100+ year old church, foundation, well, civil war graves SITE IM HUNTING!

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
I am still LEARING my ACE250 and what setting I should be using. I have found nothing but JUNK! I"m interested in ANY artifact especially coins. I have access to detect the PERFECT place. The church has been shut down for over 50 years, with a civil war era graveyard in the back. NEVER been hunted, on private property with no roads leading up to it, but its right beside the railroad tracks. (My dad is a train engineer so he spotted it as well as SEVERAL other places). We've got permission to hunt this property from the owner. The owner is man in his 60's who also showed me a foundation of a VERY old house in the woods with a well, outhouse locations, etc. There is also a bottle dump behind it with VERY old bottles still laying there. Even found one that says HALFWAY and the writing is backwards! If I want to discriminate against IRON should I just ignore signals that come up within the first 2 slots....what should I do in hunting this place?! I"m going back tomorrow and want to know everything I can so I can come back with some pics to post up!!!

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry you have to pretty much dig everything. The Ace is a good deal for the money but your pushing it's abilities at these very old trashy sites.

WARNING: Take someone with you for safety sake. These old sites can be dangerous (hidden wells, etc.).

Also, you don't have to continuously work a small area that has lots of large iron junk. I'd move around the foundations and work a pattern. Check by large old tress and near/in any depressions in the ground.

Your detector has limitations and you'll want to come back to this places in the future when you move up to a deep target separating machine.

Also, this time of year, watch out for rattlers ;)

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Grog,

I always dig everything. you never know what it is until after you get it home. Sounds like this place will keep you busy for while. Good luck. Post some finds when you get them. Go with a friend. This cannot be stressed enough. As far as as the 250, I hear it is a good machine, but could not advise on the settings. Hope it helps,

RON (PA)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread