Which of these for coins, relics, backup?

aerograd

Jul 10, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have three entry level detectors: The Ace 250, Fisher F2, and a Tesoro Silver uMax.

My question to the experts is which of these machines is best for coinshooting in old parks, homesites, etc.? Which would be best for hunting CW type relics (I live in North AL so would be hunting around here but perhaps as far as TN, GA, and MS)? Which would you keep as a backup to your detector of choice?

I understand that a lot of it goes back to how well you know your detector(s). I've had my Ace 250 since May 2007, but I took a break from detecting due to some family issues so I probably have about a year experience with it. The other two I've only recently acquired (June/July 2010), so I'm still trying to learn them. I like the numeric target display of the F2, but I don't feel it's getting much depth. The Tesoro seems to go deeper, but since I started out with the Ace the learning curve of deciphering what's buried based on the nuances of the sounds alone is challenging... to me at least. Maybe I should just dig everything with the Tesoro for awhile to figure it out.

I have the 4.5" sniper coil and the 6.5"x9" stock coil for the Ace 250. I have the 4", 8" and 10" coils for the F2. I only have the 8" stock for the Silver uMax.

I also understand that there are some obvious upgrades to all of these machines. I'm on an upgrade path trying to narrow down my favorites. List includes the Omega, Tejon, DeLeon, Vaquero, E-Trac, Sovereign GT. E-Trac is likely out of my budget for the near term, but it depends on the deal and how much other stuff I have to sell to fund a purchase. Until then though, I'll be using these three detectors. I'll probably keep one or more of them as a backup even when I upgrade too. I'm leaning towards the Silver uMax as a backup unless I upgrade to another Tesoro. Thoughts?

Appreciate any suggestions you can provide. Thanks!

Donny

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep the Tesoro hands down. Set the discrim at a reasonable level, depending on what you are looking for, and dig when it beeps. If you trust the target ID on the others you are leaving good items in the ground.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
All are good backup machines, but I'd say the Tesoro. You mention wanting to hunt relics and the Ace and Fisher are more geared to coinshooting the parks. The digital displays are nice, but really not necessary. I'd say add a coil or two for the Silver and go nuts. I know they can be little depth monsters when set up properly. Not as flashy for sure, but a tough machine to beat! Just my thoughts. OK Ace guys..... your turn!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
umax is my backup. imho, there's none better in that price range.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Ace 250 wrap around a tree somewhere , run the Tesoro an use the fish as a back up :laughing7:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slowNsteady said:
All are good backup machines, but I'd say the Tesoro. You mention wanting to hunt relics and the Ace and Fisher are more geared to coinshooting the parks. The digital displays are nice, but really not necessary. I'd say add a coil or two for the Silver and go nuts. I know they can be little depth monsters when set up properly. Not as flashy for sure, but a tough machine to beat! Just my thoughts. OK Ace guys..... your turn!

Well i do have the Ace..and pretty much agree with you..Its cool that they have the digi display..but its really only helpful to me for coins..and not always 100 accurate on that..but i have figured how it jumps around what it usally means..I love the Ace..But i am ready for the next step..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread