Need some help for hunting old parks

Electrocute

Jul 9, 2010
Texas
There are 2 old parks in the town next to me which are only 15mins away. Both parks (according to the cities website) were started in the 1800's. Now they only hold festivals there and other type of things. I was considering MDing these places but I have no idea where I should start. None of the original structure is still there. I was wondering if I should just start out by the trees. I know I will find tons of clad due to the diff festivals held there 2-3 times a year. Just looking for any information :).

Thanks

Upvote 0

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virtually anywhere would be a fine place to start. I myself normally "buzz around" a bit at first trying to locate a "hot spot". If I find it, I normally start honing in on that area pretty well. Then, I go outward from there on future hunts.

Keep this in mind...

A great many of the local parks have been hit HARD over the years. Doesn't mean there's nothing there, just, you have to be a bit more creative and work a bit harder to find the "stuff". In effect, you always have to consider the possibility that the park was hit before you got there. If it WASN'T, great, you'll have a doozy of a time. But, if it WAS (you'll be able to tell), gotta outsmart the park :laughing7:

Pick some spots that are tough to reach or overgrown or may even be on an incline and search these areas first. Why? We are all creatures of habit. We want the easiest, the most convenient. Most other detectorists probably run towards the baseball/football/soccer fields, bleachers, picnic areas, etc. Because they're easy. By hunting the LEAST obvious spots, your odds go up a bit.

Make no mistake, by all means DO hunt the whole park. However, I always tend to start with the out-of-the-way, tough-to-get-to, less obvious places first. And it almost always works. Try it :thumbsup:

OP
OP
E

Electrocute

Jul 9, 2010
Texas
Well there is a creek that runs through there. So I figured I might start along the creek, since it does tend to flood from time to time. Which in some sense could always create items along the creekline. Just a thought. I figured they (the park) would be hit hard. There is also a tot lot there so if not finding anything around there I can hit a tot lot for a few and always walk away with something. I have a small lightweight canoe and might attempt to get to the other side since the bridge has not been able to go across for quite some while.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since this is a place you will be frequenting, STUDY them! Take a camera. Take MANY pics. A scetch pad. Sketch the basic layout. Then go to a festeval or two. Onto the basic scetch, add the places where money goes out to consession stands. Add the paths that are beat down by the crowds. Note where the crowds are lying in the grass. Got it? STUDY! TTC

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If theres no existing structures than look for the largest or oldest looking trees and start there . Oaks and Palm trees planted in long rows may indicate the outline of an old road or pathway going to where structures etc once stood . Shaded areas , foundations , old rock walls , trails , slopes , walking bridges , streams and swiming holes . You never know what was lost there in the old days and many of the older parks had or have all these areas . Yes the fringes can be very good so it's up to you to investigate and just get a feel for the place . No park is ever cleaned out of all it's goodies ! Sometimes you just have to work and think a little harder than the other hunters who were there before you . Good luck out there !

HH
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread