question about where not to detect

becky21b

Jul 12, 2010
Santa Cruz, Ca
Ok, since Im new to this I was wondering, if its wrong to detect in cemetaries, and churchs (with permission of course) I feel weird about doing cemetaries (even tho there is an old one in town that I thought about)

Also, whats the best way to ask for permission to detect on someones property? there are lots of parks that I've been digging around, mostly NAILS! lol ahaha but thats ok, its fun

Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far a my opinion goes Cemetery's should not be detected!!! Bad MOJO THERE!!!! Church grounds should be OK with Permission!!!! HH Chug

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
If you know where the after-funeral events were held, often very near the cemeteries, then it's good. Stay off the grounds of an active or even closed cemetery but keep in mind the periphery may be a great site.

There's one property in town here I want to hunt badly. After the first cold call "No" I just started watching the property. It's changed hands twice in the last ten years. I'll hunt the park across the street from the place and make conversation with the owners, yes, stalking the site.

In fact most of the private property I've gotten enthusiastic permission for came after that method was employed.

You can try the Billy Mays approach, "What can I do to get into your yard today!?!"
followed by " But wait, there's more!"
But your not selling used cars to first time buyers, your asking to take things from people's yards. Use your humility and honest appreciation for this hobby, and keep in mind those things that make people different.

Women want to talk, listen and pursuade. Men want to be direct, keep it brief but purpose-driven.

Let people come to the conclusion that finding things in their yard may be fun, not profitable and they'll ask you to come play. If their kids are present it's way easier!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If the "cemetary" your thinking of in your town, is the one I'm thinking of, then here's a tip for you: off to the sides, outside the boundry of the actual tombstones, along some hillsides there (I'll let you do the research) was an old firing range from where military camped out in that vicinity in the earliest days of Santa Cruz. Some guys there have made sport of digging the early lead bullets (the earliest conical ones of the CW era) from the hillsides there. Not sure if they're worth anything (I doubt it), but they're kind of cool, and easy to amass there.

If I was you, I'd turn my attention to the oodles of summer camps that dot the hills between you and Los Gatos. All throughout the mountains there, as you know, are scores of camps: scouts, churches, various organizations, various campgrounds, some abandoned, some still used, some old, some not-so-old, etc.... Lots of silver coins have been pulled from them. And now is their "off-season", where there will be days, mid-week, where no-one but perhaps a caretaker is present, etc.... If you can hit those, they are often good places to go.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"You can try the Billy Mays approach, "What can I do to get into your yard today!?!"
followed by " But wait, there's more!" :laughing9:

I love it.

Edges of Cemeteries are ok. Just not near the graves in the cemeteries.

I have seen some amazing finds come from neighboring fields of Cemeteries.

OP
OP
becky21b

becky21b

Jul 12, 2010
Santa Cruz, Ca
Yeah that is pretty funny! haha

Thanks for all the advise I really appreciate it.

Tom I will look into the camp grounds, very good idea!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread