Two more introduced to metal detecting

S

sounder

I got to take my two granddaughters on their first detecting trip today. One is 12 and the other is 10. What a ball!! They found lots of junk, and 7 newer coins. They didn't care if the coins were new or not, they were excited. Each one had a detector, and went their own way. Me with one, and my buddy with the other. We only had about 1 1/2 hours to detect, but I would say that they did pretty good on their first time out. It took us about 5 minutes to drive home, and they ask TWICE if I would take them again. I'm glad that they liked it, because I'm pretty sure that there are a lot worse things out there that they could be interested in. ;D? sounder

Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job! Nice to see kids interested in constructive, wholesome pastimes for a change. Something which is not too common nowadays.

S

stefan

Hey sounder- Nice to see you here also- I think I responded to this one on the BH forum- but that is a class thing to do- I love taking my daughter out with me. She gets to use my QD2 as soon as my land ranger comes in (ordered it today). She can't wait!

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
:)Sounder,You found something far better then you will ever dig from the ground,And so have they.

OP
OP
S

sounder

Thanks people!!! I felt pretty good about this trip before, but after reading your messages, I feel even better. ;D sounder

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Awesome! Enjoy it while you can. A few more years and they may think they are too "cool" to be seen metal detecting. I try and get my daughters into it, but their attention span and patience just isn't long enough to get into it yet. My Garrett TA 300 is bigger than my smallest daughter, even at it's lowest setting, so she has a tough time even moving the thing.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
They'll have a blast and it's more than the dig, it's the company you're keeping!

Hey Sounder, back to Illinois digging' rules: Me and Mike from McHenry were out today for a short bit at the McHenry Dam State Park and were gearing up when an Illinois State Conservation Police Officer drove up. She asked us if we were fishing and we said, nope, MD'ing. She asked if we would wait while she checked to see if it was alright and if we had done it before at that site. I told her I had hunted the site before and we were told the State Park system in Illinois was site specific to whether or not MD'ing was allowed. She acknowledged this was the rule. I asked her if the state had a hard and fast list of permissable sites and she said no, it was at the discretion of site rangers at any unmarked sites or those not having archaeological significance.

I know I had posted this info before but always get a review when the opportunity arises so wanted to relay the latest info I had available and being only several hours old, it's good.

OP
OP
S

sounder

Lowbatts---Thanks. I guess we have to track down the local park ranger or constable each time we go to a different park to find out what the rule of the day is. Thanks for the info. I'll keep this in mind. sounder

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
:) Sounder give the girls a current copy of the W&T Magazine if not already,they will love the salute to women MD'S Best to you all and HH

OP
OP
S

sounder

Jarman, they have it in their hands as we speak. sounder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread