Got a surprise cleaning my coins today!

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks to the advice of Chris and Diggin D, I went out and bought a rock tumbler last night. I was starting to get quite a collection of coins and wanted to reuse them. Put my first batch in last night and got them out this morning. They are nice and clean! As I was looking at them a little closer, I discovered a 1964 Eisenhower Silver Dime! Wahoo!! My first silver coin! Who'd a thunk it? :D.

I had also found a partial roll of quarters at a local park and couldn't make out the dates. I was curious as to how long they had been planted. I found them about 4 inches deep. When I got them cleaned...most of them read 1984. Wow, 20 years. That's so cool. ;D

Hope everyone has a prosperous day! HH!
Moon

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Eisenhower dime! Now that is the find of a lifetime! Can you tell what the country of origin is? Post a pic! I've got more than a few silver Rosies from '64 and my first silver dollar found was an Ike but wow, you found a crossover coin! I'm just funnin' ya, I know you meant a Rosie dime, I think...

OP
OP
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey Diggin D,

I went to Hobby Lobby and bought one. It's called Rolling Stone rock tumbler. I paid 30.00 for it. It's working pretty well so far.

Good Luck in your search for the nortorious silver coin!

Moon

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I look at my coins pretty closely before I clean them-- silver ones should stand out. They are usually a lot lighter in color, unless they are black from sulfur, but they are almost never the same color as clad coins.

OP
OP
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey Lab Rat,

That was the problem.....all the coins I've been recovering are almost black or at least dark brown. Been finding alot it a soccer field with alot of clay and turf over that. They are about two to three inches down. Can't even see the dates most of the time.

HH,

Moon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread