True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Southern Gent. :) You have any experience with smaller coils? I'm trying to find out the pros and cons. What are you running on your Sov?

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 6" stock coil for the minelab (runs about $150-160) and works great! I found a ton of gold with it this month. I remeber it says "Tornado on it, Kellco sells it.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a 6" for trashy areas and I like it. The only con that I can find with it is that I have to overlap a bit and move a little slower. I seem to move slower in park areas anyway so I really don't notice much. HH! Chris

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, coinshooter mine is a Tornado coil too, but it's the 10" version. Great coil, but when it's trashy or the coins are close together it's a pain.

Southern Gent: Is yours sunray or Minelab? I work slower too and overlapping does not bother me (less missed targets) I just wonder about depth loss using a small coil. I'm sure there will be some, i just wonder how much?

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In trashy areas you can turn down your sensitivity and/or lift your coil up a few inches higher off the ground while detecting. When I hunt trashy areas I turn my sensitivity -way- down. You may miss deeper targets, but you can isolate the targets you want to dig. Later, go back over the area with the sensitivy increased a little more each time. I have found this to be useful with my minelab, but it will work with most other detectors as well.

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah LabRat i have tried the messing with sensitivity and run in auto ground balance mostly with the iron mask on. The trash i have pretty much learned to Disc out (except the larger aluminum shards which cant be done) and still get coins, but the cluttered together coins are a nightmare. My coil is a 10" and in this particular site there could be 3, 4, 5 or more coins within the 10" diameter of my coil on any given sweep. Thus, i cannot isolate one coin to dig and end up digging a frigging trench which i hate doing.?

Thanks for the tip :)

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Yeah, those clusters of coins can be troublesome-- do you have a coin probe? This might help.

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean a pinpointer like a bullseye or the metal rod gadget? In either case, no, i dont have one. I cant see the metal rod probes working here as the ground is so rock strewn. Many times i find coins under and along side rocks that i would never be able locate using a metal rod probe. Actually i would love to see a demonstration of one of the metal rod probes in action as i just cannot picture one working, but that is based on my limited experience in this hobby so far..

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
I guess I was referring to a pinpointer.? For digging in parks I limit myself to my detector, pinpointer, and screwdriver for digging (and treasure pouch).? Smaller digging tools leave fewer trenches, and the pinpointer locates the coin in the hole.? Where I get overlapping signals hard to pinpoint with the detector, I'll go over the ground first with the pinpointer-- often the coins are right at the surface.? If they're deeper I use the screwdriver to start a narrow hole I can probe with the pinpointer until I start finding targets.? Then I'll go back over the hole with the detector to see what's left.

It used to take me close to an hour to recover a single target, but the pinpointer has reduced it to a few minutes. I highly recommend getting one!

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to get a pinpointer soon along with the smaller coil. I want to be ready when we clean out that new clad infested swimming hole Bergie and i mentioned in one of the other forums. Thanks for the tip. 8)

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
COILTEK coils are very good! Check Doc's Place on the Net.
JOEY Coil 5 X 10 Sovereign or EX - reigns supreme!

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry I did'nt get back sooner True, my computer has been down. Any way smaller coils on the soverign loose very little depth. The coiltek that Ocean7 is talking about is a good coil, and the price for coiltek was better than sunray. I buy almost everything second hand so I can't help much on where to go. Good luck & HH! Chris

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the tips everyone :) Stopped over at Detecto-Pro near me in Pleasant Valley NY to see what they had. Think i'm going to order a Sunray 5.5 and buy a Minelab 7.7" i can get for a good price there. Between those two and the 10" tornado i have all ready, i think i will have the bases covered. Going to get a Pinpointer also, i just have not decided which one as i am picky about equipment. I will check out the coilteks before any purchases for sure.

Glad you got your PC back on Southern Gent, it's good to see ya back 8)

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True_Metal,
Try the "vibraprobe" - It's about $125, but I tell you, you will never use another type of pinpointer. It's fairly small and works great. Maybe that dealer has one in stock that you can try or you can go to www.vibraprobe.com.
I have one and I love it!! Only problem is the pouch you carry it in says "vibraprobe" on the front. Some people might run from you and others might try and give you a hug!

OP
OP
True_Metal

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! Well, i will just have to ditch the original pouch and carry it in mine when i get one. I checked, and Detecto-Pro doesnt carry the Vibras, but that is the one i want to get. I will probably stock up over the winter so i'm ready for the spring.8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread