand to "Resweep an area"

Are the Ace's good for "Relic hunting" like for larger items. i have some farm land to hit and dont want to waste time if its not sufficent
I have been dectecing for 3 yrs or so..but got really serious in the last year once i was able to gain access to some places

I only have the Ace250 now..but have been looking into the Ace1500 or something that can go deeper..

I would love to hear some of your thoughts...
I know this post is simliar to one from earlier..but that got a little crazy and didnt really tap into what i was getting at

thanks

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, first off, there ain't no Ace1500 that I'm aware of! :D

Honestly, the Ace 250 has a lot of loyal users and I wouldn't get rid of it just because you're moving up. That 250 will make a great back-up detector!

As to moving up, and I know I'm going to draw some angry responses to this, I just don't think the Garrett "higher end" detectors are worth the money. I don't think the performance can match those of the higher end White's, Fisher's, Tesoros, or Minelabs. I really wish Garrett would get off their duff and do serious upgrades to their equipment because it feels like they're just rehashing a lot of old technology. JMHO.

If you want older, deeper finds, then yes, you'll likely have to upgrade. Not that the 250 was a waste of your time, but there are limits to the technology in a less expensive detector.

You will need to ask yourself:

1. Where will you hunt primarily (beaches, old home sites, parks, etc.)?

2. Do you want/need a display screen or do you prefer audio detectors?

3. Will you be searching a lot of trashy areas?

4. Big one: what is your budget?

Once you have those answers, start using the search window on TreasureNet and scan through the discussions. You will find the opinions on most of the topics discussed above right there. You'll probably also notice the same questions getting answered over and over. :D

Good luck on your choice.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Well, first off, there ain't no Ace1500 that I'm aware of! :D

Honestly, the Ace 250 has a lot of loyal users and I wouldn't get rid of it just because you're moving up. That 250 will make a great back-up detector!

As to moving up, and I know I'm going to draw some angry responses to this, I just don't think the Garrett "higher end" detectors are worth the money. I don't think the performance can match those of the higher end White's, Fisher's, Tesoros, or Minelabs. I really wish Garrett would get off their duff and do serious upgrades to their equipment because it feels like they're just rehashing a lot of old technology. JMHO.

If you want older, deeper finds, then yes, you'll likely have to upgrade. Not that the 250 was a waste of your time, but there are limits to the technology in a less expensive detector.

You will need to ask yourself:

1. Where will you hunt primarily (beaches, old home sites, parks, etc.)?

2. Do you want/need a display screen or do you prefer audio detectors?

3. Will you be searching a lot of trashy areas?

4. Big one: what is your budget?

Once you have those answers, start using the search window on TreasureNet and scan through the discussions. You will find the opinions on most of the topics discussed above right there. You'll probably also notice the same questions getting answered over and over. :D

Good luck on your choice.

Haha..Im sorry about that..I meant the Ace 2500 GTI ... I have noticed alot of people are either Audio or Visual Minded..and thats where i start to think..should i have one that goes on tones..I would never part with the A250..i just didnt know if it would be good to try a completly different beast..i was reading that sometimes it takes a while to understand a machine when changing brands..

And to answer the questions to myself...i would sorta be doing it in all those places..and would love to try an Audio detector

Thanks for the reply

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if you were to upgrade to the next level Garrett, there would still be a serious learning curve, so don't be intimidated about trying another brand.

I keep my Tesoro Silver uMax as my second detector. My new main detector that I'm picking up today is the Minelab Sovereign GT. Completely different brands, but that doesn't bother me.

Besides, you might find that certain manufacturers make better detectors for certain applications. I don't think anybody dominates the entire field of metal detecting.

I hope I didn't offend with my Garrett remarks. They used make the best detectors out there at one time, but lately it feels like they're resting on their laurels. That having been said, if you like Garrett and want to get the next level Garrett, for heaven's sake do it! :icon_thumleft: A lot of times it isn't the detector as much as the person using it. If Garrett is for you, don't let me stop you. ;D

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Smudge said:
Even if you were to upgrade to the next level Garrett, there would still be a serious learning curve, so don't be intimidated about trying another brand.

I keep my Tesoro Silver uMax as my second detector. My new main detector that I'm picking up today is the Minelab Sovereign GT. Completely different brands, but that doesn't bother me.

Besides, you might find that certain manufacturers make better detectors for certain applications. I don't think anybody dominates the entire field of metal detecting.

I hope I didn't offend with my Garrett remarks. They used make the best detectors out there at one time, but lately it feels like they're resting on their laurels. That having been said, if you like Garrett and want to get the next level Garrett, for heaven's sake do it! :icon_thumleft: A lot of times it isn't the detector as much as the person using it. If Garrett is for you, don't let me stop you. ;D
You will enjoy the GT!!!!! I strap the housing (box) to my chest. Good choice :icon_pirat:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crossing over to another brand I think will make it a little tougher to learn, but a Minelab explorer beats a GTI for just about everything you want from a detector. I can't really comment on other brands because I've only played a bit.

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Ok Diggin, here's my two Lincolns. I have been researching a LOT of info on here as far as machines go, however, I'm doing so on a business level to see what people like, what seems to be most popular, what machines seem to be work horses AND keeps the owner happy. The Ace 250 has gotten a ton of praise and I beleive to be a GREAT starting machine. I have read more then once that it is limited to about 8" in finding coins and what have you. I can not comment on Garretts higher level machines for I don't know them. My first machine was a Whites, and it served me well and I became one with the machine, therefore I upgraded to another Whites (M6) but honestly, it's taking me starting alllllllllllll over again to pick up on the machines "language" and communication with one another. So in conclusion, whether you stay with Garrett or go another brand, it's still the same learning experience and won't make it any easier. You'll be going from Garrett Spanish to Garrett French lol! If Garrett makes you comfortable as far as it's performance and durability, then stick with them, otherwise venture out and try a different brand. Everyone will say how you cant beat their machine, not for nuttin, I praise my M6 the same way, but I doubt there are many out there that has tried EVERY machine possible. Read what everyone has to say, they are all educated I assure you, but like others have said, in the end, you'll have to draw your own conclusion...GOOD LUCK!!! :read2:

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my view...

You specifically mentioned hunting for relics at one point in your post. If that's what you're after specifically, well, I'd stick with the 250. Why? Well, with the exception of bullets and buttons, most relics are bigger in size than coins. Think cannon balls, belt plates, powder flasks, suspender clips, etc. So, even the most basic of machines should be able to pick these items up with no problem whatsoever due to their size.

If however, you are still interested in looking for coins, jewelry, etc. as well, then I'd definitely upgrade to something a bit more capable. Make no mistake, the 250 is a great little unit. Guy's are pulling up awesome stuff with it all the time. But, it's definitely NOT intended to find older (deeper) coins outside of say 7 or 8 inches. Now, that being said, most of my better finds were in that range anyhow, so, you'd really be upgrading to find those ultra-deepies. Say in the 8 to 12 or 14 inch range. If you have the bread and can do it, I'd say upgrade. Anything by White's or Minelab would be my recommendation as I owned both before and can attest to their quality.

Coming off the Ace, I'd strongly recommend something more turn-on-and-go so you can start hunting a.s.a.p. without a huge learning curve. The M6, MXT, Coinmaster & Prism by White's are VERY good, simple, deep units. I've been using the Safari and really like it. The tones might throw you off in the beginning (as they did for me), but, it goes deep and hits HARD on silver.

BTW, keep the 250 if you can as a back-up or lightweight unit to take to out-of-the-way places. You might ask why I am telling you this, however, if your detector ever breaks and you're out of the loop for a while...you'll find out why :thumbsup:

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them"----George Bush

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread