Newbie Mistake....

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
I was eager to share the joys of metal detecting with my realatives. I hosted our annual family reunion and set up a treasure hunt. I scattered several silver coins and lots of foreign coins (they were cheaper and still interesting) all around my front lawn, provided several detectors, gave a quick demo and sent them off. The one thing I failed to do was make sure my yard was free of junk metal still in the ground. Some of them kept asking where the hidden camera was while they dug around thru the grass looking for something that was actually in the dirt. I was surprised at how much was missed...but oh well, I guess that just gives me the opportunity to practice myself. They did have a good time and many are now interested, although, I was disappointed to hear that one of the teens used her Liberty Half Dollar at the mall that night.I guess one man's treasure is just 50 cents to someone else.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Happy Hunting

Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. They enjoyed themselves and that was what you wanted in the first place, so mission accomplished. 8)

It's a shame on that half dollar. Your going to have to have a talk with that girl! :D

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Both our girls have detected with me for years (much more than their mom) and know all my finds are their's to plunder but have learned to appreciate the value of even the most worn wheatie in both a numismatic and historical context (i.e. what happened that year, etc..)

But a LOT of their friends, especially in the teenage years would think nothing of throwing a half eagle in the tollbooth bucket. Never mind the color or weight, it's just not the real money, PLASTIC w/magnetic strip. I've heard from carnies that found quarter and half eagles in those dozers or other coin toss games before, not too mention silver from grandpa or grandma's old jug, no doubt.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Something fun for the kids on a social picnic is to take a bucketful of sawdust, throw some nickels and dimes in there and pour it on the grass for them to hunt through with their fingers. We just use common clad for that, not silver, for the kids 10 and under. Gets them going!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread