Talk me down from the ledge!!!

dlrwaitnonadime

Oct 22, 2010
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty new to the Hobby only having had my Ace 250 for about two months. I have been out pretty frequently and I am Really enjoying it. I have found a fair amount of clad, one silver Mercury dime and some pretty cool relics. I have been reading the finds forum on here almost daily and it is about to make my head explode. I just want to find one Indian Head penny and every time I look at the finds forum sombody is finding multiple IH's, Barbers, Standing Liberty's and on and on. I know I probably just need to be patient and continue to increase my locations for hunting but I just really want to find the old stuff and I just keep finding the new. Our ground is dryer than a popcorn fart right now and I have been praying for rain as I have read that may help the ground conditions and I know it would make digging much better. Anyways just ranting. I know I am hooked so hopefully the good stuff will not always elude me. Thanks for reading and if you have any words of wisdom, speak up!!!!

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bazinga said:
TerryC said:
bazinga said:
Sniffer said:
I've found 3 IH's, 9 rings, a rosary, and assorted other things over the years, but you can't find the good stuff without digging everything that makes a repeatable signal

Digging everything that makes a repeatable signal? Are you serious? No wonder you have found so little over the years. With an e-trac, it shouldn't be out of line to dig 50+ indian heads a year. Some people just make detecting more difficult than it needs to be. People that have the experience of a new user shouldn't be giving other new users advice.
Lighten up on Sniffer a little, Bazinga. With thousands of posts, he doesn't look like a newbe. I've been posting here when Metal Detecting was the ONLY forum here. And I have only 800 or so posts. I'm not trying to sound like I've done it all but posting on this Tnet is to share thoughts and ideas. Everybody has something to say.... or not at all.... but that is how we learn alot. (I'll get off my soapbox now) Tnx. TTC

For somebody to tell others how to detect, they should at least have the finds to back it up. This guy doesn't have the finds. His totals from YEARS of hunting are what myself and many others on the site find in a single day.
You got me, Bazinga. My best ring day was four. But that was before they put a pound of titanium in my back to hold it together. On a GOOD day I can get 3 or 4 hours in before it gives out. Just the same, I still have a passion for the hunt but not the ability. Maybe Sniffer has reasons he can't get out that often. TTC

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
TerryC said:
bazinga said:
Sniffer said:
I've found 3 IH's, 9 rings, a rosary, and assorted other things over the years, but you can't find the good stuff without digging everything that makes a repeatable signal

Digging everything that makes a repeatable signal? Are you serious? No wonder you have found so little over the years. With an e-trac, it shouldn't be out of line to dig 50+ indian heads a year. Some people just make detecting more difficult than it needs to be. People that have the experience of a new user shouldn't be giving other new users advice.
You dont know what he has found over the years. He didn't mention his silvers etc. ....."assorted other things" would be interesting to see those.....
Lighten up on Sniffer a little, Bazinga. With thousands of posts, he doesn't look like a newbe. I've been posting here when Metal Detecting was the ONLY forum here. And I have only 800 or so posts. I'm not trying to sound like I've done it all but posting on this Tnet is to share thoughts and ideas. Everybody has something to say.... or not at all.... but that is how we learn alot. (I'll get off my soapbox now) Tnx. TTC

For somebody to tell others how to detect, they should at least have the finds to back it up. This guy doesn't have the finds. His totals from YEARS of hunting are what myself and many others on the site find in a single day.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
well Bazinga, the 1700.00 gold ring I dug up, rang up as a piece of foil, so by your reckoning, you wouldn't have dug it up.
just to let you know, I don't post everything I dig up, but if your such a great treasure hunter, where are all your finds.
before you start dogging somebody you should think about how it makes you look
and since you find all this stuff and more in a SINGLE day, put it up so we can all see it

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Dealer, I thought I'd chime in with my two cents. There's some great input on this thread so far, and I'm sure more will follow.

The best advice I can give you is simply to enjoy what you're doing and keep at it. Sometimes finding the good stuff is a result of hunting in the right place, and the folks who work hard on their research usually wind up in the right place more consistently than those that just get a hankering to go hunting and head out. I don't think anyone will disagree that just about any machine (and certainly the Ace 250....which was my first machine and which I will NEVER get rid of) will find a silver quarter in clean ground at a few inches deep. But if you're in a heavily hunted spot, the odds of that coin still being there is remote.

This is why folks will suggest that you dig every signal. If that silver quarter is masked by trash, it will either give you a trashy signal or no signal at all. If you dig enough trash signals, you will eventually be pleasantly surprised with a find that doesn't match the signal it gave you.

It is also true that a better machine can help. I purchased a Minelab EXII after a couple years hunting with the Ace 250. The minelab allowed me to re-visit a lot of the spots I had hit previously (which were also heavily hunted by others) and pick out a lot of silver coins that I had missed in the past. My better machine simply gave me more information on the "iffy" signals, and made some of them seem worth digging.

But here's the kicker. When I got my better machine, I didn't go out and bring home multiple IH's, Walking Lib's and other spectacular finds. I worked really hard for each good coin. And I have many more days that I find mediocre finds than good ones.

Hope this helps!

MP

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mountainplayer said:
Dealer, I thought I'd chime in with my two cents. There's some great input on this thread so far, and I'm sure more will follow.

The best advice I can give you is simply to enjoy what you're doing and keep at it. Sometimes finding the good stuff is a result of hunting in the right place, and the folks who work hard on their research usually wind up in the right place more consistently than those that just get a hankering to go hunting and head out. I don't think anyone will disagree that just about any machine (and certainly the Ace 250....which was my first machine and which I will NEVER get rid of) will find a silver quarter in clean ground at a few inches deep. But if you're in a heavily hunted spot, the odds of that coin still being there is remote.

This is why folks will suggest that you dig every signal. If that silver quarter is masked by trash, it will either give you a trashy signal or no signal at all. If you dig enough trash signals, you will eventually be pleasantly surprised with a find that doesn't match the signal it gave you.

It is also true that a better machine can help. I purchased a Minelab EXII after a couple years hunting with the Ace 250. The minelab allowed me to re-visit a lot of the spots I had hit previously (which were also heavily hunted by others) and pick out a lot of silver coins that I had missed in the past. My better machine simply gave me more information on the "iffy" signals, and made some of them seem worth digging.

But here's the kicker. When I got my better machine, I didn't go out and bring home multiple IH's, Walking Lib's and other spectacular finds. I worked really hard for each good coin. And I have many more days that I find mediocre finds than good ones.

Hope this helps!

MP

+1 Well Said

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
well Bazinga, the 1700.00 gold ring I dug up, rang up as a piece of foil, so by your reckoning, you wouldn't have dug it up.
just to let you know, I don't post everything I dig up, but if your such a great treasure hunter, where are all your finds.
and since you find all this stuff and more in a SINGLE day, put it up so we can all see it

What day of finds should I post links to? I haven't posted finds on this site in years and I post some of my finds on our local club's forum. Some memorable days finds:

25 silver day - Should be on this site in my old posts
39 silver week (4 day of hunting public parks... 15 one day, 2 days of 10, and a day of 4)
2 large cents and a half cent - a few weeks ago
9 Indian Head day - might be old enough to be on this site
11 ring day
Many more 10+ silver days - some of these may still be on the site
Several days of 40+ wheats
I had a year where I averaged almost 20 wheats per day of hunting

Many of the big silver days were several years ago as I just don't hunt parks like I used to. Since I've gotten the taste of large cents and bust silver in the past year I haven't been too motivated for Indian Heads and Barber Dimes.

Heck, I had a slow day as far as finding conductive targets goes on Saturday and I still went home with an 1855 Large Cent and an 1864 IH.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
Sniffer said:

What day of finds should I post links to? I haven't posted finds on this site in years and I post some of my finds on our local club's forum. Some memorable days finds:

39 silver week (4 day of hunting public parks... 15 one day, 2 days of 10, and a day of 4)
11 ring day

Many of the big silver days were several years ago as I just don't hunt parks like I used to. Since I've gotten the taste of large cents and bust silver in the past year I haven't been too motivated for Indian Heads and Barber Dimes.

Heck, I had a slow day as far as finding conductive targets goes on Saturday and I still went home with an 1855 Large Cent and an 1864 IH.
Thats nothing , I found some rusty nails today ;D

slwilliamssr

Aug 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
bazinga said:
Sniffer said:

11 ring day

Very nice finds for sure. It seems you hunt some very nice sites with a lot of stuff to find while Sniffer hunts sites with not as much to find but still has some nice things to show for his time in the field. I'm brand new to the hobby and come here for information to learn more about the hobby. To date my best find has been a Victorian broch I found in my back yard and my oldest coin was a 1949 wheat cent. I just started detecting this past August, I guess my point here is everyone has something to offer to others and if you build on what someone else has added then the person looking for help and advise will walk away with a better understanding of this great hobby.

The bottom line is if it's not under your coil your not going to dig it.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slwilliamssr said:
The bottom line is if it's not under your coil your not going to dig it.

Or in the case of many machines... If you can't hear it under your coil, you're not going to dig it.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
once again it all comes down to location, you can find a cap busted half dollar with a cheap radio shack detector if ya run your coil over it. metal detecting isn't what it was 25 years ago and alot of the areas to detect have been really hit hard. its all about doing research and hitting private property or secluded areas that haven't been hammered.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dogpound said:
once again it all comes down to location, you can find a cap busted half dollar with a cheap radio shack detector if ya run your coil over it. metal detecting isn't what it was 25 years ago and alot of the areas to detect have been really hit hard. its all about doing research and hitting private property or secluded areas that haven't been hammered.

It's all about just having a better machine and knowing how to use it sometimes at those hammered spots. I can point out coins to people and ID the type of coin and their machine won't even tell you that something is down there.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
dogpound said:

It's all about just having a better machine and knowing how to use it sometimes at those hammered spots. I can point out coins to people and ID the type of coin and their machine won't even tell you that something is down there.
How deep are you talking about? I have a lower end md(delta4000)that is sensitive and goes pretty deep....I realize that there are better md's......what is the md you use?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
m bryan said:
bazinga said:
dogpound said:

How deep are you talking about? I have a lower end md(delta4000)that is sensitive and goes pretty deep....I realize that there are better md's......what is the md you use?

I use an Explorer. And to be honest, many of the coins I point out to others that they can't hear aren't very deep. Some are 8"+ while others are 4"-6" deep silver and next to iron and they just hear iron on their machine where I can clearly hear a coin.

I've shown an F75 a 7" silver dime / indian head coin spill and they couldn't hear a PEEP. They changed every possible setting in hopes of finding it with no luck at all. I've shown Garrett 1500 & 2500 machines silver at just 6" and they can't hear it.

People can say all they want about "if it's there, they will hear it with their machine," but that's just not true at all. If it was, all of the coins would already be in people's collections and not out there in the parks for me to go and find.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
A better machine makes the location even less important.

BUNK!!!!!!!! The guy that knows what his machine is telling him will prevale! How many ole timers have you seen that have a 1980s vintage TR out finding stuff left & right. Doesn't matter the price of your machine, it's how well you use it & listen to it. That's after you've done the most important part RESEARCH.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
boogeyman said:
bazinga said:
A better machine makes the location even less important.

BUNK!!!!!!!! The guy that knows what his machine is telling him will prevale! How many ole timers have you seen that have a 1980s vintage TR out finding stuff left & right. Doesn't matter the price of your machine, it's how well you use it & listen to it. That's after you've done the most important part RESEARCH.

exactly :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread