You Just Never Know What You Might Find

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just never know what you might find, and here's why!

Sometimes it’s hard to look upon a piece of ground or section of water with a positive attitude. “Sure, we’d all like to hunt on those prime pieces of land or sections of water with long and rich histories, but what you’re about to learn here is that just about any piece of land can harbor a long and rich history that you may never hear word of. A few cases in point:

A few years back two men broke into a house one night and without realizing it they stole a very valuable coin collection. In fact they stole several things without having any real knowledge of collectible values, they just needed to turn all they could into cold hard cash. During this robbery they stole the coins because they were easy to grab and to them the coins represented instant spendable cash. During the getaway after their successful heist, as they were driving around in the country, they sorted through the coins and they kept anything that looked like it could be easily spent, the rest they tossed out the window, not once, but twice. The first time they tossed the coins out the window the car was moving and the handful of coins ended up being tossed into a homeowner’s front yard. The second time they tossed the coins out the window the car was at a complete stop at a county road intersection, these coins ended up being tossed into the corner of a farmer’s field. All of this is a matter of record as the two men were eventually caught by local authorities. Now the problem in all of this was that the two robbers couldn’t be sure of the exact yard or intersection so it became impossible for the local authorities to recover the coins. At that time it was estimated that those two handful of coins was worth about sixty thousand dollars. Those coins are still there, in some uncertain country front lawn and in the corner of some uncertain country farm field. All that is known for sure is that two men did in fact toss the coins and that after the heist the two robbers spent a great deal of time driving about in the country in an area that included several square miles of two different counties. And as I stated earlier, this is an actual documented case that took place in northeast Indiana.

On more then one occasion while holding various conversations with older people they have been more then happy to tell me about the many valuable rings and other valuable items they had known to be lost in their time. Some were lost in gardens, others were lost while swimming off the end of a lake pier, or in the church lawns, and so on and so on. These are valuable little histories one might never hear about in regards to that not so exciting piece of land or small spot of unappealing water. Sometimes you can narrow these locations down and gain permission to hunt them, sometimes you can do neither, but the point is this; “If you get a chance to hunt somewhere, hunt it, because you just never know what you might find.”

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll second that! As a younger man, back in the BFO days, I hunted a "sledding" hill in the hometown of Milwaukee, WI. I recently (wow! might be 2 years ago now) suggested to Alpha105 that we hunt a hill I know has lots of cash. I took him to the hill only to find it overgrown with weeds 4 feet high! I was embarrased. It obviously was nolonger used for sledding. We hunted the area just off the roadway anyway and he found 64 cents in one hole. The point is, the old spots are still there, just sometimes overgrown. TTC

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great topic bigscoop. People have been losing things since the beginning of time, and you never know where you will find stuff.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, man has been everywhere and you just never know when you might turn up a real stunner? :dontknow:

Bradley137

Aug 4, 2007
DIXIE
Detector(s) used
Minelab, White's, Fisher, Tesoro
I'll tell you another thing that's overlooked. Around 20 yrs. ago I was hunting a site with newer developement when I found some older coins and civil war artifacts that shouldn't have been there. Upon more research I found out that before they could build on the site it had to be filled in. No telling where they got the fill and top soil. I wish I did. Also you never know where those old homesites are which were forgotten decades ago. Those soldiers had to live somewhere. I found a Confederate button one time at an old home place in a county where no military action had occured. You just never know what your gonna find.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe it was Charles Garrett that was quoted as saying that there are more coins in the ground than currently in circulation. I believe it. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread