I want to upgrade from the Whites XLT. Any suggestions?

catlord17

May 13, 2006
I'm not sure this is the right forum to be posting this questionin, but here goes. I have a White's Spectrum XLT from 1998. It's a very comfortable machine for me, but it can't claim the title of "all around most versatile deepest seeking machine". I can't use it in wet salt sand, for instance, and from what I understand, it gets beat on depth by at least a few other makes and models. Since I live on Florida's Treasure Coast, I'd like to go back to at least having the option of hunting in the wet sand at the beach. I expectto be travelling more often, and I'd like something that can handle all kinds of use, as well as ground conditions.

I love my XLT, and I'm glad I have one, but I'd like a second detector that can at least handle the beach as well as coin shooting. I want maximum depth and versatility, too. So far I've looked at the DFX and the Explorer II as serious options.

I used to own a Sovereign XS, but that was never returned to me after I allowed someone to borrow it for a weekend, and then discovered he moved away. I loved it for the beach. I'm curious about the Explorer II, and how it compares to the DFX, but I'm also open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Upvote 0

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Explorer II is top of the line. The only drawback with it is the price and the weight. If you can handle the cost the weight can be solved with a "swingy thingy" a sling type strap for about $25. Type it in your search engine for a link. The DFX is no slouch but my next machine will be an Explorer II maybe a EXPORER III?

Ed Donovan

OP
OP
C

catlord17

May 13, 2006
Interesting that both of you should be saying the same thing.... and the same thing I was thinking, too. I use the XLT to the hilt, and I customize every aspectof my customprograms. I bought it because it was top of the line and because it gave me the freedom to have absolute control. The Explorer II looks like Minelab's version of the absolute control thing, which is partly why it was attractive, and I remember how powerful the Sovereign XS was. If you can give me anymore information, I'd love to hear it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites DFX is a nice machine and easy to use. However the Explorer III is a 1.5 to 100 KKz multiple frequency detector. This id's the target as never before and gets much depth. Down side is the cost, but with use it pays for itself by finding targets where you hunted it out before. I have never had to send back a Minelab for service, maybe I have just been lucky.

There are a couple other good machines out there and if I can think of one disadvantage to the Explorer II it would be you can't take it under water.

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
Just another data point. I traded my XLT for an Explorer 2 and it was the right move IMO. Great machine. Not good on tiny gold and you can't go underwater as mentioned, but the other machines in the same class have restrictions.

OP
OP
C

catlord17

May 13, 2006
It strikes me as being quite remarkable that everyone responding seems to be in agreement! I guess my assessment was a good one, then.Underwater hunting isn't of much interest to me right now. I don't much like going in the water, what with me being virtually fat free, and getting hypothermia at the drop of a hat. ;D So the Explorer II seems like a detector that will see me through the next 8 years of hunting. Sounds good.

Can anyone compare the explorer II to the XLT in terms of capacity for customization, please? I'd like to know more about this, but I can't find any information about it on Minelab's ads. I know the XLT has all these things you can customize, and I'm hoping the Minelab has at least the major ones covered like this. I love multi-notch discrimination, for one.

R

rvbvetter

Just like the DFX has more program options than the XLT. So does the EXP II over the XLT. Go to the Minelab web site and you can down load the EXP II manual. That should tell you everything you want to know. I have the DFX and the EXP II. and from my use of them, I give the nod to the EXP II. Among other things the EXP II is just more stable. Have you looked at the X terra 70 yet? HH

OP
OP
C

catlord17

May 13, 2006
Thanks for the info. I headed over to get the manual, but got sidetracked by all the interesting goodies. ;D But no, haven't looked at the X-Terra 70. Why would I want to?

R

rvbvetter

I believe the X terra 70 is Minelabs latest offering. I haven't seen any field tests on it yet. But bits and pieces I have heard sound pretty good. Sounds like it's depth might be comparable to the EXP II and with a little factory tweeking that was done to the 70 to make it better on gold. Plus the lighter weight and smaller price tag. Not sure on this but I thought I had heard that it's quicker than The EXP II also. Might be an attractive alternative. HH

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Stick with your plans for the Explorer2, the XTerra Range is well down on the minelab ratings, it is rated lower than the Sovereign, then the Quatro and finally top machine is the Explorer 2. I use minelab machines myself exclusively and have used and owned both models of the Explorers1 and 2 and strongly recommend them. good hunting seeya Neilo

OP
OP
C

catlord17

May 13, 2006
rvbvetter, I buy a new metal detector every 8-10 years, so I figure why not go for the best one on the market for my needs when I do? If it's expensive, I'll save up - my business is doing fairly well, it shouldn't take too long. The XTerra-xx is not their top-of-the-line , and that's why I hadn't considered one for more than a fleeting few minutes. (Speaking of the X-Terra series, what is this new single frequency technology they are boasting about, and why would anyone want it compared to their BBS/FBS technology? I don't understand that.) Then again, perhaps I should re-consideer this line and do more research, although the single frequency was a major turn-off, coming from the XLT. Must go get some manuals. I keep getting distracted by other things when I go looking for them. lol

Bomber, of course you love your DFX - it's a White's! ;D What detectors can you compare it to from personal experience, if any? I love my XLT, too, but I'm wondering if having two White's machines might not be as good as having two machines that are from different manufacturers, since each manufacturer has different strengths and weaknesses. I definitely plan to keep my XLT, partly because I still really love using it, and partly because it's really not worth much to sell. Do you have experience with any machines that are not White's?

Neilo, have you ever owned or used a White's, or more specifically an XLT? I know the XLT appeals because of it's faster sweep speed, but I can be patient in lower trash areas like the beach. What sort of depth are you getting with the stock 10.5" coil? How long does it take to master pinpointing, or do you use/recommend a probe?

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi I have owned whites machines in the past but not the XLT, three of my friends have them and on the beach there is no comparison, the Explorer easily wins. In the high salt wet and black sand areas the machine excells.There is no noticeable difference going from dry to wet areas, where as the whites will have to be turned down in sensitivity and will have trouble handling this situation.As far as depth goes with the standard 10 1/2 inch coil I have dug coins at 12 to 15 inches in favorable conditions. eg dry sand or soil with little mineralisation.
As far as pin pointing goes, I have never really had any problem with it. The only times that I have had any problems is when I have been using the 15inch coil running on very high sensitivity. Then its a matter of swinging over your target and dragging the coil backwards slowly and when the signal stops the target is directly in front centre of the coil. When using the standard coil its only a matter of criss crossing the target
remember the coil is a double d coil and the signal is a straight line down the centre of the coil.By criss crossing you are virtually putting a x on the ground over your target.
I do have a Sunray probe which I mainly use in parks and lawned areas, where it is essential to cause minimal damage and the probe being able to pinpoint down to about 1/2 square allows me to pluck shallow coins out by either using a screwdriver or pair of long nosed pliers. I dont dig deep holes in parks, I think if you did its only a matter of time before you would be banned and not be allowed to detect on them at all.The probe is really useful in finding deep targets in holes, sometimes you could dig a hole and just miss the target going to one side of it. The probe will soon locate it. If you are detecting on a beach you dont need a probe, beaches are easy digging and targets are easily retreived. Another advantage of the Sunray probe is because it uses the detectors own circuitry it will discriminate and operate exactly as the normal coil does. I hope I have answered your queries good luck with whatever detector you decide on seeya Neilo ;D

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey cat,i've only owned a qxt b4 and only 4 a few months(still consider myself a newbe)

OP
OP
C

catlord17

May 13, 2006
Thanks for the replies, everybody!

I hope to be getting the new detector soon, but my business seems to be eating all my time. Argh!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple machines worth looking at if your wanting Explorer II depth are the Tesoro Tejon ($559.20) and Nautilus DMC IIB ($536 with 10 inch coil). They both get as deep or deeper than the Explorer and are less than 1/2 the price.

Many former Explorer users have come over to Nautilus (see the Nautilus postings at the Find's Forum site). I plan to order the DMC IIB myself very soon. There's really nothing like it today. The idea of a machine that's smooth as silk and can detect a dime at 9-12 inches sounds pretty good.

You'd have to read up on both machines to see which one (if any) suits you best.

However, my guess is money is no problem and if you already know you really like Minelabs, than maybe you'd best stay with that brand?

Whatever...have a good one!

Badger

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I would hunt down the guy that borrowed your detecter and and get the machine back.

OP
OP
C

catlord17

May 13, 2006
ringding said:
I would hunt down the guy that borrowed your detecter and and get the machine back.

So would I. If I could find any way to trace him! I can only hope to find him through my friend, his ex wife - and I can't even locate her! I have done searches online, and sent e-mails and snail mails. So far, nothing.

OP
OP
C

catlord17

May 13, 2006
Michigan Badger said:
A couple machines worth looking at if your wanting Explorer II depth are the Tesoro Tejon ($559.20) and Nautilus DMC IIB ($536 with 10 inch coil). They both get as deep or deeper than the Explorer and are less than 1/2 the price.

Many former Explorer users have come over to Nautilus (see the Nautilus postings at the Find's Forum site). I plan to order the DMC IIB myself very soon. There's really nothing like it today. The idea of a machine that's smooth as silk and can detect a dime at 9-12 inches sounds pretty good.

You'd have to read up on both machines to see which one (if any) suits you best.

However, my guess is money is no problem and if you already know you really like Minelabs, than maybe you'd best stay with that brand?

Whatever...have a good one!

Badger

Hmm... well,since itappears this new detector is going to have to wait a while due to recent developments, it cannot hurt to consider these two suggestions, right? :)

I don't know why, but I never liked Tesoro machines. I say I don't know why because I have never used one... but they just seem to be built in a way that doesn't mesh with my tastes. I'll take a look regardless, though. It isn't how the machine looks, it's what it does, right? I was looking at their website a couple weeks ago. Nautilus I'm not familiar with yet. Hmmm, Troy's Shadow X5 looks interesting as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions