need advice on new detectors.........

I

ifish2liv

Hello,
I'm getting back into the hobby after several years. I have owned a couple older Whites and two Garretts. I want to purchase a newer model of detector but the market seems to be flooded with alot of brands. I would use the detector for coins and rings mostly. I search beaches (freshwater), parks and around older homes. I really don't know what has changed in technology for the past 10 years. I did try a friends Garrettt Treasure Ace 200 and was very disappointed. No depth,lousy disc. and the pinpoint feature was useless. I would even try a late model used detector off of ebay. I want depth, good disc., and ease of use. If anyone could offer any info it would be appreciated.
Thank you vey much.

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the Forum! 8)

I've been into this hobby for nearly 40 years now and the best machine I've ever found for yards, parks, and relic hunting 19th century lumber camps is the Tesoro DeLeon.

Since the snow left northern Michigan 5 weeks ago, with the DeLeon I've already found 3 times more old coins (back to 1865) and rings than I did all last year using another major brand I paid $1000 for.

Tesoros have very distinct smooth sounds and it's very easy to tell deep silver/copper coins, etc., from surface clad and trash. The DeLeon TID meter with the sound is unbeatable.

Just my suggestion.

Badger

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Michigan Badger on the Tesoros. Technology has advanced alot lately and the Tesoros are using it in light weight detectors with lifetime warranty's if you ever need it.

The Minelab X-Terra 50 and 70 are also very good. Their higher cost detectors are good too, just require more thinking than most people want to do.

Be careful when buying detectors on ebay! You never really know if it's been dropped or what since you can't look the seller in the eye. Ask yourself, if this machine is so good, why aren't they saving it for a backup or for a family member?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread