watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using the Pro Pointer for a year now and I love it. It's rugged, compact, and
I've used it in the rain & snow without any problems.

As far as being "signal sensitive" along the barrel, yes it is, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.
You can also "de-tune" the sensitivity by turning it on while holding a coin close to it's tip.
When you turn it off and then on again, it reverts back to the default sensitivity.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As watercooler said it is sensitive along the sides. But I don't think it is as sensitive along the sides as it is on the tip.

The detuning he mentions is the key to determining where those tough targets are. I rarely use detuning but when you really need it it's there for you. Basically, it's usually the most useful on large objects that seem to sound off regardless of what direction you move the pinpointer. What you do is turn off the pinpointer but leave it in the hole. When you turn it on again it re-zero's itself (detuning) so that the last location you were holding it in is now considered the zero point (no signal). This makes it significantly less sensitive as a whole. As you resume moving the pinpointer around it only chirps where the signal is stronger than it was when you first turned it on. It's hard to describe but easy to use in practice. Again, you don't need it often. And needing it is usually a sign that you are digging a pop can or some other large piece of trash. But it is a great feature that many other pinpointers don't have.

I highly recommend the Garret Pro Pointer. It is an excellent piece of equipment and a great value for the money.

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info......with the pistol probe its hard to find the target(especially pennies) after they come from the hole as it gives off a surround sound in the general area of the target.......it could be just my unit thats malfunctioning..........I hear of these guys that just pop the coin out with a screwdriver. They are a better man than me......

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
m bryan said:
Thanks for the info......with the pistol probe its hard to find the target(especially pennies) after they come from the hole as it gives off a surround sound in the general area of the target.......it could be just my unit thats malfunctioning..........I hear of these guys that just pop the coin out with a screwdriver. They are a better man than me......

Well, they are better than me too! But I'm practicing.

Another important thing the Pro Pointer does is beep/vibrate faster as you get closer to the target. This helps a lot. When you get a steady beep then you are usually touching the object with the tip. I'm not sure if the pistol probe does this or not. But I can tell you that people who harp on cheaper pinpointers (like the Harbor Freight Centech one for $16) as being a better value than the Garrett are really missing out on these two important features.

If you put a pinpointer in a hole and it beeps everywhere you swing it, then it is worthless. With detuning and variable beep rate the Garrett really helps you truly "pinpoint" the object. Other pinpointers without these two features are not pinpointers at all. They are "metal detectors". And I already have one of those, thank you. :)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's the answer to your problem. The Harbor Freight centech at $16. IT HAS A REAL SIGNAL STRENGTH EXTERNAL ADJUSTMENT!

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Here's the answer to your problem. The Harbor Freight centech at $16. IT HAS A REAL SIGNAL STRENGTH EXTERNAL ADJUSTMENT!

::) Here we go again...

I have a Harbor Freight Centech "metal detector" that I bought for around $16. Even though it has a knob for adjusting the sensitivity, it does not having varying tone/vibration and it does not have detuning. It is also NOT a "pinpointer" per se. It is a "metal detector". It is sold as such and was not actually "designed" to help you "pinpoint" metal. It was designed to help you "detect" it. There is a huge difference. You are consistently trying to tell everyone that the Centech is better than the Garrett. Saying it over and over again doesn't make it so.

I have both. The Centech is a great unit for the money. But it can't compete with the Garrett on "pinpointing". My Centech never sees the light of day. My Garrett goes with me everywhere.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mts said:
Frankn said:

I have a Harbor Freight Centech "metal detector" that I bought for around $16. Even though it has a knob for adjusting the sensitivity, it does not having varying tone/vibration and it does not have detuning. It is also NOT a "pinpointer" per se. It is a "metal detector". It is sold as such and was not actually "designed" to help you "pinpoint" metal. It was designed to help you "detect" it. There is a huge difference. You are consistently trying to tell everyone that the Centech is better than the Garrett. Saying it over and over again doesn't make it so.

I have both. The Centech is a great unit for the money. But it can't compete with the Garrett on "pinpointing". My Centech never sees the light of day. My Garrett goes with me everywhere.

Ok... Not really wanting to start a mine is better "contest"... You know what I mean... But what is the point of the Garrett vs. Centech debate? Why "slam" it?

The obvious answer to anyone will be they are both metal detectors and both are pinpointers. Heck, a metal detector is a EXTRA large pinpointer... You wouldn't find metal without first using a metal detector to pinpoint it above the ground would you? The Garrett pinpointer is a far better unit than the Centech as far as construction and features, but for the $16 paid, the Centech does an great job. I have used both, and both will pinpoint fine. I find that by running the length of the Centech probe around the hole to locate the intended target, I can get an idea, then use the tip to more closely "pinpoint". To say the Centech isn't a pinpointer, is just wrong. It may just be not to your liking... :wink:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dwight S said:
mts said:
Frankn said:

Ok... Not really wanting to start a mine is better "contest"... You know what I mean... But what is the point of the Garrett vs. Centech debate? Why "slam" it?

The obvious answer to anyone will be they are both metal detectors and both are pinpointers. Heck, a metal detector is a EXTRA large pinpointer... You wouldn't find metal without first using a metal detector to pinpoint it above the ground would you? The Garrett pinpointer is a far better unit than the Centech as far as construction and features, but for the $16 paid, the Centech does an great job. I have used both, and both will pinpoint fine. I find that by running the length of the Centech probe around the hole to locate the intended target, I can get an idea, then use the tip to more closely "pinpoint". To say the Centech isn't a pinpointer, is just wrong. It may just be not to your liking... :wink:

I apologize. You have to understand that Frankln and I have a "history" in this debate. He has said that anyone who buys a Garrett "is an idiot who is only swayed by marketing". That's why I am so hard on him. The Centech is fine for $16. I've said so many times. It does a decent job for the money. I'm simply pointing out the advantages of spending a bit more for a true pinpointer. The Centech was made to detect metal in wood. It was not designed specifically to find objects in the ground. The Garrett was. As such there is a big difference in capabilities that of course, come at a price. Not all metal detectors are "pinpointers" or even do an adequate job of pinpointing. Of course, that probably depends on your definition of "pinpointing" so we probably shouldn't even get into that debate.

I wanted to point out that the OP is having the same problems with his pinpointer that the Centech suffers from. Therefore, buying a Centech is not really going to do him much good. Buying a Garrett will help alleviate some of those problems and I think he will be pleasantly surprised at the results. It's one thing to push your tool of choice. It's an entirely different matter to actually think about the complaint the other guy is having and offer suggestions that help address it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
OK lets just compair!
HF and G both do the job of pinpointing.
HF has an adjustment for signal power, G does not.
G has variable tone output HF does not.
HF cost $16, G cost $130.
Does everybody see the difference now?

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
I have been using the HF pinpointer that I borrowed from my dad. I have to say that because I borrowed it, it has been very difficult to resist smashing it to pieces because of how poorly it works. The pinpointer has to pretty much touch the metal object to tell me it is there, even with the sensitivity turned all the way up. I am definitely going to purchase a Garrett pro pointer at some point.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Dover turtle: Here the specs on the HF & G. They have both been air tested to pick up a dime at 1/2 ". Maybe you expect to much from a pinpointer! I would say the average range of both pinpointers is 1"
If yours is less than that, first , replace the batteries with some Duracell's. If that doesn't work, maybe you have a lemon. In that case ,trash it and get a new one. They only cost $16

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
OK lets just compair!
HF and G both do the job of pinpointing.
HF has an adjustment for signal power, G does not.
G has variable tone output HF does not.
HF cost $16, G cost $130.
Does everybody see the difference now?

Ok... let's compare. A hammer costs $25. A rock is free. Both can be used to pound in a nail. Does everyone see the difference now?

The mistake in your comparison was with "HF and G both do the job of pinpointing". The mistake is that they don't both do it EQUALY WELL. Do YOU see the difference now? Perhaps you should try USING the Garrett before you decide that your $16 pinpointer is as good as a pinpointer you've never used. I've used both. My HF sits in a box in my basement. If it broke I wouldn't buy another one. If my Garrett ever breaks or gets lost, I will spend no time at all before running out and getting a replacement.

A regular metal detector can do the job of pinpointing. So why do you need the HF model? Ahhh... your regular metal detector doesn't pinpoint as well as the HF does. I guess that's why you justify spending $16 instead of spending nothing and just sticking with your regular metal detector. Do YOU see the difference now?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Dover turtle: Here the specs on the HF & G. They have both been air tested to pick up a dime at 1/2 ". Maybe you expect to much from a pinpointer! I would say the average range of both pinpointers is 1"
If yours is less than that, first , replace the batteries with some Duracell's. If that doesn't work, maybe you have a lemon. In that case ,trash it and get a new one. They only cost $16

My Garrett air tests a dime at just a little over an inch. My HF air tests a dime at about 1/2" on the tip but 1" on the sides. Which goes to show that the device was made to scan wood from the sides. It also shows that the HF will NOT solve the OP's problem.

My HF also doesn't tell me when I'm getting closer to an object. In other words, it doesn't actually "pinpoint". It "detects" metal. When I get a beep from the HF I know that there is some sort of metal close by. Of course, it could be a soda can six inches away. In which case, when I move the HF around the beep doesn't change and I have no idea which direction the object actually is. Another way of saying the same thing is that I can't "pinpoint" its location very well. Funny huh? But with the Garrett the beep gets faster as I get closer to the target. It does this in order to help me "pinpoint" the location of the target. And it does that very well. The variable beep feature of the Garrett was designed with pinpointing in mind. Which just goes to show that the Garrett was specifically made for what we want to use it for.

I just got back from Ocean City, MD. I took my Garrett with me. It was a dream in the soft sand. After using my metal detector to roughly pinpoint the location of the target I would thrust my Garrett down into the sand and just swish it around. The variable beep would tell me when I was getting close. Usually, within about 5 seconds I would hear a constant beep which told me that I was actually TOUCHING the target with the tip. I knew EXACTLY where the target was 10" under the ground. I would slide my hand down into the sand beside it and cup the sand under the tip of the pinpointer. I would then simply raise my hand and lift the target and pinpointer (still beeping) right out of the ground. It couldn't have been easier. I had a sand scoop as well which was used for stuff on the top 4" or so. But the Garrett saved me a BUNCH of time retrieving deeper targets.

There is no way the HF model could have done the same thing. It doesn't tell you exactly where the target is. I would have had to dig it out. I also couldn't have just plunged it down into the sand because of the location of the switch and the fact that it isn't sturdy enough. Couple that with the fact that you can't use the HF holder because it presses the switch and there simply is no comparison.

I'm done with this topic because I don't care to feed the troll anymore. I've used both pinpointers and I can guarantee the OP that the Garrett will help him with his current problem. The HF unit will suffer from the same issue as well as add a few more that his current pinpointer probably doesn't have. The HF is fine for the money... and a rock is also a viable option to pound in a nail. I'd personally prefer to spend a little more money and get a tool specifically designed to make my job easier. Most good tools are like that.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Lets see, you get to within 1/2" and you need variable beep to find the target?
When I get to within 1/2" I just remove the target!

Sounds like you Had a rough time at O.C.. I don't even use a pinpointer on the beach! I just pinpoint with my detector and scoop it out with my long handle scoop. Just think, no need to bend over, Just a fast scoop!

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Lets see, you get to within 1/2" and you need variable beep to find the target?
When I get to within 1/2" I just remove the target!

Sounds like you Had a rough time at O.C.. I don't even use a pinpointer on the beach! I just pinpoint with my detector and scoop it out with my long handle scoop. Just think, no need to bend over, Just a fast scoop!
Wish I had a land scoop...my backs killing me this evening... ;D

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
A land scoop! Now that would be neat. The guy that invents that will make a fortune! Actually I saw a guy using one. It was one of these tulip bulb planters. He just stepped down on the little bent over piece and squeezed the handle and it lifted out the plug. It was the largest one I have ever seen, about 6" in diameter.

BACK TO YOUR ORGINAL PROBLEM,SIDE PROBE PICKUP
There is a pinpointer that only pickes up at the tip. It uses pulse induction technology to do this. It is probably the ultimate pinpointer, but you pay for it!
VIBRA PROBE 580----- COST $$149.95
See it at: WWW. treasure probe.com
It will do what you want, but it is more than $16
Good Luck , Frankn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread