Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm cross-posting this because I'm not sure what category to put this in... :dontknow:

There's a old farm that's been torn down so I stopped today and seeked out the property owner. Like a few other times from other places he said "No, I can't have the liability". I completely understand where he's coming from. BUT... he added a quick suggestion.... he said "if you can get your attorney to sign something clearing me of any liability so that you won't sue me", then he has no problem with it.

What an awsome idea! I'm thinking most people won't bother with it, but I am. I left a voice mail (being it's a Saturday) with my local attorney (friend of the family too) explaining my wishes. So he'll call me back in a few days I'm sure, of course if I don't hear by Monday evening, I'll call him to push it along!

While driving back home from there I thought: "Can't I have something notarized where I can make a copy, fill in the property's name/address to the said property of interest to offer the land owner even if they don't say no?" Always covering myself and them at the same time?

My thought would be to have the original available at all times to show the property owner so they know that I'm legitimate and I can offer them a signed by me copy.

I could use some input, could this work?

I (the undersigned) will hold no liability to (property owner & address) if by any means I should hurt myself while on the said premises, etc...

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The days of showing up on some farmer's land to hunt with a detector or firearm are about gone because of some slugs sueing the land owner because they stepped in a hole to turn an ankle or some other mishap. It was their own fault but decided to see if they could get some $$$ out of the guy that let them use his property.

The release form is the best legal way to go when a handshake won't do it anymore. :coffee2:

OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right, I have no porblem with a release form. This owner asks for a laywer signed form so I will persue that with no problem.

I looked online at the "free" generic forms too. I guess they'll work for most owners.

For me, at least in my neck of the woods I typically don't have much problems with owners and liability. Most are intrigued and find it quite interesting as we do and are happy to have us. :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really too bad that's how it is and makes me thankful how easy going everyone is in my area. Here's how I can best sum it up, it's what a farmer said to us in the Spring.

"Sure go ahead, but I'm not responsible for you getting your boots dirty." My reply was... "No, you are getting the bill."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread