bullet depth question

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
Hi, I just aquired 50 acres that is about 1700 yards to the southwest of Wilder tower at chickamauga battle field in Georgia. Im pretty new to detecting for relics, I usually just look for coins at the parks here in Athens,TN where I live. So far I have only found some very old mule shoes. I have a few questions.

1- How should I go about detecting this property? Should I grid it off in sections?

2- What is the most common deapth of dropped and fired bullets and small cannon balls from the civil war?

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a relic hunter but I would definitely hunt ALL METAL mode. It's funny. Sometimes relics will be right on top, sometimes deep (7 inches and more). Look for and hunt along fences, tree groves, along paths, and all depressions. Some good info to be had on this net and books. Good luck. TTC

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1- Walk around and look for patches of iron, or other metal, which would indicate a higher activity zone. Look at everything you dig along the way as a hint to what might be close, and try to solve the puzzle. Gridding is ok to start if you don't mind wasting a few hours then finding out all the good stuff was on the other side of the field.

2- What type of land? (not that I have specific answers even once you reply)

OP
OP
B

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
The land is all wooded and most of the timber is less than 30 years old. There are 2 decent size ridge tops and a fence on top of each ridge and there are fields on the other side of the ridge , I cant hunt across the fence its different property. The valleys of both ridges are dry run offs,maybe creeks at one point in time. The rest of the property is flat to small rolling hills. The east side of the property borders hiway 27 south in Chickamauga.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have done some hunting on a farm next to Antetom and found a coffee can full of bullets,balls& 3ringers plus some round pistol balls app.36cal.
Most of them were in hills. Think fighting! shooting hill to hill.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bigalathenstn said:
The land is all wooded and most of the timber is less than 30 years old. There are 2 decent size ridge tops and a fence on top of each ridge and there are fields on the other side of the ridge , I cant hunt across the fence its different property. The valleys of both ridges are dry run offs,maybe creeks at one point in time. The rest of the property is flat to small rolling hills. The east side of the property borders hiway 27 south in Chickamauga.

Wooded is good. From my limited experience things just don't get very deep in the woods.
-Swartzie

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Most of my relic hunting here in Georgia has been in wooded areas. Typically bullets are running from ~6" to 14". If the land was previously tilled for farming or harvested and replanted for wood, a few could be turned up and shallower in depth.

Jeff

OP
OP
B

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
I have found some lead fragments and slivers of lead about 4 inches deep. I found a complete mule shoe about 8 inches and 2 half shoes a little bit deeper.I don't think my detector will detect past about 10 inches unless its a horse shoe size piece of iron,but it will detect a 22 cal lead bullet at 4 inches. I dug a hole 8 inches deep in my yard and burried a 50 cal maximag lead bullet and it will only give a faint signal with the sensitivity on max . I have a old fisher 1220x,seems to do ok.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread