Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    us
    Oct 2010
    Alabama
    Minelab Etrac, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    17 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Talk me down from the ledge!!!

I am pretty new to the Hobby only having had my Ace 250 for about two months. I have been out pretty frequently and I am Really enjoying it. I have found a fair amount of clad, one silver Mercury dime and some pretty cool relics. I have been reading the finds forum on here almost daily and it is about to make my head explode. I just want to find one Indian Head penny and every time I look at the finds forum sombody is finding multiple IH's, Barbers, Standing Liberty's and on and on. I know I probably just need to be patient and continue to increase my locations for hunting but I just really want to find the old stuff and I just keep finding the new. Our ground is dryer than a popcorn fart right now and I have been praying for rain as I have read that may help the ground conditions and I know it would make digging much better. Anyways just ranting. I know I am hooked so hopefully the good stuff will not always elude me. Thanks for reading and if you have any words of wisdom, speak up!!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Scotland, Aye !!

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    11465 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Re: Talk me down from the ledge!!!

Welcome to Treasure Net !!

Your finds will come with patience , research and a little luck; hang in there!!
    Don........

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    65 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Well I am at 4 silver coins in 3 years and a few Indian heads and wheaties. I haven't been able to go out this year very much due to my health but there is light at the end of the tunnel finally. My 2 best coins are a 1876 shield nickle and a no date SLQ. Now I read a lot of posts on here where these 2 types of coins are still on a lot of peoples wish lists that have been detecting a lot longer then me. On the other hand I have yet to find a mercury dime. Researching places to hunt is your best bet, then you have to get your coil over the coins lol.

For me it is still a rush digging a target and feeling the anticipation of finding an old coin (even when it turns out to be clad or trash). You either love this hobby or you don't, personally I can't wait to get better over the winter and start fresh next spring. Good luck and happy hunting,

Charlie

us
    Jul 2010
    Central Florida
    A Propointer tied to a stick
    43 times
    Metal Detecting

The thing you most want will usually be the most difficult to find.

You're doing fine. It will happen. Just concentrate on sites that will produce the kinds of coins you want. It may take awhile, but persistence pays off.

Just don't be in a rush. The metal detecting gods frown on impatience.

May 2008

Remember; LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION ALWAYS!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer.
    6716 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I can see the headlines now.... "MD'r plunges to his death, breaking open a large earthen jar full of IH's".... Keep looking, looking, looking! (but don't rush headlong into it) TTC
    I can't change what happened yesterday. But today, I will work on a better tomorrow.

us
    Mar 2009
    Tuscarawas County, Ohio
    Tesoro Tejon
    48 times
    Relic Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by XT18000
    Remember; LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION ALWAYS!!!
    That is so true. If you want old stuff you have to go to old places. Old house foundations in the woods are good. I remember wanting to get my first indian head. I now have three and they were all found around cellar holes. And they were all found with a 250 and a whole lot of patience. Cellar holes are full of iron junk and the ace has a hard time dealing with lots iron. Deepest was about four inches. Indians signal lower than a penny, btw. Took me about a year. Be patient and it will come.

-Swartzie
    Keep calm and dig on

us
    Supreme Chancellor

Oct 2005
    High Five!
    77 times

A better machine makes the location even less important.

us
    Mar 2009
    Tuscarawas County, Ohio
    Tesoro Tejon
    48 times
    Relic Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by bazinga
    A better machine makes the location even less important.
    The 250 is a decent performer. Here's some of the goodies I have found with mine: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...,339977.0.html A better machine will make it easier to find stuff. But, if the stuff is not there then it's just not there.

-swartzie
    Keep calm and dig on

us
    May 2008
    wa
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by dlrwaitnonadime
    I am pretty new to the Hobby only having had my Ace 250 for about two months. I have been out pretty frequently and I am Really enjoying it. I have found a fair amount of clad, one silver Mercury dime and some pretty cool relics. I have been reading the finds forum on here almost daily and it is about to make my head explode. I just want to find one Indian Head penny and every time I look at the finds forum sombody is finding multiple IH's, Barbers, Standing Liberty's and on and on. I know I probably just need to be patient and continue to increase my locations for hunting but I just really want to find the old stuff and I just keep finding the new. Our ground is dryer than a popcorn fart right now and I have been praying for rain as I have read that may help the ground conditions and I know it would make digging much better. Anyways just ranting. I know I am hooked so hopefully the good stuff will not always elude me. Thanks for reading and if you have any words of wisdom, speak up!!!!
    patience is the key...but we could help some with ideas if we knew where you were.

us
    Supreme Chancellor

Oct 2005
    High Five!
    77 times

Quote Originally Posted by Swartzie
    A better machine will make it easier to find stuff.
    This.

us
    Jul 2008
    Ohio
    25 times

It's that very feeling of "wanting that next great find" that drives most of us.

I know it does me.

I love to dig clad it pays and every once in a while a keeper jumps out of the ground and into my collection.

Wait till you dig your first token then you'll start wanting more of those also.
    Clad Pays

us
    underdogger

Sep 2009
    Syracuse n.y
    Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge
    The thing you most want will usually be the most difficult to find.

You're doing fine. It will happen. Just concentrate on sites that will produce the kinds of coins you want. It may take awhile, but persistence pays off.

Just don't be in a rush. The metal detecting gods frown on impatience.
    Smudge is right! I have found only four indians in my going on 8 yrs. .I also found a flying eagle I never thought I would find . Enjoy the hunt follow the rules Gods will Put something down in front of you . Just enjoy and swing Then when you hear something or see you detector act crazy . I call them anomolies . some thing out of the ordinary Like indicator doing something it never has done . dig it . When my detector gives me a signal I never see that is more than likely a keeper I have never found Welcome To TNET. I am sick with this. I would not have it any other way . Rob
    WE DIDN'T GET DRESSED UP FOR NOTHING

us
    Nov 2009
    Evans Colorado
    AT Max
    117 times

I always wondered how dried a popcorn fart was

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250