Would be interesting

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to see.......different brands and models go over the same targets(still in the ground) at different depths. Which ones would detect the target with accuracy and which one wouldn't.........I realize some md's are higher end and you get what you pay for but was wondering if some of the lower end machines could compete in certain areas?

Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing this for years and the results are interesting. Sometimes a lower priced machine "in ground" proves to be the better choice even if its manufactured by the same company.

Then there's Polish and Bulgarian detectors that sell at a much lower price but equal or exceed the performance of the major players machines and often provide rechargables as standard and a longer warranty.

If everyone spent a few hours clearing out one corner of their garden and putting in a test bed (the best type having the same coin buried at ever increasing depths) then they would realise just how much they are being taken for a ride. Some will say its not accurate as the coins will not have been buried long but that will apply to every detector tested at that period. A few years soon passes and the test bed will become more and more useful. Even air tests have their place because you need a performance check to see if things are going wrong such as a coil starting to fail.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
m bryan said:
to see.......different brands and models go over the same targets(still in the ground) at different depths. Which ones would detect the target with accuracy and which one wouldn't.........I realize some md's are higher end and you get what you pay for but was wondering if some of the lower end machines could compete in certain areas?

I have wondered the same thing as well...I have noticed sometimes my ace will find new targets in the same place...for instance there is a small local park down the road..and i have beat it to all hell..pretty much cleaning it out within the last year..There is "Merry go Round?" that the kids spin and jump on..and i have went over it and over it for months just seeing if i can find anythign new..but the other day i pulled out 2 dimes that have been there long enough for all the silver to be gone and red in color..its just weird how these things work

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be interesting to find out.

But don't forget about ground mineralization. You'd have to run that test in several places around the country and I'd bet you'd get different results.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
UK Brian has this right. Make your own test bed and keep notes on different machines.

I've done this for years and it really does separate myth from reality. I never take a poster's word for it on depth. I like to read their thoughts, but only my own tests do I believe. Following are some common machines I've ground tested on the same 12" deep quarter in my Florida soil which is fluffy and without mineral problems. Denser soil does kill depth. Minerals are not anything I've ever had to deal with because I've not used a detector above Carol City near Miami.

All on a 12" clad quarter:

Fisher 1212X - no hit

Fisher F-75 - no hit

Whites MXT - chipped signal, will hit at 11"

Whites Classic III - no hit

Minelab Soverign - no hit

Minelab E-Trac - chipped signal I would not dig. (tuned this thing to death)

Tesoro Vaquero - not hit, will hit at 11"

Tesoro Deleon - no hit

Tesoro Cibola - strong hit. will detect a quarter to 13 inches and continue to chip at 13.5"

Ace 250 - please! this thing wouldn't detect an anvil if it fell on it.

Whites new Coinmaster - would require the same anvil to strike dead-center. pure junk

It is my finding that high cost is not an indication of depth and the Tesoro line is very, very underrated if depth is what you want for little money.

OT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread