A question about hunting the perimeter of an old cemetary

Skillets

Mar 6, 2007
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow hunters...I would like some input as to whether it is appropriate or not to hunt the outer area of an old cemetery I've recently stumbled upon. It's in a town that was settled by colonists in 1653. Here is a picture of the area I'm talking about.

DSC_3460.jpg

That's my car to the left, and the cemetery begins a little up from that where the stone wall is. It's very old, and has people who died anywhere from 1820 to 1945 buried within. This strip outlying the area would seem like the perfect spot to hunt, and wouldn't take very long. But I wanted to get some input from you awesome people before I go ahead and do it. Of course, I would NEVER go in there and dig, I am only talking about this outer strip of grass. Thanks in advance for the input.

Upvote 0

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll get yays and nays but if you stay out of the actual burial area you should be ok.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
as long as you are sure nobody is buried in that strip I don't see it as a problem, although some people will think you're violating the peace of those buried

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I were going to do that I would make sure
I stayed on the outside of the cemetery wall,
did it at times when I am not too apt to be spotted and
certainly make no 'noise' about it.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't imagine there would be any problem hunting outside the wall of the cemetary.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As long as you're not walking around with a shovel you should be fine.

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
like the others above said,stay outside the graveyard,keep away if there are people around and use a small hand digger.BTW keep your digger in your pouch in case someone does see you they will not see no digging implements.I would not hesitate to dig around there but use discretion.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also say if you ae only hunting the part that is outside of the grave yard go for it. This is where they pak their cars and they loose thing when they bring out their keys. Go for it and good luck....Matt

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have no problem hunting that strip......... have fun go to it.

Attachments

• zhaodpnet_02.gif
    zhaodpnet_02.gif
    182.5 KB · Views: 425
  • zhaodpnet_02.gif
    zhaodpnet_02.gif
    182.5 KB · Views: 433

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My forefathers and foremothers are buried in an old private cemetary not far away. I went up there once and was hunting the perimeter. An older gent in a big Lincoln Towncar pulled up and I half expected to be run off. He asked if I was finding anything. I told him I had visited a few relative's graves for nostalgia but had been hunting outside the cemetary since I was here. He said I was apt to find some Indian head pennies as he had hunted around the edges of the cemetary many times. We had a nice conversation about metal detecting and then he drove off. So, outside should be Ok I'd think. Monty

OP
OP
S

Skillets

Mar 6, 2007
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the input everyone...I did go yesterday afternoon and found a couple of old bullet shells, but nothing else. It was a quick, sloppy hunt because it was verrrrry windy and cold, and I didn't want to keep my companion out in those conditions. So I'll probably go back one day this week...I'll post anything good I may find there.

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have often wondered about this same question...I think its okay if you stay on the parkway....what I want to know is: Has anyone here ever MD'd a cemetary parkway and found anything? This is what I would be most interested in.....SushiDog

Ray_Reed

Aug 27, 2009
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Yeah I would like to detect around the edge of the place but people passing by are going to report you legal or not and you are going to get your butt crawled by everyone from cops to old folks lol, the only diggin they like there is when someone is planted! not a good idea but it's your butt :laughing7:.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
I personaly would get written permission from the caretaker of the cemetary and let him know of your intentions. that is what i would do but you are not me. :coffee2:rob Written permission in case barney fife has to get his two cents in or a nosey neighbor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread