Need some Info on metal detecters.

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Im looking to buy a entry levle metal detecter and came across two so far that I like one is a whites Coinmaster and the other is a garrett ace 250 and I may go the ace 250 pro. I have no idea what I should be looking for on them since the last time I used a metal detecter was when I was a very young kid out with my grandfather in the 1980s. I remember having alot of fun even though we didn;t realy find alot. we would just walk his land checking on the livestock and just use the metal detecter becasue back in the day some outlaws would hid out in the woods and canyons around there and supposidly hid some loot somewhere out there. we had fun even though we never found any of the loot. What should I look for in a metal detecter? I do know I want it to tell me the depth and kind of metal and so on but not sure what else to look for since im a beginner. What should I look for on buying a detecter?

Upvote 0

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Teknetics delta 4000 that seems to be doing a good job for an entry level machine. Easy to use and performs well.........I like it better than my entry level Garrett.....but you will get many opinions.......

OP
OP
T

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
well After a few days of searching around about metal detecters I pulled the trigger on my first one. I bought the Garrett Ace 250 from kellyco It came with a Automax V4 Pinpointer for 25 extra and choice of 1 of 2 free Accessories packages. I chose option 2 with basicly the only thing diffren't was the a daypack and the type of headphones and I think a cd of treasure hunting state by state which I figured would be something usefull didn;t need the day pack even though it looked cool. I Would have waited a day or two longer but I talked to a guy that dose or dide some small time hunting around our area who had a ace 250 and he showed me his. I figured for the price I got it at and to be techy about it I basicly got it free since I stoped at a casion and hit almost the exzact cost of it including shiping I figured what the heck. Now I guess I need to start planning some hunting trips while I wait.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 250 gets a lot of praise. Sounds like a good decision. The main thing is to get the coil over a target. :icon_thumleft:

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Need some Info on metal detectors.

Truffleshuffle said:
Im looking to buy a entry levle metal detecter and came across two so far that I like one is a whites Coinmaster and the other is a garrett ace 250 and I may go the ace 250 pro. I have no idea what I should be looking for on them since the last time I used a metal detecter was when I was a very young kid out with my grandfather in the 1980s. I remember having alot of fun even though we didn;t realy find alot. we would just walk his land checking on the livestock and just use the metal detecter becasue back in the day some outlaws would hid out in the woods and canyons around there and supposidly hid some loot somewhere out there. we had fun even though we never found any of the loot. What should I look for in a metal detecter? I do know I want it to tell me the depth and kind of metal and so on but not sure what else to look for since im a beginner. What should I look for on buying a detecter?
I suggest you look at Unclevinny's " Phase shift clip" and you might like what he has to say about choosing a new detector. Dave P.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What should you look for in a detector?

Lets start with a few basics.

For example, how much money do you want to spend? If you're like most people new to the hobby, you want to start inexpensively (less than $300) and then go up from there if you decide you like it. But others like to dive right in and get a more expensive machine despite the learning curve. That's one you'll have to decide.

Next: where do you plan to hunt? Must people hunt on land (parks, schools, etc.), but others have the beach in mind. If you're going to the beach, most land detectors will do ok in the dry sand, but not so good (make that "lousy") in wet sand and while most coils are waterproof, you cannot get the control box wet (it isn't waterproof) so you'd best stay out of the water (rogue waves could swamp you and your detector). So if you want the beach, you ought to think about a different detector made for the beach and those are typically more expensive ($650+).

Ok, next question: what kind of detectorist are you? Are you the kind that likes to look at a screen that tells what you've likely hit (screens are accurate about 50-60% of the time) and how deep it is (depth meter accuracy is about the same), or are you the type that prefers to go off of tones only (no screen). It should be noted that you will get the tones as well on a screen machine, and some detectorists don't even pay attention to the screen because of the inherent inaccuracies. It's all up to you.

So, assuming you want to go inexpensively, I will save you some time looking through the posts and tell you this:

If you want a screen, most folks will suggest you get the Garrett Ace 250.

If you want a tone-only machine, most will suggest the Tesoro Silver uMax.

They are priced pretty evenly.

If you want a beach machine, you'll need to shop around. Again, you'll either be directed towards a multi-frequency machine (Minelab Excalibur II, $1200), or a pulse induction detector (which offers no discrimination: if it beeps, you dig) which will start around $650 new.

You can always buy used, but be careful doing that, of course. :icon_thumleft:

Good luck and happy hunting!

Kaimi

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2007
las vegas,nv
Detector(s) used
whites gmt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aloha everyone,

Just thought I would chime in on this subject. No matter what unit you purchase, you need to spend some time researching each one and its capabilities. then after you decide to finally buy one, you need to go out and practice,practice,practice. In other words you need to go out and swing that coil and "train your ears" so when you do get the coil over a target your ears tell you "HEY STOP AND DIG". To many times I have run across someone who will walk up to me while I am swing my coil somewhere just to get some exercise between serious hunts and they ask me if I have ever found anything of value because they bought a MD a while back and didnt have any luck so they stuck it away in their closet or garage. You would be surprised the kind of deals I have "found" just by spending a couple of minutes talking to these strangers. But then again it is amazing how many people I have gotten to actually meet up with me a week or two later just so I could show them what they are missing in this hobby. You get to meet some great people and get some great exercise to bbot. Oh yeah, if you find something of value that is fun too.

Aloha and go out and have some fun.

Stan aka Ka'imi

OP
OP
T

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for all the helpfull information I will try and put it to good use.

OP
OP
T

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Smudge said:
What should you look for in a detector?

Lets start with a few basics.

For example, how much money do you want to spend? If you're like most people new to the hobby, you want to start inexpensively (less than $300) and then go up from there if you decide you like it. But others like to dive right in and get a more expensive machine despite the learning curve. That's one you'll have to decide.

Next: where do you plan to hunt? Must people hunt on land (parks, schools, etc.), but others have the beach in mind. If you're going to the beach, most land detectors will do ok in the dry sand, but not so good (make that "lousy") in wet sand and while most coils are waterproof, you cannot get the control box wet (it isn't waterproof) so you'd best stay out of the water (rogue waves could swamp you and your detector). So if you want the beach, you ought to think about a different detector made for the beach and those are typically more expensive ($650+).

Ok, next question: what kind of detectorist are you? Are you the kind that likes to look at a screen that tells what you've likely hit (screens are accurate about 50-60% of the time) and how deep it is (depth meter accuracy is about the same), or are you the type that prefers to go off of tones only (no screen). It should be noted that you will get the tones as well on a screen machine, and some detectorists don't even pay attention to the screen because of the inherent inaccuracies. It's all up to you.

So, assuming you want to go inexpensively, I will save you some time looking through the posts and tell you this:

If you want a screen, most folks will suggest you get the Garrett Ace 250.

If you want a tone-only machine, most will suggest the Tesoro Silver uMax.

They are priced pretty evenly.

If you want a beach machine, you'll need to shop around. Again, you'll either be directed towards a multi-frequency machine (Minelab Excalibur II, $1200), or a pulse induction detector (which offers no discrimination: if it beeps, you dig) which will start around $650 new.

You can always buy used, but be careful doing that, of course. :icon_thumleft:

Good luck and happy hunting!
Thanks smudge! I went with the Ace 250 I did do a lot of researching on it. Hopfully I did the right researching lol. It seemed to be the best fit for the price I could afford. I almost paid the exact price I had in budget and got a pin-pointer with it. I think I went over budget 2 bucks including shipping for the free accessories package it came with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread