Talk me down from the ledge!!!

dlrwaitnonadime

Oct 22, 2010
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty new to the Hobby only having had my Ace 250 for about two months. I have been out pretty frequently and I am Really enjoying it. I have found a fair amount of clad, one silver Mercury dime and some pretty cool relics. I have been reading the finds forum on here almost daily and it is about to make my head explode. I just want to find one Indian Head penny and every time I look at the finds forum sombody is finding multiple IH's, Barbers, Standing Liberty's and on and on. I know I probably just need to be patient and continue to increase my locations for hunting but I just really want to find the old stuff and I just keep finding the new. Our ground is dryer than a popcorn fart right now and I have been praying for rain as I have read that may help the ground conditions and I know it would make digging much better. Anyways just ranting. I know I am hooked so hopefully the good stuff will not always elude me. Thanks for reading and if you have any words of wisdom, speak up!!!!

Upvote 0

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well I am at 4 silver coins in 3 years and a few Indian heads and wheaties. I haven't been able to go out this year very much due to my health but there is light at the end of the tunnel finally. My 2 best coins are a 1876 shield nickle and a no date SLQ. Now I read a lot of posts on here where these 2 types of coins are still on a lot of peoples wish lists that have been detecting a lot longer then me. On the other hand I have yet to find a mercury dime. Researching places to hunt is your best bet, then you have to get your coil over the coins lol.

For me it is still a rush digging a target and feeling the anticipation of finding an old coin (even when it turns out to be clad or trash). You either love this hobby or you don't, personally I can't wait to get better over the winter and start fresh next spring. Good luck and happy hunting,

Charlie

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The thing you most want will usually be the most difficult to find. :wink:

You're doing fine. It will happen. Just concentrate on sites that will produce the kinds of coins you want. It may take awhile, but persistence pays off.

Just don't be in a rush. The metal detecting gods frown on impatience. :D

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can see the headlines now.... "MD'r plunges to his death, breaking open a large earthen jar full of IH's".... Keep looking, looking, looking! (but don't rush headlong into it) TTC

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
XT18000 said:
Remember; LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION ALWAYS!!!

That is so true. If you want old stuff you have to go to old places. Old house foundations in the woods are good. I remember wanting to get my first indian head. I now have three and they were all found around cellar holes. And they were all found with a 250 and a whole lot of patience. Cellar holes are full of iron junk and the ace has a hard time dealing with lots iron. Deepest was about four inches. Indians signal lower than a penny, btw. Took me about a year. Be patient and it will come.

-Swartzie

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
dlrwaitnonadime said:
I am pretty new to the Hobby only having had my Ace 250 for about two months. I have been out pretty frequently and I am Really enjoying it. I have found a fair amount of clad, one silver Mercury dime and some pretty cool relics. I have been reading the finds forum on here almost daily and it is about to make my head explode. I just want to find one Indian Head penny and every time I look at the finds forum sombody is finding multiple IH's, Barbers, Standing Liberty's and on and on. I know I probably just need to be patient and continue to increase my locations for hunting but I just really want to find the old stuff and I just keep finding the new. Our ground is dryer than a popcorn fart right now and I have been praying for rain as I have read that may help the ground conditions and I know it would make digging much better. Anyways just ranting. I know I am hooked so hopefully the good stuff will not always elude me. Thanks for reading and if you have any words of wisdom, speak up!!!!

patience is the key...but we could help some with ideas if we knew where you were.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's that very feeling of "wanting that next great find" that drives most of us.

I know it does me.

I love to dig clad it pays and every once in a while a keeper jumps out of the ground and into my collection.

Wait till you dig your first token then you'll start wanting more of those also.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Smudge said:
The thing you most want will usually be the most difficult to find. :wink:

You're doing fine. It will happen. Just concentrate on sites that will produce the kinds of coins you want. It may take awhile, but persistence pays off.

Just don't be in a rush. The metal detecting gods frown on impatience. :D
Smudge is right! I have found only four indians in my going on 8 yrs. .I also found a flying eagle I never thought I would find . Enjoy the hunt follow the rules Gods will Put something down in front of you . Just enjoy and swing Then when you hear something or see you detector act crazy . I call them anomolies . some thing out of the ordinary Like indicator doing something it never has done . dig it . When my detector gives me a signal I never see that is more than likely a keeper I have never found Welcome To TNET. I am sick with this. I would not have it any other way . Rob

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
while a good machine is important, a person that knows their MD is more deadly than someone that has a fancy MD and doesn't know how to use it.
I've found 3 IH's, 9 rings, a rosary, and assorted other things over the years, but you can't find the good stuff without digging everything that makes a repeatable signal

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
I've found 3 IH's, 9 rings, a rosary, and assorted other things over the years, but you can't find the good stuff without digging everything that makes a repeatable signal

Digging everything that makes a repeatable signal? Are you serious? No wonder you have found so little over the years. With an e-trac, it shouldn't be out of line to dig 50+ indian heads a year. Some people just make detecting more difficult than it needs to be. People that have the experience of a new user shouldn't be giving other new users advice.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bazinga said:
Sniffer said:

Digging everything that makes a repeatable signal? Are you serious? No wonder you have found so little over the years. With an e-trac, it shouldn't be out of line to dig 50+ indian heads a year. Some people just make detecting more difficult than it needs to be. People that have the experience of a new user shouldn't be giving other new users advice.
Lighten up on Sniffer a little, Bazinga. With thousands of posts, he doesn't look like a newbe. I've been posting here when Metal Detecting was the ONLY forum here. And I have only 800 or so posts. I'm not trying to sound like I've done it all but posting on this Tnet is to share thoughts and ideas. Everybody has something to say.... or not at all.... but that is how we learn alot. (I'll get off my soapbox now) Tnx. TTC

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
bazinga said:
Sniffer said:

Lighten up on Sniffer a little, Bazinga. With thousands of posts, he doesn't look like a newbe. I've been posting here when Metal Detecting was the ONLY forum here. And I have only 800 or so posts. I'm not trying to sound like I've done it all but posting on this Tnet is to share thoughts and ideas. Everybody has something to say.... or not at all.... but that is how we learn alot. (I'll get off my soapbox now) Tnx. TTC

For somebody to tell others how to detect, they should at least have the finds to back it up. This guy doesn't have the finds. His totals from YEARS of hunting are what myself and many others on the site find in a single day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions