A true story...

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm out at my local park this morning doing some testing on my Safari. I hate hunting parks - especially newer ones - but, just wanted to test a few settings out, etc.

Was there about 15 minutes or so when I casually look up and see some fella walking my way. I can see he's armed with a detector. Anyways, he mosies on over to me and introduces himself. After a bit of chit chat, he mentions he's having a few problems with his new detector. He said he was brand new to the hobby. So, I asked him what the problem was. His reply...

"I ain't finding anything"

I looked over to his machine and noticed it was one of those cheapie ones sold by Harbor Freight. The one with the old-school needle in the "VDI" screen. I didn't want to put down his machine, so, I just said it looks like a nice detector and mentioned I didn't know too much about it. Told him I'd give him a few pointers though to get him started on the right foot.

I then asked him what it was that he was primarily looking to find. He replies (completely dead-pan)...

"Gold coins and things like that"

While trying to keep a straight face, I told him that might be a bit hard to do in local parks. So, of course, he looks at me like I just bad-mouthed his wife and children. After a bit more explaining and trying to "educate" him, he literally tosses his machine on the ground between me and him and says...

"I think you're full of s*@t". To which I replied, "Why is that?". He said..."Because obviously your not gonna be gentleman enough to tell me where to find the expensive stuff".

After yet again explaining the hard work and virtues of research, trying different sites, etc. he cuts me off mid-sentence and stated "Save it". He then grabs his detector off the ground and wanders off to another section of the park. After getting over the shock of speaking with such an obvious nutcase, I went back to what I doing.

About 40 minutes later while I'm swinging my machine, I see this wack-job heading my way again.
I look toward him and nice as can be say..."Any luck?" His face lit up like a Christmas tree, he approaches me and sticks out his hand palm up and says..."Take a look at this". In his hand he has maybe a buck in clad, a junky butterfly pin and boy scout slide. I dipped my head down to take a closer look, and he snatches his hand closed and says..."I obviously don't need your help. By the way, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't touch that spot over there as it seems real good and I'm gonna come back tomorrow". I said..."Sure, no problem man".

He then turns around and walks off into the distance. I actually thought I was being punked or filmed for Candid Camera. It takes all types. And how was YOUR morning :tongue3: :laughing9:

Upvote 0

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Wow!! What a wacko.......Maybe it's best if you steer clear of that park for a while until he gets burned out on finding zinc pennies. Some people are just rude and clueless. It was very nice of you to try and teach him the ropes. Did he dig decent plugs, or did he tear up the grass?? Could be bad PR for the hunting in the area.

OP
OP
N

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't go over to the spot he was detecting in since I was busy doing my own thing. However, wouldn't be surprised if the moron left huge craters in the ground.

And yes, I WILL leave his spot alone. Matter of fact, he can have the whole park. It's newer. From the 60's or so. Ain't a thing there aside from clad. I wish him luck :laughing7:

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
Sometimes that's nature's way of warning ya...Didn't have a gumboot on his head did he? :tongue3:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
well it's obvious who the "nutcase" was here. It was njnydigger for not telling him where and how to find gold coins. Sandals is right, njnydigger was stirring up trouble alright! :o

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to agree with Jeep on this one. Plant some coins and sit back and watch the action. :happy1:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one even better- plant the coins near his spot and you dig them up while he watches. Now that would be classic. :headbang:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup even better! :icon_pirat:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait, do it while wearing Iron Patches Spandex. :headbang:

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this.......don't bury anything, just be sure you leave home with a whole pocket full of, "really good stuff". Hunt close to him, but not too close, just close enough that he can see you digging a lot and then admiring your obvious treasures. A guy like that, you just know he's going to come over to see what you've found. Be gracious and friendly and show him all your goodies, then ask him to please leave your spot alone, just as you did for him. :laughing7:

OP
OP
N

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great suggestions guys!!! Love it :headbang:

Now if only I can figure out where to get one of those spandex suits that I.P. wears :laughing7:

I want one as tight as possible so I can show off my perfect hiney while going to battle with that wacko from the park.

Oh yeah, the fake gold coins added to the mix would be sweeeeeeet.

P.S. - Almost forgot to ask I.P. Do I have to wear underwear beneath the spandex suit? If so, according to your experience, does boxers or briefs work better??

P.P.S. - Don't the boxers get all jumbled up under that tight, hot spandex? Or, will we have to agree to disagree yet again?? :laughing7: :laughing9:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proper minelab suit etiquette, if its your suit where it as you please. If your borrowing a suit from IP, probably should wear some sort of undergarment, Your choice boxers or briefs. And under no circumstances shall there be any stuffing. :laughing7: :laughing9:

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I feel sorry for anyone that has to deal with him on a regular basis.

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to laugh! There are some unique individuals out there...
omm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread