Pistol Probe Question

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using one for about a month but having some difficulty at times. When trying to pin point the target it beeps when you get close but I dont have a clue which direction the target is at......it signals from the sides as well as the end.... I had a hole dug today about 6" across and about 6" deep. When the probe would reach the top of the hole it would go off and give a solid signal all through the hole..... also there was a coin in the dirt that was dug from a hole and had trouble pin pointing because it was giving a solid signal all through the dirt..... any suggestions?

Upvote 0

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pinpointer has a sensitivity control. Backing it off, helps me locate the target.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, just cut back on the threshold; you'll still get good depth.

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried turning the threshhold all the way down and it didn't help.....I can take a coin and pass it in front of the barrell and up the sides of the barrell (about six inches)and it will sound off just the same. I found a nickel at a tot lot in pea gravel today and like to never have pin pointed it........it goes off if it just gets in the area...very frustrating....

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a harbor freight pinpointer is it. they seem to have a senstive control issue,they seem to be hard to turn down in really hot weather, my whites doesnt seem to do that the hf is my backup

otlew

Greenie
Apr 12, 2010
Friendswood, TX
m bryan said:
Been using one for about a month but having some difficulty at times. When trying to pin point the target it beeps when you get close but I dont have a clue which direction the target is at......it signals from the sides as well as the end.... I had a hole dug today about 6" across and about 6" deep. When the probe would reach the top of the hole it would go off and give a solid signal all through the hole..... also there was a coin in the dirt that was dug from a hole and had trouble pin pointing because it was giving a solid signal all through the dirt..... any suggestions?

This the problem I experience with the pistol probe, seems it is not as directional as the Garrett Pro Pointer. I used a friends Garrett the other day and it sounds off faster as you get nearer the target. Much more directional than my Pistol Probe.

RL OH

Feb 7, 2007
I have had two Pistol Probes and neither were hot down the side of the shaft like the Garrett. It should pinpoint directly off the tip. The other guys were spot on when they said the threshold(sensitivity) was set too high. If you have turned the threshold down and it is still erratic, give Gary at Detector Pro a call. He will get you going in the right direction. I absolutely love my Pistol Probe. R.L.

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RL OH said:
I have had two Pistol Probes and neither were hot down the side of the shaft like the Garrett. It should pinpoint directly off the tip. The other guys were spot on when they said the threshold(sensitivity) was set too high. If you have turned the threshold down and it is still erratic, give Gary at Detector Pro a call. He will get you going in the right direction. I absolutely love my Pistol Probe. R.L.
Thanks, I will give him a call. Almost chunked it today. Sweat pouring down my face and getting a solid signal all around the hole.....I'm sure it's just my unit and maybe I can get it worked out......Anyone have Gary's number?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
suprdave said:
sounds like a harbor freight pinpointer is it. they seem to have a senstive control issue,they seem to be hard to turn down in really hot weather, my whites doesnt seem to do that the hf is my backup

I just used my Harbor Freight Pinpointer today for the first time and didnt have any issues..i just dig the hole and ream around the edges until it tells me what side of the hole its on..and i noticed that if there is nothing on the sides..its still in the hole or in my scoop..I never used any other pinpoint to compare ..but found this to be very easy..and yes..the sensitivity button is "Sensitive"..but once you get it where it needs to be..i had no complaints..I think everyone should have one at least as a backup..and only 17 bucks :) :)

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the kind of problem you have described. When I scan the hole, the probe will become more sensitive after a few seconds. As I move it from one side to the other the tone will stop, go back to the reactive side and start moving slowly away then back same on the other side. I call it "bracketing". The probe reactive area will get smaller as you bracket the object eventually pinpointing it with in an inch or so. If you can get the tip pointed in that direction, it will be even easier. Hope that makes sense.
I hit menu on my Safari when I use the probe to reduce the chatter from the MD.
Anyway, works for me and I love my Pistol Probe.
Bunker

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
m bryan said:
RL OH said:
Thanks, I will give him a call. Almost chunked it today. Sweat pouring down my face and getting a solid signal all around the hole.....I'm sure it's just my unit and maybe I can get it worked out......Anyone have Gary's number?
Here is the number & web site.......... www.detectorpro.com .... phone .. 1-800-367-1995 ..& .. 1-845-635-3488

Attachments

• Treasure_Diving.jpg
    Treasure_Diving.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 168
  • moneypad.jpg
    moneypad.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 179

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread