ace 250 depth test (update)

S

skydiv

I did a depth test because I'm not finding anything deeper than about 3-4 inches. I dug a hole the depth of a shovel, maybe 8-10 inches, I put a merc in the hole and filled it back in. (top soil) I put ace 250 on coin mode all but 1 mark sensitivity swept the hole and nothing. put sensitivity down about 3 marks nothing. tried jewelery mode and all medal mode the same way. nothing, tried a nickel and a susan b coin the same way and couldn't find them. anybody got any pointers.

update: I took my coil cover off and now I get depth I couldn't get with it. I am back to finding things at about 6 in.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: ace 250 depth test

Ace 250 doesn't suck on depth. True it might not be the deepest, but if your finding coins at 3 or 4 inches, thats good enough. A freshly buried coin won't be picked up at half it's max depth and needs to be in the ground awhile. Paying bigger bucks won't necessarily reach the 10 inch coin either when it is freshly buried. Enjoy the Ace 250 and don't worry about it.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

the ace 250 is pretty much only advertised as going down to about 8 inches max in good soil conditions. 8 to 10 inches is probably a bit too deep for it. 10 inches on a dime would be a stretch for my gti 2500! the ace 250 still has adequate depth for a lot of coinshooting applications though. there are a lot of coins in the 1 to 8 inch range. do get too discouraged. for $200 you have the best machine available.

L

LEO037

The 3300 is highly compared to the 250 and the 3300 surely goes deep.
So the 250 should be really good.
Best priced machine, best deal all around.

R

rvbvetter

I think I would try it again at a measured depth of 6 inches and see if it picks it up. Check to make sure there's no other metal in the ground where you want to bury the target. And crank the sensitivity all the way up. There's no need to go down on the sensetivity unless the detector becomes unstable(gives false signals)
If it picks up the coin, then if you want, you can drop the sensetivity down a notch at a time, just to see at what point it won't pick up the coin anymore. Knowing that might help you in the field later on.
Unless you have very bad ground, it should pick up the coin at 6 in. HH

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast

soil conditions vary the depth you could find a coin at. six could be the max one day , 8 inches the next, water has a lot to do with it, so does the mineral make up of the soil. sand, clay, iron ore, types of rocks all effect your readings

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

I read where someone used a piece of pipe that they marked in 1 inch increments. The pipe was just a bit bigger than the coin. Anyways, they could shove it into the ground to the depth they wanted, pull out the pipe, drop the coin into the hole, and then use a dowel rod to push the plug out of the pipe and back into the hole. It keeps from disturbing the soil too much and then you can check the reliability of the depth reading, the signal, and the pinpointing.
Be sure if you use this method, to mark the spot with a golf tee or something non-metallic as you will otherwise lose the location as it blends in pretty well. Jist a thought.

S

Sand Digger

Re: ace 250 depth test mines pretty deep

I find that when you bury a coin for a test you really don't get true results. A coin sitting in the ground for a while will give you a reading allot deeper than something you just buried. Ive hit all kinds of coins at 8 inches with the stock coil digging in Florida sand ( I don't know if my states ground conditions have anything to do with this) and when in all metal with my 9x12 rhino coil Ive been allot deeper than 8 inches. Worthless junk maybe but hows one of those foil kiddie juice bags at 2 feet plus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions