Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To Mark S., It's About Time!

I would like to publicly thank Tnet member Mark S. for his article on page 26 of the October issue of Western and Eastern Treasures Magazine.

This was an uncomfortable article to read, but it was an Important article to be read--and an even more important one to be written. There are a few of us here that have been suggesting that this is a problem for some time now--and I am glad to see this issue raised in print, if for no other reason than the fact that published materials seem to carry more weight than online media postings do, and they require forethought, planning, and revision.

Thank you for having the resolve to write a piece like this.

And for those of you on the forum who have not read it, I'd suggest that you do so at your earliest convenience.

It might be about you!

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: To Mark S., It's About Time!

Buckleboy... I read that ........And i have been saying the same thing for years................ But not many take heed................. I think it is there EGO that makes them put so much info & pictures up on the net..............

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Could you elaborate on the actual topic of the article so others will know what you are refering to ?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TORRERO said:
Could you elaborate on the actual topic of the article so others will know what you are refering to ?

The internet and Negative repercussions for our hobby.

A false sense of anonymity when posting information on forums.

The posting of media that promotes bad practices (shovels in parks, giving locations in posts/videos, bragging about illegal recoveries, trespassing), and the effects that such posts have on our hobby.

etc. etc.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

May just have to go buy the issue. Is it the current one?

I agree. I did a search online for a site a few days ago. One of the top hits from Google was a Tnet article. There is no anonimity.

Al

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

deepskyal said:

I agree. I did a search online for a site a few days ago. One of the top hits from Google was a Tnet article. There is no anonimity.

Al
Western & Eastern , October , 2010 ... page's 26 ,27 ,& 28

Attachments

• 201010_cover.jpg
    201010_cover.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 235

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

BuckleBoy said:
TORRERO said:

The internet and Negative repercussions for our hobby.

A false sense of anonymity when posting information on forums.

The posting of media that promotes bad practices (shovels in parks, giving locations in posts/videos, bragging about illegal recoveries, trespassing), and the effects that such posts have on our hobby.

etc. etc.

I've just been reading one such post :-\

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deepskyal said:

Al

Yes, it is the current issue. The article title is "Internet--Boom or Bust?"

There is also a good bit about Trespassing and its effects on the hobby.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep.....I can see things continuing to go very badly for our hobby. Doubt the momentum can be changed.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005

Thanks for the comments and thanks to Buckleboy for posting this.

It was not an easy subject to go after. I initially started writing it after reading a thread about trespassing. It expanded from there to other areas. Unfortunately there were many examples there for the taking and it became easier to write as I went on.

Two main points to the whole article are to use your head when posting anything on the internet. Anyone can and will see it. The second that should not even have to be said is to obey the law and respect others property.

I have seen threads on this very forum that have fallen into my ramblings. Some have gone unanswered and even condoned by a few. Others have received their just due and been called out.

Now I am not saying that you should not be proud of your finds and efforts. I enjoy seeing and hearing about others finds. Just use some care when posting.

Mark S.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're absolutely right, Mark. I think that one of the central issues that I took away from your writing is the "perceived anonymity" on the behalf of posters which in reality, simply isn't there. An avatar on a detecting forum really isn't anything for one to hide behind--and especially when it comes to the hobby that we all care about. When we speak for One, publicly, we represent ALL. I think that this idea that we are anonymous in our internet postings in general--anywhere--is part of the reason that the discourse on the world wide web often gets so uncivil, rude, and downright mean. If you read comments to articles, polls, and postings of media like YouTube and others, the disease is widespread--and not just limited to treasure hunting content. In short, accountability and sensitivity are lacking to a large extent because the basic (flawed!) assumption is that we are unidentifiable avatars without real names and addresses.

Your article is a wake-up call for this type of flawed thinking.

Well done.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Unfortunately, the ones who break the rules will never read the article Mark wrote.
It was well done and I appreciate his efforts to get the ethical message across. Here at the 4-h camp I educate 6-9 year olds ethical detecting. It's where you have to start, where they are young. A message humans need to understand respecting ones property. Even the sand pit a good portion of you know about. Kids are told that even thought it's sand, the holes need to be covered. As far as the "1 foot" plugs go, I have seen guys try to retrieve an object starting with a small plug leading to the 1 foot monster Marks described in his article, totally destroying the Mayors front yard. I agree that some people should be banned from operating a video camera as well. Some of the videos I have seen filmed are a disgrace and blacken the other already blackened eye. There will always be detectorist's in the hobby for profit vs. Education or Historic relevance. Laws will indeed get tougher, sites will inevitably be closed, but there will always be places for responsible, reputable individuals to detect at. Always. So if there are any of you out there reading these threads guilty of the above, heed the warning. It's for real, you'll be banned

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mark that was an excellent article and as was said, many that need to read it won't think it applies to them.

Thanks BuckleBoy for bringing it to everyones attention. All of us should subscribe to Western & Eastern Treasures.

http://www.treasurenet.com/westeast/

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sandman said:
Mark that was an excellent article and as was said, many that need to read it won't think it applies to them.

Thanks BuckleBoy for bringing it to everyones attention. All of us should subscribe to Western & Eastern Treasures.

I doubt that.

Most of them never took the time to review the ethical laws. They simply aren't aware of it. They saw mom and dad as kids throw the McDonalds bags out the windows thinking "if my parents do it, it must be ok". We have a guy in this county leaving the huge holes in public areas. I have worked very hard to keep areas open around here by telling the locals who buy machines from me to make sure to leave no trace.
I received a call from the Chief oh police asking to help locate the guy leaving the mess. I have a hunch, it's a kid who just isn't aware. That's where our education with the detector program comes in. It' really not a metal detecting lesson, but awareness to respect others....In life

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005

Great comments and oh so right on target. I am taking a wild stab here but my personal feeling is that most of those doing the damage do not buy from a local dealer. They buy mailorder or from a department store. That has always bugged me in that these newbie receives no instruction in proper recovery or etique.

The children comment is also right on. I have often thought about that child who gets a department store unit for his birthday and runs to the local park with a shovel to dig up pirates loot! I cannot really blame the child as they know no different and probably have no realization that they are doing damage. They are being kids. They just need proper instruction. I think it is great what you are doing 4-H. This will also help to keep the hobby alive. I was a 4-Her myself. I went to camp each year and then worked as a counselor until high school graduation. Then went off to a different camp - bootcamp!

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005

Sandman said:

I Just did! I used to be able to find this publication as well as Lost Treasure at a handful of book stores. It now seems that none of them carry either one anymore. Figures.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Regardless why we each metal detect, it goes without saying that the image of our hobby isn't getting any better, just as the article suggest. But I think another huge factor that everyone overlooks is that our hobby is also a hobby that has become aggressively divided. Personally, I don't care why someone else metal detects as long as it's done within a reasonable scope of the local laws and rules and they show respect for those around them and they don't leave huge eye sores behind. If you want to metal detect for profit, fine. If you want to metal detect to preserve history, fine. To each his own. But these open aggressive debates within our hobby are killing us, so much so that I'm certain they have caused the creating of many rules, laws, and restrictions we all face today, and on into the future. United we stand, divided we fall. Always been that way, always will be. And at present, our hobby is hopelessly divided.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is always a bummer to see holes left and trash on top of the ground and no tresspassing means just that . I would be through the roof if I looked out the window and saw someone digging in my yard with out asking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread