WHISPERS

dandan

Feb 24, 2006
I've been swingin' an IDX PRO for 'bout 6 yrs. now and I've dug some nice stuff, (both old and new). My question is this; does the IDX Pro "whisper"? Are the chirps that I hear to be considered this or is that the 'tector trying to Disc. the yuck out? Ive never dug an old coin that I wasn't convinced was there and I wonder if I'm missing things. Thanks for any help!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old Whites 6000-D series 2 Whispered.

I would say All detectors will.

all it takes is an object to be Just at the very end of the signal.

It won't necessarily be Broken. Or a Real Narrow Cherp,
But Sometimes they are Good also.

It, at least for me, is a real Sweet almost Not there Sound,
Which makes me wonder, Is it an Erratic Glitch (the Ground) ? Or an Object
Causing The change.

You Won't hear Whispers in Trashy Areas.

And you Won't hear them without Headphones.

You Need to Know your Detector VERY WELL

It took me Several years before I heard My First Whisper.
It was With my Whites. I was Down at least 8 to 10 Inches &
Started Thinking it was in my Mind. (no Probes back then)
But I kept digging & eventually at 10 to 12 inches (a Guess)
too long ago, However I pulled out an 1812 Large Cent.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
im glad someone brought this up. i have heard so many people say to listen for those "faint, deep" targets, but on both of my garrett machines, all targets sound the same volume wise, no matter what the depth. the only way to turn the "belltone" off is to go hunt in true all metal mode which is impractical to do in trashy places. it seems like in the discrim modes, the signal needs to cross a preset threshhold in order to trigger the belltone, eliminating the ability to hear "faint targets". has anyone else noticed this? and if so, is there a way to detect deep faint targets with a machine such as an ace 250 or a gti 2500?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
im glad someone brought this up. i have heard so many people say to listen for those "faint, deep" targets, but on both of my garrett machines, all targets sound the same volume wise, no matter what the depth. the only way to turn the "belltone" off is to go hunt in true all metal mode which is impractical to do in trashy places. it seems like in the discrim modes, the signal needs to cross a preset threshhold in order to trigger the belltone, eliminating the ability to hear "faint targets". has anyone else noticed this? and if so, is there a way to detect deep faint targets with a machine such as an ace 250 or a gti 2500?

Although I have never used a Garrett,
(Yes I have a Master Hunter, I bought on EBay, But Never Used it in the Field)
I would "think" if the Signal was Just on that Maximum Fringe,
It would give a Softer Signal.
Just a Guess though.

sometime when your in your Most Hunted out site,
Work Real slow & Listen Intently For Ghost Sounds.
You MAY be Surprised.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an IDX Pro and yes it will give faint but false signals. If you cannot repeat the signal by going over the area again it is most likely false. I can,t say 100% but this is because I don't dig if I cannot get a signal again. If it is bothersome, slowing down my sweep, decreasing the sensitivity, and not hitting the coil all help. The IDX Pro has a fairly fast recovery so you can swing at a good pace. I always try to keep the the discrimination as low as possible so I get as many good signals as possible.

Ed Donovan

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Ed,

this is true "If you cannot repeat the signal by going over the area again it is most likely false"

But I have to say this.

I Wish I lived Near you.

I'd Love to Follow Behind, at a Slower Pace,
and Dig those Passed up Signals. ;)

Although swinging fast does cause False Good Readings,
It also Causes False Bad Readings.

OP
OP
dandan

dandan

Feb 24, 2006
Thanks guys ! It's been plaguing me! Think I'll check some ole' spots again.

OP
OP
dandan

dandan

Feb 24, 2006
False good, False bad readings????? Whats the difference?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dandan said:
False good, False bad readings????? Whats the difference?

FALSE GOOD : a signal that sounds like a Coin, until you go back over the spot.

False Bad. : a signal that breaks up or Nulls out like it's Iron. and IF you slow down & re-Check, turns out to be a Good Signal.

I'v been Guilty of Passing these up Myself, when I get Tired.

The Reason I believe what I'm saying, is Because, If I hit the same spot next time I'm Fresh & working Slow, things Change.

and Most likely why no area is Completly Searched Out,
and why almost anyone, even someone with a Wallmart Detector,
can Find things an Explorer User Misses.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dandan said:
Good stuff!! Gotta learn from the PROS! Dan

I'm still Learning also :)

That's part of the Fun ;)

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, I don,t know it is me or the detector. But when I first started using the IDX Pro I dug all signals and the faint one-time signals did not yield and object ever. This may be because they were small and a pinpointer will not pick them up or I just could not locate their proper location in the first place. I do a good job of searching the suspected signal but get no repeat. I believe that if you get a signal once and not ever again the signal is false. If you don,t get it again you probaby cannot pinpoint a spot to dig any way. On my new Quattro if I start get noises and don,t get repeat targets when I stop and recheck the spots it is a sign I am swing the coil to fast and need to slow down. This occurs often on the stop and return point across my body when the detector may be being jerked. As with the IDX Pro I started digging all signal to learn the machine and did not have any luck at all with faint non repeatable signals. Until I can find a better way to check signals that do nt repaet at all I won,t dig them. I really doubt if there is any thing there. Occasionally I ask another club member to check a lost signal and they usually don't get one either (Minelabs, Fishers,Whites). The point is how can you dig a signal that you cannot pin point with your detector and only have a general idea of its location. I have dug these signals before and have never recovered a thing. These are faint signals that don,t repeat at all, and I usually don't stare at the coil when detecting.

Ed Donovan

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ecdonovan said:
The point is how can you dig a signal that you cannot pin point with your detector and only have a general idea of its location. I have dug these signals before and have never recovered a thing. These are faint signals that don,t repeat at all, and I usually don't stare at the coil when detecting.

Ed Donovan

NO, Your Correct in your Assumption Ed.
I'm sure you try from Several angles also.

I have dug signals that have Completly Disappeared,
and on a Rare Occasion or 2 have gotten the signal back.
However, I think they turned out to be rusted tin .
been awhile since I wasted my time on those.

My Initial comment was More, me saying, if your Swinging fast,
Even with the Whites, Your not Only going to get "Blips" that sound good, But "Blips & Nulls" that sound bad, that actually Arn't.

But , I do it too. usually about the time I'm getting Tired.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also wonder at times, IF the Faster Speed Picks up a Good
Target as Good for a Second, Then when you Change Speed to Pinpoint You Loose it ;)

Of course All metal brings most back & some as Whispers.

BUT

Maby there is no Clear Cut advice on speed.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I have not tried changing modes when encountering a lost signal. I will definitely try it next time. I believe that the pinpointing mode on the IDX Pro is all metal, not sure about the Quattro. Still a lot of times I don,t even go into the pinpointing mode and I really should try. I am all for anything that will find me more finds!

Ed Donovan

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate the Pinpoint mode on the Explorer, I personally found
it Useless. I wish they
had a Switch to "All Metal" mode, instead.

Like on the sovereign.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff is so right about comming back and finding things in areas that you thought were done! ...More water in the ground or different angle when you pass, going slower than before...Mars near Jupiter...who knows
Also with me sometimes them double bleeps that I think may be trash may also be a long hairpin or pipe, So I have to just about dig everything to be sure....

R

rvbvetter

In my case it seems that some days I have it and some days I don't when it comes to those faint signals being good or junk. But somedays I step over the edge and whether the signals repeatable or not I go for it, thinking that their so deep that one of these signals has got to be a good target. And end up going home frustrated to no end. But then occasionaly it will payoff.
Some months ago I went back to a site I had hunted so frequently that all that seemed was left was those extremely faint whispers that sound like a mineral change rather than actual targets. But intent on finding out, I went back and came home frustrated thinking what a waste of time that was.
Still irritated, but mainly stubborn, I went back a couple days later. Worked the exact same spot and got 3 mercs in succession. I have no proof but I know I went over the exact same spots. I could see the tell tale signs of my last visit.
What was the difference? You got me. HH
Also I might add that because of fill dirt being added many years back that all coins were relatively deep from there. But after aways down what little targets were left all came up junk except this one time.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave N Japan said:
Also with me sometimes them double bleeps that I think may be trash may also be a long hairpin or pipe, So I have to just about dig everything to be sure....

Speaking of Double Bleeps. I never had it happen with rings till
The other week. Both Rings I found Gave Double beeps when I checked
the spots in All Metal. one was a Junk ring the other Silver.

Most times Double bleeps are nails.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread