newbie needs help...

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hello,
? I'm new round here and am seeking some advice. What would be a good starter metal detector that is moderately priced? a list of needed equipment to get started? would be great. any info or suggestions will be greatly appriciated.
all in all....where do i start??
thanks
scavenger

Upvote 0

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey Scavenger...Welcome to the TH Forum! Best advice in the world here. Just read through some old posts and you'll be fast on your way!!
I learned alot just by doing some research here. These folks are very helpful and will answer your questions quickly!

I'm fairly new here also. I have a Radio Shack 3000. Not sure on the cost because it was a gift. I don't have alot of money to spend on my hobby, so I use simple equipment. My tools of choice....a stainless steel letter opener and a sturdy butter knife. They haven't failed me yet. ;D And the RS 3000 may not be top of the line....but I have unearthed quite a bit of loot!
I would start slow...maybe in your own yard. Then maybe a couple of ball parks....anywhere people have been! Check with your local authorities to see if it's okay to search some areas. You don't want to start on a bad note with the law! Cover your divots and throw all of your scrap metal away properly. That's what gives us a good reputation. Most of all.....have fun and be safe!

Welcome to the most addicting hobby I've ever had!
Happy Hunting!
Moon

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
moonshadow,
thanks for the warm welcome. I dont have alotof loot tospendon the hobby either but wanna have fun doin it :). how about those little deals at walmart for $75? are they any count? I will mostly be detecting on my own and friends property. I have done some hunting but never had a detector. I used to rent a place up in the country and found and old hoe head right in my back yard(litteraly) from i think was the civil war era. was really neat looking but gave it away. well time to hit the hay here. talk more later
scavenger

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Seems you have a pretty good idea of how much you can afford to spend and where you will be using it as well as what you will be looking for. With that out of the way I would suggest going to Kellyco's website at http://www.kellycodetectors.com/indexmain.htm to get an idea of what is available from the different makes and models that fall within your budget and what features appeal to you. You don't have to buy from them but this should give you a good idea of what is out there (or just confuse you more) but research is the key. Just like with vehicles you will discover that everyone has their own preferences as to what machines they like or dislike and over time you too will develop your own favorite(s). Walmart carries Bounty Hunter detectors. If I'm not mistaken (and I trust someone will correct me if I'm wrong) but I think that is who manufactures the Radio Shack units also. Be forewarned though, it's not just a hobby...it's an addiction! Good luck and Happy Hunting.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wont get into brand names but buy the best you can afford if your serious about detecting. If you think you will tire of this hobby quickly then get a low priced machine that way your not out too much $$$ when it hits the closet. Eventually you will want to upgrade to one of the bad dog machines when you outgrow the other if or when you really get seriously addicted, but worry about that when the time comes. As was said above, do research, for only you know what you want to find, so pick a machine that suits your needs. As for other stuff like tools, there is a considerable variety, just depends on what you want to find and dig up. I carry a gator digging trowel and two towels to put dirt on and keep things neat and not leave dirt everywhere if i'm digging on a lawn. I plan to get more as there's lots of other goodies and gadgets like electronic pinpointers, coin probes, pouches, blah blah blah that you can get along the way. A detector and trowel will get you going for now, but be neat and put the dirt on something so you can dump it back in the hole. Also, get some Headphones! Have fun and save some Silver for us 8)

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks guys,
i'll check out that site and poke around here some more. I'dlike to get semi serious about it. i have entered may other addicting hobbies that i'm still addicted to soi'm usedto it :) thanks guys for the welcome

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions