what would you suggest as a beginner metal detector?

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
I am still using my first detector so I don't have a lot of experience with other makes and models but it is my opinion that most detectors work on the same principle of creating an electromagnetic field to detect metallic objects. You have a price range and have obviously been looking at different machines and it seems this one caught your eye. I say if that one appeals to you then that is the one you should buy. Over time you will get a feel for detecting and will probably want to upgrade at which time you will be back to the point of deciding what machine is best for your money. I splurged on my first machine. I bought a Garrett GTI2500 and I'm not sure it is any better or worse than another comparably priced unit. It works though and I have made some nice finds with it so I can't complain. I guess what I'm saying is you will find that everyone has an opinion about the different detectors that are available but ultimately the only opinion that matters is yours. I'm sure if this is the machine you choose it will serve its purpose and you will be posting your finds on here in no time. Looking forward to your posts and HH.

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nedigger,
thanks i'm kinda low on cash right now so its gonna be a while before i can get one maybe not till after x-mas maybe not till next x-mas who knows LOL. but i will eventually get one. i kinda like this detector, i dont know why it just kinda caught my eye. the price is reasonable and comes with a couple accesories. well we'll just have to see when i get some spendin change :)

B

BIG BAD JOHN

Scavenger: If you want a decent beginner machine that is something a bit better than an absolute bare bones machine you may want to check out the RadioShack 2200. It sells for $199.00 plus tax. Recently, First Texas Products (parent corporation to Bounty Hunter) began making the Titan metal detectors for Kellyco. These are operationally identical to the units that First Texas makes for RadioShack and differ only cosmetically. Here's the comparison:

RadioShack Discovery 1100 = Titan 1000XD
RadioShack Discovery 2200 = Titan 2000XD
RadioShack Discovery 3300 = Titan 3000XD

The main difference is the warranty. The RadioShack rigs only come with a 90-day warranty, while the Titan rigs sold by Kellyco have a 5-year warranty. As you have probably noticed, the Titans cost more for the same features. In short, you can purchase the Discovery 2200 which has more features for the same price as the Titan 1000XD, or you can purchase the Discovery 1100 for less money than the Titan 1000XD.

You may also want to check out the Pioneer 202 at WalMart for $198.00 plus tax. It's a twin to the Bounty Hunter QuickDraw II, a good little rig. Also, check out the Pioneer 505 at WalMart. It's essentially a Bounty Hunter SharpShooter II with an added depth readout. It comes with a 4" coil (great for those trashy sites) as well as the standard 8" coil, digging kit, and video. Also it has no-motion all-metal mode...great for pinpointing. It sells for $278.00 plus tax, but if you use the layaway plan, you may be able to get this nice rig on a tight budget. I use the Bounty Hunter products. Don't believe the negative hype you read on the various forums. They work well and at a great price.

Finally, check out the new Garrett Ace 150 and 250. Great little machines for $250 and under, and don't forget the new Prism line (3 models) from Whites Electronics. The only other other rig I can think of in the $200 price range is the Tesoro Compadre...no meter but simple to use with a great discriminator. Hope this helps. BBJ

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BBJ,
I was eyeballing those detetors at wallmart as they are inexpensive yet serve thier purpose. I'm really wanting a detector bad, as ive read alot of the messages on this forum and just get more excited as i go. I'll check out the radioshack detectors too. i mainly want something under or around 200 bucks that will serve as a good detector. and find me some goodies if i take it to the right spot:). thanks for your help
scavenger

B

BIG BAD JOHN

Scavenger: The Pioneer 202 is a good unit, especially for $200. You may want to check out Tom's Treasures at http://www.tomstreasures.com and go to the Detector Reviews. Many of the units I talked about are listed there and the reviews are by actual users of the machines...no hype, just the truth on the unit and it's performance. Also, if you're interested in how the P202 (twin to the QuickDraw II) works, check us out at the bulletin board (forum) at http://www.detecting.com over on the Bounty Hunter site. Those guys are very friendly and are willing to share advice no matter what brand you swing. Hope you get your MD soon and get started! Good Luck! BBJ

serb535

Sep 10, 2004
cleveland ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm III
my first detector was a radio shack discovery, i bought it back in 96-97, i just traded it in towards a whites prizm 3, the rs served me well and i have stuck to this hobby still enjoy it. i love it cuz its one of the few hobbies that can pay and cost nothing other than start up cost, i tried golf but after $200 on clubs it still cost 30-40 to play....MD'ing all youi need is time, i bought the inexspensive unit and found i liked the hobbie so now i've upgraded to what I thought was a better machine..all the units mentioned work great if your diggin then its working...just my 2 cents...

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Scavenger,

? ? ? ? I would suggest the Compadre by Tesoro. It is lightweight, runs on one battery, and has one knob simplicity. When I bought my Compadre, I got the detector, headphones, and a sand scoop for $185.00.. Check out the website:..www.Tesoro.com..

? ? ? ? I'm sure all of the other manufacturer's have comparable machines. I have heard excellent remarks about all of them. I just have experience with Tesoro. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Ron(PA).

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
many thnaks to all of you guys. I greatlyappricate all the help. only one of the few freindly forums i have found :)

F

fatdad

Me and my family bought a tesoro silver at the Onalaska gold show a few weeks ago. Never used one, never had one in our hands. It works great, everything the doug claimed and more. No real directions to use it just the basic info and we were finding. We have been out three times and found a bunch of clads, costume jewlery and a million tabs. My son liked it some much he order one for himself. Again very easy to use and works great!!!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your hooked!That's great,welcome to the hobby and the forum.Look forward to hearing from you in the future.GOOD LUCK and H.H.
fatdad said:
Me and my family bought a tesoro silver at the Onalaska gold show a few weeks ago. Never used one, never had one in our hands. It works great, everything the doug claimed and more. No real directions to use it just the basic info and we were finding. We have been out three times and found a bunch of clads, costume jewlery and a million tabs. My son liked it some much he order one for himself. Again very easy to use and works great!!!!

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Right now, in working condition, I have a Garrett XL 500 sea hunter, Whites Eagle II sl, Fisher 1280x, Minelab Muskateer Advantage, and the love of my detecting life, Minelab Soverign XS 2a Pro.
I want to get a Tessoro some time next year because of their great coustomer service. The thing is, I would have used an old Whites 6000 coinmaster if I had to. I just love md'ing. No matter if you use a $20 detector or a $3000 detector, just use a detector! HH! Chris

C

Chuck

scavenger said:
what metal detector would you suggest for a beginner. i'd lke to keep the price at $200 or less. what doyo thik about this one?
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/titan/titan1000xd.htm

thanks for all your help
scavenger
I suggest that for $200.00 you buy used. You can get a Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax in that general price range-an excellent 32 ounce hard hunter!
Or a White's classic III. Or other top quality detectors used here on this board.
If you had more to spend, i'd suggest a sponsor dealer, but there's not much that will keep your interest, if you buy new at $200.00
The Bounty Hunter 202 is about the cheapest half way decent detector available new and they are $298.00
I have a Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax for $220.00 shipped to the 48 U.S. states.It also has an added feature-volume control. See photo

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
For features, I would check out the new Garrett 150 and 250. They sound to be excellent machines and have a lot better depth and a lot more features than the older Treasure Ace series.

For service, Tesoro can't be beat. Life time warranty on a new detector and their customer service is top notch. Tesoro can't be beat in the customer satisfaction category.

B

BIG BAD JOHN

Chuck: A slight correction...the Bounty Hunter manufactured Pioneer 202 sold at WalMart retails for $198.00 plus tax, not $298.00. BBJ

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Other
Scavenger, I have the Whites Prizm IV and it has good performance. The Prizm II has the same performance but not all the extras and is about $200 dollars. You might go to the Whites site and check it out. HH Terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions