A true story...

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm out at my local park this morning doing some testing on my Safari. I hate hunting parks - especially newer ones - but, just wanted to test a few settings out, etc.

Was there about 15 minutes or so when I casually look up and see some fella walking my way. I can see he's armed with a detector. Anyways, he mosies on over to me and introduces himself. After a bit of chit chat, he mentions he's having a few problems with his new detector. He said he was brand new to the hobby. So, I asked him what the problem was. His reply...

"I ain't finding anything"

I looked over to his machine and noticed it was one of those cheapie ones sold by Harbor Freight. The one with the old-school needle in the "VDI" screen. I didn't want to put down his machine, so, I just said it looks like a nice detector and mentioned I didn't know too much about it. Told him I'd give him a few pointers though to get him started on the right foot.

I then asked him what it was that he was primarily looking to find. He replies (completely dead-pan)...

"Gold coins and things like that"

While trying to keep a straight face, I told him that might be a bit hard to do in local parks. So, of course, he looks at me like I just bad-mouthed his wife and children. After a bit more explaining and trying to "educate" him, he literally tosses his machine on the ground between me and him and says...

"I think you're full of s*@t". To which I replied, "Why is that?". He said..."Because obviously your not gonna be gentleman enough to tell me where to find the expensive stuff".

After yet again explaining the hard work and virtues of research, trying different sites, etc. he cuts me off mid-sentence and stated "Save it". He then grabs his detector off the ground and wanders off to another section of the park. After getting over the shock of speaking with such an obvious nutcase, I went back to what I doing.

About 40 minutes later while I'm swinging my machine, I see this wack-job heading my way again.
I look toward him and nice as can be say..."Any luck?" His face lit up like a Christmas tree, he approaches me and sticks out his hand palm up and says..."Take a look at this". In his hand he has maybe a buck in clad, a junky butterfly pin and boy scout slide. I dipped my head down to take a closer look, and he snatches his hand closed and says..."I obviously don't need your help. By the way, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't touch that spot over there as it seems real good and I'm gonna come back tomorrow". I said..."Sure, no problem man".

He then turns around and walks off into the distance. I actually thought I was being punked or filmed for Candid Camera. It takes all types. And how was YOUR morning :tongue3: :laughing9:

Upvote 0

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:
I didn't go over to the spot he was detecting in since I was busy doing my own thing. However, wouldn't be surprised if the moron left huge craters in the ground.

And yes, I WILL leave his spot alone. Matter of fact, he can have the whole park. It's newer. From the 60's or so. Ain't a thing there aside from clad. I wish him luck :laughing7:
I'd go to the junk yard & get a can full of pull tabs. Then seed the area with a couple hundred about 1/2" deep (don't want to get beyond the depth of his machine). Then over seed it with BB size balls of aluminum foil. Bet Ole Rudy will make at least two trips back to HF to exchange his "gold findin machine" :D ;D If he has the stones to ask you for help, tell him the polarity limiter on his machine is too far open, and he needs to open it up & adjust it otherwise it's like his coil is detecting upside down;D
Bet you a handful of clad he'll try to turn his coil over ::) ;D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread