Whats a good detector for Florida beaches?

bucketheadben

Aug 22, 2010
Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Upvote 0

leefields

Feb 25, 2008
Lake Hamilton Florida 33851
Detector(s) used
Excall 2 w/Anderson shaft ...
Minelab CTX 3030 ...
Minelab GT
Re: What's a good detector for Florida beaches?

would likely be several that you could choose from ....most obvious would be a minelab excall...in your price range you could likely pickup one of the older fisher units....

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

In that price range, your hunting is going to be limited to dry sand, and wet sand too but you will have to turn the sensitivity down and lose a lot of depth in the process.

The Ace 250 or the Tesoro Silver uMax would be a good choice. I own the uMax and like it a lot.

I doubt you could buy a decent PI unit for that price ($250), even used. So I would start on the beach and once you have accumulated enough finds to purchase a better machine, you can move up to a water detector.

For a decent PI machine, you can buy used for about $400 and up, the price new will be $600 and up.

For a multi frequency machine like the Excal, start used at $600 and new at about $1300.

This should give you an idea of what you're looking at cost wise.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't forget to look at the fine land detectors that can be hip mounted. Something like a Fisher 1235 or newer 1236-X2 or even better a CZ-6a. Basicly you want a long coil cable for hip mounting. Hip mounting makes the unit lots lighter and easy to cover with a baggie for the salt spray.

I doubt you can find the Minelab Sov GT for near $600 used even.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

On the beach is a different kind of detecting. Forget discrimination and ID go for raw power. On the beach you want to move fast, scoop everything and keep moving. You want a PI unit because it goes deep and doesn't care about water, salt and minerals in the sand. I use a Whites Surfmaster PI that is 10 years old and can still keep up with the best. I have pulled boat anchors from 2' down in the sand. I'm sure there are many other brands that can do that too. You might have to add a little to your $250 to pick up a good used unit. Check out the T-Net classified section.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread