Anyone ever detect at highway rest areas?

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I am just curious, does/has anyone ever tried to hunt rest areas on the highway? Maybe one near town, or while on a trip somewhere you pulled out the coil while the misses was walking the dog or something, heh. I am thinking there are probably things to find, but the trash would be far above average, perhaps overwhelming... plus you'd have to deal with all the previous misses's dog walk, er.. gifts. I am sure someone has asked this before, but I couldn't find it, so I'm going to toss this one out there. Anyone tried this, and if so, any luck?
-EpsilonMinus

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
DaveP, before waltzing off and trying to ask someone in the highest offices somewhere, if you can "get permission" to metal detect these, have you first seen if there is any prohibition against it? I mean, because, if it's not specifically prohibited, why would you think you need to go ask some deskbound bureaucrat? I think that's sort of like driving, and approaching an intersection that has no sign prohibiting U-turns, and wondering "gee, I wonder if I can make a U-turn here? I better go ask the traffic division people". On the contrary, if I see no sign forbidding U-turns, then I assume it's not forbidden.

You say yourself that low-level secretaries often hand an arbitrary "no" (even if no such rule exists), so why would you think that some state-capitol big shot is going to be any different? If anything, you're going to get even MORE no's, the further up the ladder you go (when quite frankly, they probably could care less, and are merely "addressing your pressing question"). And to say you're going to get it from the in WRITING, is the FASTEST way to get a no. That would seem only further imply that your activity is somehow dangerous, or inherently evil, that you had to get some sort of contract or written agreement, etc... And with that implication in mind, you're certainly going to dictate your own answer even more.

I think you just need to go at off-hours, when supervisors with binoculars aren't being busy-bodies. And you say two workers approached you, at his behest? Heck, what did you do, go at the highest visibility work-day they had going on there? Why not go on days when that rest stop is not being maintained (and hence, no busy bodies to make some stretched assumptions). And if you were still, even at low-traffic hours, questioned, well by golly, you're still looking for that ring. And if it's at another stop up the road, and they make note that you gave that same answer the week before, well by golly, your friend was drunk when she lost it, and can't remember which stop she lost it at, right?

But seriously now, if you start going up the chain of command seeking sanctions, and getting "no's" where perhaps no one cared before, and then fighting those "no's", you may just end up getting rules written, where none existed before, "to address your pressing issue". Please reconsider your plans.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay out of the main stream of traffic, stay out of the landscaping, and hunt the areas away from main building and you should be ok. That's what I use to do, sort of the "out of site, out of mind" approach. I never encountered any problems.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
In Texas, they closed most of the '30s & '40s rest-stops. An archaeologist wrote an article about them (his private hunting grounds now, I guess). I think they are sealed off areas &/or overgrown, or bulldozed.

There was a posting on a forum a few years ago showing an exchange of letters between a detectorist & the state archaeologist. The "archie" was bragging that there was not only 1 law, but up to 5 separate laws protecting thousands of locations in Texas from detectorists.

Most rest stops by Interstate Highways, or US highways, are Federal Property. Or, along a state highway, state property. Of course the Interstate highway system started just a few years before they stopped making silver coins, & most Interstate rest-stops are likely post-1975.

Most cities, most school districts & many counties you can probably detect without permission if you are not doing damage & a sign does not say no detecting. I like going to parks while other people are there. If some official or non-official wants to bother someone, they'll have more than one choice. People see me putting trash where it belongs, too.

Mostly penalties for detecting where not allowed are Feds, multi-thousand dollar fines or prison; state property, several hundred dollar fines; city, county or school district property, threat of fine but probably asked to leave. Govt websites can provide some clues on what's allowed.

Heard no detecting in a nearby cities parks, so I call park dept & they say no digging or disturbing soil. So I call police & ask if I could be fined if I detected their city parks. Was told "maybe if you left a hole that could cause injury". So, in effect, permission granted! HH, George (MN)

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
Very interesting topic. most of all the rest areas in California are closed anyway. :dontknow:

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Wear orange vest and a yello hard hat, no one will ? you

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the early 60's before I-95 was built all the way to Miami, many people traveled down US-27 to get here. I know of 2 old rest areas that have been closed for many years and have found several older coins at both. If I lived a little closer, I would hunt them more often.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Oklahoma where I abide, you have to take a toll road to get to just about anywhere. They call rest stops "Picnic Areas". They are nothing more than a place to pull off the main highway and walk around a but to get the feeling back in your legs. They are notorious for not having any restroom facilities. I saw a bumper sticker that read, "Oklahoma, where you pee behind a tree"! I can just see a family loading up in the old station wagon to go on a pic nic on the turnpike! :dontknow: And then they post signs on the shoulders that say, "Damaged Guardrail Ahead". Like, who cares! How many drivers do you know that panic if there is damage to guardrails? Oh, the question was how about hunting rest areas wasn't it. You might find something interesting if you can wade through all the dog poop in the grassy areas. Good luck with that. Monty

DoubleUgly

Feb 11, 2010
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
I'd be more worried about finding the body of a "missing person" that was dumped by a serial killer, than being questioned by DOT.

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
handy said:
just put up police tape and do your thing :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Great idea! LMAO

Attachments

• lolligans.gif
    lolligans.gif
    121.8 KB · Views: 488
  • lolligans.gif
    lolligans.gif
    121.8 KB · Views: 488

traverdog

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Henderson, Nv
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Beach Surfer
I'd suggest going on the very old highways and try to spot some old rest stops. I haven't done that yet but want to when I have more time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread