WE NEED RAIN!!!

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know where the rest of you are, but, it is getting RIDICULOUS here in New Jersey. We haven't had any signifigant rainfall in months. The water conservation alerts have already gone out - the precursor of a drought situation :BangHead: Add to all of this, blazing hot temparatures of AT LEAST 90+ everyday with searing humidity and you can guess what kind of season we're having :tongue3:

Tried swinging the coil this morning, but, I lasted all of one hour. I was drenched in sweat, dealing with TONS of surface junk and it seemed as if I was getting like 3 or 4 inches of depth on my Safari. And digging? Don't ask!!! More like slicing a sheet of sod off and chiseling the clumps of dirt away. Threw in the towel and hit a Dairy Queen for a nice cone. Best move of the day :laughing7:

Just curious, they say this has been one of the hottest Summer's on record in decades - at least for us here in NJ. Is it THIS bad for the rest of you across the country?

Think I'm gonna concentrate on some other pursuits until the Fall, or, at least until we get a decent saturating rain. Detecting is supposed to be fun, not a headache. Believe I'll breakout the fishing rod to finish the Summer off :fish:

Upvote 0

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Ask and ye shall receive...... in the fall! In OK it's suppose to be +100 until Saturday. I went out last week end and couldn't penetrate the ground to retrieve my goodies. It is cooler in the morning so that's when I'm out and about. Look for places that water the ground. If you can get the ok, digging is still possible. Hang in there, the rain will come sometime!

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot and dry here in east Texas. Temps around a hundred and heat index 105 or so.....ground is HARD. Need some rain....Have blisters on my hands from trying to dig through the crust.....dug two clad pennies today and called it a day. Between the heat and the sweat in my eyes, it's just not worth it...lol

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need we say more :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• heat#3.jpg
    heat#3.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 213
  • heat#3.jpg
    heat#3.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 212
  • heat#4.jpg
    heat#4.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 214
  • heat#5.jpg
    heat#5.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 221

capri_auto

Apr 6, 2010
njnydigger said:
I don't know where the rest of you are, but, it is getting RIDICULOUS here in New Jersey. We haven't had any signifigant rainfall in months. The water conservation alerts have already gone out - the precursor of a drought situation :BangHead: Add to all of this, blazing hot temparatures of AT LEAST 90+ everyday with searing humidity and you can guess what kind of season we're having :tongue3:

Tried swinging the coil this morning, but, I lasted all of one hour. I was drenched in sweat, dealing with TONS of surface junk and it seemed as if I was getting like 3 or 4 inches of depth on my Safari. And digging? Don't ask!!! More like slicing a sheet of sod off and chiseling the clumps of dirt away. Threw in the towel and hit a Dairy Queen for a nice cone. Best move of the day :laughing7:

Just curious, they say this has been one of the hottest Summer's on record in decades - at least for us here in NJ. Is it THIS bad for the rest of you across the country?

Think I'm gonna concentrate on some other pursuits until the Fall, or, at least until we get a decent saturating rain. Detecting is supposed to be fun, not a headache. Believe I'll breakout the fishing rod to finish the Summer off :fish:

I'm in the same boat too... I know what you are dealing with. I am getting good depth with my explorer still but am falsing like crazy and its just tough detecting with the nasty heat...

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We had a severe winter down here by Florida standards, and Spring lasted all of about three weeks before we jumped straight into the crazy heat of summer.

This usually means the coming Winter will be a mild one, so I'm hoping the same applies for you folks too.

We're pretty used to heat down here in the Sunshine State, but we are really feeling for you guys up the east coast and out in Texas.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It just started coming down in Cleveland at about 3:30pm; not very heavy but at least it's something. Other than that it's been about the same weather that everyone else is having. Was able to tolerate the heat for a few hours yesterday thanks to an intermittent breeze, but trying to dig through that dry, rock hard soil was wearing me out. I did find a nice '45 mercury though, that kinda made it worth it.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same conditions here in Ct. :(

At least with the dry ground though, the zincolns won't rot as fast. :tongue3:

OP
OP
N

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!!! At least I know it's not just me :tongue3:

This is the most horrific Summer I can remember in a looooong time. I'm not one for hot weather anyways, I ALWAYS complain, but, this is unbearable :help:

We've had 2 or 3 downpour storms the whole Summer - not a lot - however, still didn't matter. The ground just soaked it up like a sponge and was rock hard a day later.

Cannot wait until Fall my fellow metal heads. The cooler weather, the breeze, the fun holidays, baseball playoffs AND football season. Bring it on baby :headbang: :hello2:

slwilliamssr

Aug 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
Same thing here in Mass, and to think I moved up here from Florida to get away from the heat ???

OP
OP
N

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks swartzie. I'll take anything I can get here at this point :laughing7:

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot, 100 degree mark a few days in a row and dry here. But its still not as bad as it was this time last year for us. Havent had any rain in a couple of weeks, but we have already had more than we had all of last year.

Central Texas by Gawd

(wishin I was in West Texas)

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:

It's not just your imagination...
USA TODAY had an article last month that said that March April May and June have been the HOTTEST
Months ever recorded on the planet (Planet Wide tempature sensors) since record keeping started back in 1885.
But you all keep up the good work with your gas guzzlin Humvees...
I will just have to break out my marshmellos and hot dogs and have a sun baking weenie roast....

GUNNHILD

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2010
Yep, awful hot here in S.E. Okla., so hot my mule froze to death last week. Had him pastured next to a field of corn, got so hot the corn started popping and he thought it was snow.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
I don't know what's happening everywhere else, but we had heavy rain all morning. It was so cool I actually put on a light coat. When I came home it was 78 in the house... the thermostat was set on 81. Great hunting weather right now, but it's suppose to get up to 94 tomorrow. Grrrr!!! Hope everyone else gets a break soon!

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently heading for the third longest stretch of over 100 degree days here in Texas. You need a hammer and chisel to dig, and you are soaked in sweat in five minutes. I have given up for the time being. Would rather do some research on the PC for when the weather is more agreeable.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very dry here too. Had a quick shower yesterday, but other then that I dont remember the last time we had a good steady rain. Hoping maybe this sunday like the weatherman is talking. :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread