need your input

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I can't recall exactly, but I seem to remember you are fairly new at this? Maybe 4 months or so? All detectorists have the learning curve to go through, spend some more time with yours and don't feel the need to blame the machine, many people "upgrade" a lot, only to find out that it's not the machines capabilities, but rather the operator's choice of (pick one):

Locations
Machine Settings
Sweep speed
Walking speed

My personal feeling is this-

ANY machine will find goodies, the more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better capabilities, and RESEARCH is the key to finding the good stuff. Put yourself in a spot that not many have hit before, and the goodies will come.

White's makes good machines. The Classic 2 is an older model, but that doesn't mean its not good, or that technology has come so far that a new machine will "find more". If you don't change things up every now and then, a new "deeper" machine only means you dig deeper holes to find more junk, LOL!

Hope this helps- the key is research

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Jeffro, we must first spend enough time on the machine we have and learn it to the best of our abilities before moving on to something more expensive that may or may not increase our finds.

The only MD I have have ever used is a Whites Classic ID. Do I think I could find more with a DFX, you bet!! But I will say, the more I go out with the old CID, the more I find. I have gone through my back yard three times with it and have found coins on each search. I keep trying settings that I did not use on previous occasions. I still have alot to learn. If i can afford to, I will purchase a higher end machine that will give more depth and offer more options as far as target ID is concerned.

"Learn what you use, use what you brung"

D

diggit 65

no need to upgrade just do some research on the places that you go .I had found some of my best finds with my lower end detectors just have fun with what ever you decide to do it's all about the fun of it .

diggit 65 8)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro is right. You don't necessarily need a new machine to find more stuff. Newer machines are not that far advanced till you get up near the top of the line detectors and then you have to learn how to use them and guys are always setting them wrong where they don't operate at peak efficiency most times anyway. The amount of time you spend and where is mostly what determines your finds. It'll help tremendously if you keep the coil even with the ground the complete swing and over lap at least by half.

Good Luck,

Sandman

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BK used a 12 YO machine other day to find a indian head penny so....

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Different answer.

Last year I sold my Explorer XS and bought an IDXPro. Lots of folks thought I was crazy for going BACKWARDS in hunting ability. My advice is to upgrade to an IDX or IDXPRo or possibly an MXT. The C II is good but upgrade and you will have a better machine. Practice with it and your finds should improve. Ebay has these for around $200 to $250.

grizzly bare

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread