code of ethics - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sep 2004
    Omaha, NE
    3 times

Re: code of ethics

Inject a little humor and everyone smiles. HH to all!
    It is better to try something and fail...Than to try nothing and succeed. Dr Robert Schuller
    You can wait for things to happen by chance...Or you can make things happen by choice. Said by me.
    Improvise, adapt and overcome. Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge

us
    Minelab Metal Militia

Aug 2004
    Smoky Mountains
    Minelab Whites
    27 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

LOL! And now if we could just get some toothless, lesbian, strippers to jump in on the battle, this thread would be complete!

Dirtypaws

Workin' hard every day
    Never notice how
    the time slips away
    People come, seasons go
    We got something
    that'll never grow old.

I don't care
    if the sun don't shine
    And the rain keeps pouring
    down on me and mine
    'Cause our kind of love
    never seems to get old
    It's better than silver and gold.

I used to have a treasure chest
    Got so heavy that I had to rest
    I let it slip away from me
    Didn't need it anyway
    so I let it slip away.

I don't care
    if the sun don't shine
    down on me and mine
    'Cause our kind of love
    never seems to get old

I don't care
    if the sun don't shine
    down on me and mine
    'Cause our kind of love
    never seems to get old

------Neil Young

Just gotta keep things in perspective I guess
    Good post Coinshooter...Like an honest person..Not afraid to speak their mind.

DirtyPaws

May 2003
    Sunny Southern CA Coast
    Minelab Sovereign
    131 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Well, besides those two lines from the "Big Important Book on Life and Ethics", there is what the law says:

At least in my State (California) the law is written in such a way that an item is declared 'lost' when an owner misplaces it accidently. It legally still belongs to that person so long as that person believes he/she can hope to recover it and makes a reasonable effort toward such a recovery. If that person gives up, and the item is found subsequently, then it belongs to the finder.

So it seems that if a ring is lost today and that person walks away, and I find it tonight, I can legally claim it. Gray areas start to show up if that person hangs around waiting for someone with a detector to show up, or comes back the next day with a detector of his/her own. But if we never meet, who can prove which way it should go?

Years ago I heard in a detecting club that the suggested moral code was this: If you find something, run an ad in the 'Lost and Found' section of the newspaper. This can usually be done for free to the finder for an ad that runs 3 days. If someone can describe it, its theirs. If not, its yours.

Police have told me that if you find something worth $100 or more, it should be turned in to them. If after 90 days nobody claims it, its yours and you get it back. If an item is worth less than $100, it isn't worth worrying about.

So Coinshooter, you seem hazy on determining when -exactly- ownership of an item shifts from the loser to the finder, if ever. Which of these (if any) do you think is reasonable, and why? If others are unreasonable, why is that? I'm not accusing you or chastizing your opinion. I'd really just like to understand why you might think something I found 5 years ago, for which I've tried and couldn't find the original owner, might in your mind still belong to him/her, and contradictorially why you think that returning a ring you found with someone's name on it shouldn't be pursued? It seems to me that one needs to decide for himself what is 'fair' or 'ethical', and just be consistent with it and let it rest at that.

BTW-- I don't base my own sense of morality or ethics on how proud my parents may or may not be. That comes directly from my own conscience and nowhere else. You are free to disagree with the values I've chosen, but you should know I've given a lot of thought to them and won't dismiss them easily. Where I have 'drawn the line' is arrived at after careful consideration, and all I have to do is see where any particular item falls in regard to that line. Hopefully this will help you decide where you should draw yours.

"...and then I will finally be able to take over the world!"
    - Brain, in 'Pinky and the Brain'

-- Rattus Labyrinthicus

Charter Member

Mar 2003
    So. Cal.
    255 times

I guess as far as CA law is concerned, the ring is mine. But I guess in my mind, I have justified things to a point by drawing the line at, if there is an inscription on the inside of the ring that can be traced to an owner, then regardless of how long it has been lost, it still says it's their property, but according to CA law, this is not the case (if they finally abandon the search). Oh, woe is me... I'm sooooo confused!!!! I've already made up my mind on this ring and I'm not saying anymore about it specifically.
    As far as the cops are concerned, I don't trust them to give anything back, so that's out. They can just as easily say they lost it (but I know they didn't do this with your gun, Labrat. That 's totally surprises me that they would have given this back).
    As far as when ownership shifts, I still feel ownership shift to me when I find it. My beef is still with the folks on here that say that "may your soul rest in hell for keeping a lousy piece of gold that is someone else's (actual words from the past on here directed at me because I was honest enough to say I wanted to keep an inscribed ring I liked), however, I guess I should just let this lie, as it seems there are relatively few people taking that stance this time around. It IS interesting though that when the stakes go up to a bunch of bullion instead of a crappy ring, people's opinions on being honest change rapidly. Human nature I guess.
    As far as the question we have all been discussing, yes, it is up to the individual to determine their own "code of ethics". That is the reason I have pondered this question and brought it up. Because there ARE differing viewpoints. It is very interesting to us as readers to see what they are. Yes, I have been struggling with mine. That is why this post touched a nerve. Especially when the name calling started at the top of the thread.
    It's easy to step back and throw stones, but if you treasure hunt long enough, this will happen to each and every one of you. Then you will see where YOUR true "ethics" stand.

May 2003
    Sunny Southern CA Coast
    Minelab Sovereign
    131 times

For those still wondering about how to deal with these types of issues, I recommend "The Pearl" by John Steinbeck. Great story. (I posted a synopsis under the bullion thread "quick question" under "Today's Finds".)

-- Rattus Labyrinthicus

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9864 times

Hey northoceanbeach,did you achieve your objective here?Did you actually have an objectiveOr are your statements merely the ramblings of an unscrupulous,I know everything,the world owes me a life,screw everyone else "young fart"?You've got 38 replies and no feedback from you.Step up,become a man,explain yourself!!!!!!!signed not yet an" old fart" and definitely not a right wing conservative.

Charter Member

Mar 2003
    So. Cal.
    255 times

I think he was a hit and run victim (or maybe a run and hit victim?). 8)

us
    Minelab Metal Militia

Aug 2004
    Smoky Mountains
    Minelab Whites
    27 times

He is/was most likely what are known on other interest forums as a "Troll". Trolls make posts containing known controversial subjects in the hopes of stirring up a flamewar between the other members of the forum with the intention of never returning to defend their statements or beliefs.

May 2003
    Sunny Southern CA Coast
    Minelab Sovereign
    131 times

No war here-- just serious introspection!

8)

-- Rattus Labyrinthicus

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    57 times

Troll, maybe. NOB definitely did try to put the wedge between some of us. Labrat, Coinshooter, I respect and like both of you guys so kiss and make up now, that's an order.

us
    Minelab Metal Militia

Aug 2004
    Smoky Mountains
    Minelab Whites
    27 times

Some actually do return to defend their statements, but usally it's just to trade insults and name call. Most never return but he in fact might still be here under a new name, as Trolls are masters at disguises

Charter Member

Mar 2003
    So. Cal.
    255 times

Labrat and I are actually friends. I'm just giving him grief for fun! 8)

us
    Minelab Metal Militia

Aug 2004
    Smoky Mountains
    Minelab Whites
    27 times

Yes, CoinShooter i saw right thru you two. You guys did not fool me.

If future Troll invasions take place it's best to just ignore their posts. Sometimes its hard as they can really piss you off but that is what they want. Usally when ignored they get bored and go away.

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9864 times

Whew boy! I'm glad that's over with.I think i'll take your advise next time,True_Metal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links