Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, never tried it. I'm generaly Misanthropic (other detectorists excluded ;D) and i try to get detect isolated spots where people wont bother me. Good luck and be prepared to hear "Hey!! What ya doin in my yard!!??" As i'm sure it will happen.

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Misanthropic - I like that although I've never heard the term before. Is that like detecting while remaining undetected. 8) I have thought about detecting between sidewalk and street but as True_Metal said you'll be spending a lot of you're time trying to explain that that section of earth is city right of way and you aren't doing anything unlawful the whole time while they are dialing the police or reaching for their shotgun. I have talked to a detectorist who has but it is more headache than I care to persue. Nonetheless, if you do keep us all posted on your finds. HH.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it means a person that dislikes humans in general. About 80% of society in my case. I'm a nice guy but people tend to get on my nerves unless we have some of the same interests. Hence, the "Detectorists excluded" quip :)

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Hey True_ I think I can identify with that. I don't so much dislike other humans but I do require my own space and usually a lot of it. What better way to get that space than to find a nice secluded area of a park, beach, etc. and swing to my hearts content (or my arm falls off...whichever comes first) Is this a great hobby or what?! HH.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, this and Trout fishing (my other true passion) As for Misanthropy, i try to like general society but the deeper i get involved with it the more i'm disgusted by it. Thus making me despise it all the more. I have my click of peeps and we share many of the same interests so at least i wont end up a grizzeled old hermit holed up in a shack somewhere LOL! ;D

OP
OP
S

salvatorparadise

Mar 31, 2003
bexley, oh
You guys are probably right. We have some treelawns here that run along properties with giant mansions set back sometimes several hundred feet. The treelawns are usually bordered by a wall or giant hedge, so in this case, or in some cases here, i don't think i'd be bothered. Instead though today I think i'm just going to drive out of the city and just knock on some doors. Nothing like having permission at an old home. that's my favorite way to go!

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'm so lovin this topic! We have "parkways" here in the town I live in. They were specifically designed to beautify the areas where the historic homes sit. Each one is a small park by itself. There's over fifty of them and they have been here since the early 1930's. It's only a matter of time before I find something worth writing about.

LOL about the arms falling off NEdigger! :D I can so relate! And how about that TH tan! Puts a whole new meaning to being a redneck!

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Moon

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The misanthropic view seems to be universal among detectorists! Simply put: The more people are involved with anything, the more complicated everything becomes! (Just look at how the Government operates!)

As for the sidewalk strips, yes, those can be excellent areas. And there are enough of them that if a homeowner disagrees that its city property, you can just move down a little ways. I used to spend a lot of time hunting the planter strips around parking lots. Found a lot of clad and a few keys but not much else so I don't do it so much any more. But you never know-- people have reported losing diamond rings in parking lots!

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lab rat said:
The misanthropic view seems to be universal among detectorists!? Simply put:? The more people are involved with anything, the more complicated everything becomes!? (Just look at how the Government operates!

Excellent! It's nice to know i'm not alone! ;D

D

Dragon

BE CAREFUL!!! YOU MAY BE TRESSPASSING!!!

In Florida, the property owner "owns" the swale and "leases" the utility or easement "rights" to the city upon purchase of the property. The "city" (i.e. corporation) does not own the easement. :P

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find parking strips with meters planted in them with either lawn or dirt, these can be great places for coins. Also, anywhere there are parking strips in the old parts of a town, you can sometimes find some real nice turn of the century coins. I found some nice old cigar band rings this way. Also a very unique gold ring in a parking strip that went up to a small apt complex in an old part of town.

Pitch

Jul 27, 2003
I own from the edge of the road to the back of my property. The town and utility has an EASEMENT thirty feet from the center of the road,but I own and pay taxes on it. May be different in a village or city, but in my area as far as I know the whole state it is as I stated.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Parkways are piggy banks. The mere thought that in front of the house that's been there since let's say 1870 is a strip of grass that has been dug only once or twice for water or utilities... Hmmm.... If one of the home dwellers has dropped a coin once a year for the last 130+ years, an occasional ring, buckle or other relic. Just contemplate it. I always hit them very hard when the sidewalk or curb work allows. Often the parkway will get a facelift, shaved a few inches then re-sodded. While it's shaved you can make some great recoveries. On one street here in town in a 7 block stretch a few years back I got hundreds of wheats, IH's and pocketfuls of barber silver. Jewelry and tokens also came out of there. Most are not as rich as that site but all have something for you if they're more than a few years old.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dragon said:
BE CAREFUL!!! YOU MAY BE TRESSPASSING!!!

In Florida, the property owner "owns" the swale and "leases" the utility or easement "rights" to the city upon purchase of the property. The "city" (i.e. corporation) does not own the easement. :P
I found this out the hard way,got in a shouting match with some disgruntled homeowner.Can't say I blame him though,I don't like anyone messing around the front of my house.At the risk of sounding like some old curmudgeon,I am in So.FL.around here you better watch your property or someone else will.Sad but true!I guess I am "misanthropic"myself,with the exception of you guys/and gals on here!!! :)

el_detecto

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2004
Yep, I've done those strips in various places.? I make it a practice to not hunt them when the yard is well cared for.? But when that area looks neglected by the homeowner, I will try them.? No confrontations yet.? I have had fair success in those strips.? Some silver and older wheats, too.? Nothing really outstanding.? I look at how the curbs are made.? The older ones are cut granite or some such and I believe they have a better chance of producing older coins (unless the street has been widened since their original installation).? I haven't hunted the strips for some time now since I have turned mostly to construction sites, woods, and farm fields.? But, I certainly wouldn't hesitate doing it again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread