If you could design your own detector...

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What would your future detector of your dreams be like?

Here's mine:

- Lightweight.
- Batteries inside modified upper rod assembly.
- A small control pad at the top of the handle (no screen).
- Wi-Fi headphones standard. Available audio jack for use with regular headphones.
- A high-definition monocular, or HUD (heads-up display), for the screen. You would always have the screen in front of you while swinging and it could show a whole PC screen's worth of data. The control pad on the handle would navigate the options on the HUD. No cables, no glancing at the display on a swinging detector. I think it would be great, but you'd have to test it to be sure.

Attachments

• h2a.jpg
    h2a.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 627
  • h2ae.jpg
    h2ae.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 610
  • 2a3.jpg
    2a3.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 603
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont forget the gps and mapping software!!!

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dekalb33 said:
dont forget the gps and mapping software!!!

That would be awesome. Map of the area on the screen...your GPS track showing where you've been (help to keep those grid lines straight)...press a button and it marks the location of the find. Then, you could take it home and, if they included a USB port, you could download the map/track to your computer. That would be really cool.

littledigger said:
Depends if you are talking realistically or futuristically.
here are some thoughts
1) solar power panel for recharching batteries(could be small enough to be worn on your back)
2) a Pause switch to conserve battery power while digging (a must)
3) a plastic chip (like a poker chip) dispenser in the middle of the loop to mark where to dig.
" so many times I have been off target or had to re-scan because I took my eye off the spot"
4) Ability of machine to scan all possible range of settings( such as threshold, discrimination,frequency,ETC.) simultaniously. This would help prevent any missed targets. This has happened to me before, I have missed a target and then chaged my settings and surprise,there it is only an inch below the ground.
5) a modular card design for easy replacement at home. just pull out the old one and slide in the new one.
6) works on land for coinshooting, relic hunting, nugget shooting, goes deep for cache hunting, or submersible for fresh or salt water hunting.
7) And of coarse 3d or x-ray capabilities would be nice.

Did I miss anything?

It could be done with today's technology, but the price point would be high. I like the solar power and pause idea. And the ability to scan the settings would be interesting...would it do it continuously or only when desired, though? The nice thing about the big screen would be that you could see all your settings at one time...it could display the target response, the GPS/Map and all your settings all at once!

HH!
TBGO

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not.

I'm pretty happy with what's out there now.

The Only thing I'd change,

Would be

1. Weight, to 1 Lb. or less.

2. Depth to Infinity with Exact Depth readout ability even on a 3 Cent Silver piece..
So I can Decide IF I want to dig that far **

3. Solar Battery Charger, But not seperate from detector.
it would have to work like a Solar calculator works.

I would not want Exact I.D.
Half the Fun is the Supprise.

** Of course, Maby a toggle Switch, to switch to Exact I.D., ( Even I.D. a Silver Dime inside a Steel Box) for
Cache Hunting, or Lost Item Finding in case someone looses a ring
and asks for me to locate it.
OR if the Depth says 5 Feet, to check IF It's worth digging
5 Feet.

OH. Of course it would have the Ability, to make the Person
who owns it immortal & Ageless, along with the ability to even convince Everyone including the Government
to let me search Everywhere I Desire.
so I could Treasure Hunt
Forever :P and a day after that, Everywhere I want. ;)

Maby it just needs to make me Invisible when I turn it on,

and a Time Machine Connected.

and if I'm out of town for a week,
Be willing to Pay For & spend the Night with me
in a Motel ;)

S

stefen

Now, if I could sit on my patio with a remote viewer on the laptop and a cold beer, it would be great.

Would, however need to have a self contained recovery option and of course, a demucker and relic depository.

Speaking of depository, direct deposit into my account for all common coinage, and the ability to analyize the value of the more rare coinage and negotiate sales.

TG77

Greenie
Mar 22, 2006
Arkansas
1) How much is this new MD gonna cost?

2) Will they be on sale at Walmart so I can put one on lay-a-way?

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking that the 3-D capabilities would be possible. With the right coil, freq's and software you could diplay a rotating 3-D model of the target on the screen that would "firm up" as more passes over the target were made.

All these goodies we're talking about would, of course, need some processing power...imagine (for example)..."The New DFX III...Powered by the New Pentium V!"

Truthfully, I don't know if all the additional capabilities would give you an advantage. I DO think that the HUD would be great for ergonomic reasons and screen size.

HH!
TBGO

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My idea detector is possible to make. Listen up Minelab! Take the Explorer II and add a Periscope probe (a Canadian based product hard to get much info on it.) The probe has along SS tip and can tell what is in the ground ( rejecting trash when the tip of the probe touches the target ). By combining these two pieces of equipment you would not waste time digging useless targets. This could be done for about $300 to $400 added to the price of an Explorer II.

Ed Donovan

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI
Why don't the MD companies ask this question? I would love to test some of these things out.

Mine would be based on today's technology (repeating some of the posts):

Built-in wireless headset
GPS w/ USB Port
Memory cards and cards so you could create your own programs on a PC and run on MD
Solar (I agree with a previous post. With good cells and current technology, it could be on the unit)
Battery upgrade: Use 2 lithium rechargable batteries. Lighter and less space.
Lighter coils. There needs to be more search on this. The ones I have seen are really old technology.
I like the idea of a dual coil set-up to get more of a 3-D image generation. For depths to 12-14" that seems doable.

OK, when it is ready, I will be glad to test any of these. WHITES: Take notice.

CAM from Colorado

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget Whites. Ever notice the style of the boxes hasn't changed, only the color. None are hipmountable execpt the water detectors. You may see some of these from Garrett or Tesoro or maybe even Minelab in the near future.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All I want is a clock on the display......and the wireless headphones sound good.......and the GPS.....That's all I need. (Steve Martin in "The Jerk".) ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I like what we have now. I think any SUPER great advancements will only ruin the fun and challenge of the game.

This sort of thing happened in Ham Radio. Back in the early days it was a challenge for those early pioneers to reach someone in another state or country via Morse Code. Today with all the new mega power equipment you might as well buy a cell phone. Actually, with all the drop-out signals on cells today they are far more of a challenge.

Nah, lets keep what we got for a while and enjoy the thrill of the hunt. It will be gone sooner than we think.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so MB you use a rotary phone then hu, or the "candle stick" type still, oh sorry carrier pigeon ? ::) ;D

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pros: More info more easily accessed could produce more finds.
Cons: More technology = more problems.

Simplicity does have its advantages. I still like the HUD. :)

HH!
TBGO

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
dekalb33 said:
so MB you use a rotary phone then hu, or the "candle stick" type still, oh sorry carrier pigeon ? ::) ;D

Actually I do own a candle stick style phone. I always get a big laugh when company tries to use it. It's really funny. Some don't know which end you talk into. ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A two position switch on the pinpointer. First notch would pinpoint where to dig. Second notch would dig a hole up to a foot deep! Do away with all that getting up and down for we guys with bad backs! Monty

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would like to see a detector with the HUD, X-ray/3D imaging, & a computer system would automatically fill in a user defined log sheet (find, depth, GPS settings, etc) that could be down loaded when you get home to create a map with flags on it so that you could see where all the finds where. It may come in handy in trying to establish where to look further (since I hunt a lot of fields where old homes were). Put the name Tesoro on it and I'll buy one.

RON(PA)

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about a machine that was both PI and VLF?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread