Night Hunting

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never done it personally. Don't think I ever would either. First, more chance for injury. Second, you just look really suspicious. You're practically inviting yourself to some pretty ugly situations. The only exception might be the beach, but, aside from that, there's more than enough time during sunlight...unless you work days :tongue3: :laughing7:

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
I have not hunted at night on land, but I have done it on the beach. It was honestly quite fun. Cool, quiet, and the water was beautiful. We had 2 flashlights each. One mounted on the detector shaft and the other for use when digging. Some folks only use light when finding a difficult target, but I had to have it all the time as it was a new moon and couldn't see squat. I just had to try it, and probably wont do it again. As mentioned before, you do look suspicious and could be easily targeted by a criminal. If you must do this, check curfews and take a buddy or two for sure.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have no visibility problems, as long as there's a semi-moon out. And as long as you don't need a meter to watch (like, if you're using a tone ID machine, or simply, a machine with no TID at all, etc....). There's usually enough star and moon-light to let you steer clear of bushes, trees, etc... And don't use a headlamp, because what happens is, your eyes will become fixed to that light (your pupils), and pretty soon, you can not see anything out side the beam. Better to let your eyes become adjusted to the dark, and it'll just be like walking at night: you don't need a light to walk down a country road, at night.

The reasons for hunting at night can be varied. Like, to fit with a work schedule, or to hit something before it's slated to be filled with fill-dirt the next morning, etc... And it's so peaceful anyhow. No kids or busy-bodies to ask questions, etc... Take a flashlight to stop and look at dates on coins, or whatever. Otherwise, just let your eyes adjust.

Gamblur

Apr 22, 2009
San Diego CA
Detector(s) used
Excal II
I am no seasoned pro, I have only been hunting for about 8 months now but here is my input:

I used to hunt parks at night (7 pm to about 11 pm) when I first started as I was a little self conscious about it and didn't really know what I was doing. I would carry a small flashlight with me and some pepper spray just in case (I have stopped carrying the spray). Most people wont notice you but you have to keep an eye out constantly as depending on the park you are in, there can be some interesting characters (I wouldn't go to parks like that, its not worth the risk). I can be nice at night though and I only went to better parks that I was very familiar with. At the parks I went to there were always softball games so I wasn't the only one at the park. I did have a police officer shine his light at me one time but I just waved and he drove away.

As for other places like schools etc. probably not a good idea unless you have some permission.

The morning is really the best time to go as it is quiet and you can see!

I now mostly beach hunt, went out at 4 am for the first time yesterday and it is very pleasant (although I was super tired at work that day!). I beach hunt at night and have never had any problems. However when I say night, I mean sunset to about 11pm.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
I like the idea of hunting during a sports event. Great idea! There would be a bit of light to see by, less heat, bugs, ect. I can't walk a straight line in the dark or keep from tripping on something, so you guys might be on to something here. You're creating a monster I think!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to hunt at night, both land and water. I use one of those little headlamps that I can turn on when needed. One word of caution though, know when to take a buddy as there are a lot of nut jobs out there (though I've never had any problems it's still creepy when someone approaches you, and they will if they're curious.) I've hunted all night long many times as this is a great time to hit those otherwise crowded freshwater beaches where rips and undertows are not a factor. It's my favorite time to hunt a freshwater beach!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of good spots over here You just get never permission to hunt. That can have different reasons. You dig holes, they just dont like Your face, You are a grave robber or detecting is just strictly forbidden and so on... I dont care. I never hurt anyone so its ok for me. Have a LED headlamp with red light, nearly unvisible from a few meters away and a detector with multitone. Its fun to have a place just for myself in the moonlight :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread