Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello,
lost my Safari to the sea, will be replacing SOON!!
my local dealer sells whites, anyone got tips on which models they like?
not really keen on fancy VDU's, want depth & discrimination,
search mostly for relics & coins in shallow saltwater & beach.
Help me out here, I need a new unit fast & would appreciate some feedback !!
Thanks Herbie.

Upvote 0

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
The prism I - IV will not favor well In wet sand. However dry sand they work well and get some depth if you tork up sensetivity. That is just my expierience.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
This will not be the answer you want, but may be the answer you need.

If most of your hunting is in sand, in water or on the coast, a PI (pulse induction) detector will go deepest. I don't think White's makes any PI.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
If your are going into the wet or dry sand the M6 is great!!!! It has good depth on the beach and on land! Ive taken it into the water but not more than 6 inches, its not a water detector but it can go in shallow water al long as the box stays dry ;D. Hope you find one you love!!! :)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In or on saltwater beaches, you cannot go wrong with a PI machine. I have a Fischer Impulse 8, out of print, but it is still going strong. Probably paid for itself about 3 times over. Or a Garrett PI. TTC

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
I'm not going to ask how the Safari was lost. Sorry to hear that, but it does happen. Since you are wanting depth AND discrimination, I say go with the Beach Hunter. I don't know about the current one, as I have the original version, but it has decent depth and discrimination and is waterproof. The multi tones are nice too. It works great in the surf or on land. Some people have had leakage issues, but I have not. It really is a capable machine. Wether or not to use a PI machine is a personal choice. They do go deep, but you don't get the discrimination. Just my 2 cents....

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach Hunter I.D. just doesn't cut it for depth on dry or wet sand. V3 not even rainproof so a bit of a risk near water and not the depth of a good P.I. The Dual Field doesn't cut it for depth either despite what you may read. I consider it a noisy and crude update of the original (and not very good) Surfmaster PI. So I would not try to fit in with what your dealer sells but what works best in your area.

The Pulse Devil would suit you but its not going to be in production for some time and you say you want a detector replacement now.

You really need to have a chat to detector users on your local beach. Ask them why they are using the detector they have. As you say shallow water you could get away with not having a waterproof detector (perhaps make a basic water resistant cover that would help the detector survive a quick dunk) and would gain advantages of cost/coil interchangeability and better performance etc.

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks All!!

I appreciate the Input from you all !!
I'm gonna slow down a bit, The relics will be there next week,
This really reminds me of when I got my Safari, (first Detector),
it's a big decision, as it will be not just a tool, but trusted companion.
My girlfriend says "Toy, an Expensive Toy", I beg to differ, like all tools,
if you'll be using it a lot, buy quality, or you'll end up buying two.
Hoo Boy, back to the research & hard decisions on what I need most in an MD.
Good Day, & Great Digs, Herbie.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have and use the original whites surfmaster PI. I have dug boat anchors at 2', diamond rings at 10" etc.etc. It works in wet and dry salt beaches. I have pulled coins from black sand. the detector is waterproof. The new surfmaster is waterproof to 100' and goes down deeper.
in the woods, I have pulled relics from 2'. Mine is 10 years old and works like new. If I were you I would ask the dealer for a demostration.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn your post shows the problems with detector recommendations. The original Surfmaster PI would take a pack of 10 AA rechargables so that performance and running time was not compromised. Next version could not.

Then the Pro version finally came out. This time they removed the pulse delay and fitted a gain control. The effect was that the machine now didn't cope as well on black sand and was more unstable.

Mr.Bill (Bill Crabtree) has had a nice little income for years modding the Surfmaster into the machine it should have been. Lower uS setting for greater sensitivity to gold, replacement of the pulse delay etc.

Anyone buying a one needs to make certain what they are really buying.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
That's interesting information on the surfmaster. I wasn't aware of the differences between the years. I do know that my Beach Hunter ID is a different animal from the one currently available. I get great depth where owners of the current model tend to complain about it. Oh well..... anyways, thanks for the info.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want depth, I agree that PI's are the best choice, though they offer little in the way of discrimination. White's Beachhunter has an indicator light system that I understand from users works very well, warning if you've hit iron. You can also get the detector wet, which is another plus. White's Dual Field is another excellent salt water PI machine, but with no discrimination, it takes a good deal of practice to get used to. Some complain that the coils on both the PI's float too much, which is a hassle when used in the surf but great when used on land.

Another option I believe is the Minelab Sovereign GT. It has great depth and discrimination but shares the Safari's problem in that you cannot get the housing wet, only the coil. I will not recommend the Excalibur II right now because of too many quality control problems they are having with that unit.

Another popular choice is the Fisher CZ-21, but that one runs about $1200.00. I have never used it personally, but it gets good reviews.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
U.K.Brian: I use Duracells not rechargeable batts. They seam to almost last forever. Looks like I lucked out on buying my PI 10 years ago. Maybe he could find a good used one. Solve his problem good and cheap, an uncommon combination!

Smudge: You can get a non floating coil from Whites. It was an option.

I hope that sucker lasts forever!!!!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Smudge: You can get a non floating coil from Whites. It was an option.

Better double check on that. White's was selling one called "bouyant neutral" but folks are reporting that it floats every bit as much as the stock coil does.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Smudge: Listen, You're getting this first hand. I use to have one. They are weighted. Believe me ,they won't float. If anything, they are to heavy for air use. They also came standard with the diving version along with a short rod.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn is right, the diver 950 coil does not float.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Smudge: Listen, You're getting this first hand. I use to have one. They are weighted. Believe me ,they won't float. If anything, they are to heavy for air use. They also came standard with the diving version along with a short rod.

I stand corrected. :icon_thumleft:

Is that coil still available? I can being to tell you how many complaints I've seen about White's floating coil and the only solution being a sand filled sock tied around the shaft. :o

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Smudge: the standard PI coil does float, but it is light and easy to use out of the water or in the surf line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread