The County Hanging Tree

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been told that at the top of the hill in the picture below before the barn was built was the County Hanging Tree. I have also been told that the owner of the property found 2 Civil War US Belt plates in this pasture just laying on top of the ground.

My question is.... has anyone else ever detected the area where hangings used to take place and if so what kinds of finds can I expect? Did a lot of people attend public hangings?

I am driving up to this location after work today (about an hours drive) to see if I can get permission. In the past I have found 2 US Civil War Belt plates and a Carbine Sling Buckle about a half mile from this location so I know this town saw Civil War Activity.

Check out my Website to see the items I have found here in the past. http://www.mymdforum.com

Don

Attachments

• 9-21-2010 7-53-23 AM.jpg
    9-21-2010 7-53-23 AM.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 420
Upvote 0

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
There were 2 public hangings in the early 1900's in the county where I live. These hangings were at the local court house and what I have been told, these were well attended by the local people. This would probably be the case where any hanging was in the past. Dig the area, you may find something.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be a bad place to hang out.... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread