Simple Analogue metal detector for relic hunting

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did anyone ever make a relatively light or well balanced analogue detector (3.5 to 4lbs or so and well balanced) that was practically no frills, could be hunted with an audible threshold and had a couple different coils, like a 7", 9.5 or 10" coil? Seems like a good relic hunting machine should have the ability to tell you by sound, about how deep the target is. The few analogue machines I have had could do that by signal intensity, whereas the digitals either break threshold with a beep that doesn't vary in intensity or stay silent. The Tejon I have doesn't seem like it can be hunted with a steady, audible threshold and for the really deep (10"+) signals it would seem to be a neccesity.

Upvote 0

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use my Tejon with the audible threshold on when I'm hunting open woods with very few targets. The threshold remains pretty steady for me. It will vary a bit when I hit pockets of mineralization. If it becomes a problem I'll just turn it up a bit. Often I'll check the balance and adjust it if it needs it. For depth indication/size of target what I do is switch between threshold tone (all metal) and disc mode. I'll get a target with the threshold tone then check it with the threshold tone off (in disc mode). If it does not signal very well or not at all in disc mode then I know the target is either very small or deep. If the threshold tone was pretty loud when I hit the target and I do not get much of a signal when I switch to disc mode then I know it's something really small near the surface. But, if the threshold tone is pretty soft when I hit the target and I do not get much of a signal when I switch to disc mode then I know the target is deeper. The Tejon is way more sensitive in all metal with the threshold tone on. In my opinion, it's the only way you're going to find smaller stuff that's deeper. Maybe give Tesoro a call and let them know you're having issues with the audible all metal mode.

-Swartzie

ron_c

Mar 13, 2009
Noth Central Texas
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL, G2, Compass Coin Scanner Pro, Garrett BFO Discriminator, Garrett Pro Pointer,White's TRX PP, XP Gold Maxx Power, White's IDX Pro, Omega, Tesoro Vaquero
Check out the White's 6000 Pro XL/XL Pro (same unit).

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not, for sure, know the answer to your query,
but you may want to check out the Nautilus.
They make a couple of models that seem to rate pretty high with relic hunters, including those down in the state of Virginia
that has some of the God-awful ground mineralization problems this side of Dogpatch.
However, as I understand matters, there is quite a learning curve with Nautilus machines.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ron_c said:
Check out the White's 6000 Pro XL/XL Pro (same unit).

I got 2 6000's...one a pro...great relic machine. Wouldn't swing em for hours now...not the most ergonomic machine but well balanced. You can get hip mount conversion kits for them I hear. Love that old analog.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread