When your detector starts acting weird!!!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While detecting today My Whites classic started chirpping on every pass I made!!!!! I would get a gold reading and dig up a dime I would get a silver reading and pull up a penny!!!!! It was driving me insane!!!!!

After a half an hour I decide to turn it off for a bit and rest!!!!!

When i turned it back on it was doing a constant chirping sound even though the coil was not moving and there was a slight breeze!!!! I was hunting in a lot of leaves and wet grass!!!

I took a look at the bottom of the coil and saw a wrapper from a candy stuck on the coil!!!!! with an edge flapping in the breeze!!!!

OK I will wait for the comments now!! :BangHead:

Upvote 0

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What comment?!?! WELCOME TO THE CLUB. Only thing worse..... Not remembering you've got steel toe boots on while nugget hunting, and there's 3 others close by. Think I'll ever hear the end of that one?

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
No comments, just having a wet coil is enough to give you fits. Glad you found the problem. :hello2:

HH

Desertfox

andy from de

Sep 28, 2010
dover delaware
Detector(s) used
whites mxt pro
I know what you mean Boogyman, I did the steeltoed boot thing my self once. Makes ya walk kind of funny. I didn't want to go home and change shoes so I just coped with it. My back hurt for three days after that. I'll never do that again. AA

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
how about waving the handful of dirt under the coil and looking for your target and then realizing you're still wearing your wedding ring.
no, what you did was an accident nothing more. by the way, what kind of candy was it? :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty freak situation having something stuck that had enough movement to make the detector sound off. You can probably detect for the next 25 years and it not happen again.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's nothing.

Try driving nearly an hour to get to the beach and then realize you left all your digging equipment at home.

Yep. That was me! ;D

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
That's nothing.

Try driving nearly an hour to get to the beach and then realize you left all your digging equipment at home.

Yep. That was me! ;D

Better than getting home and realize you left your digging equipment at the beach ;D

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
That's a pretty freak situation having something stuck that had enough movement to make the detector sound off. You can probably detect for the next 25 years and it not happen again.
HA! 25 years?!? The way my luck runs, I wouldn't hold my breath for 25 minutes ;D

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
maybe we just get so excited about getting there, we forget all the important things :laughing9: :laughing9:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My big one was leaving new Shadow X-5 on the top of a car while we all went in the field to hunt. It wasn't somewhere where there was a ton of traffic, but definitely would have been seen by a few.... and it was completely out of our view. Probably sat there for a few hours and I was very happy to see it hadn't walked away.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
IP, I'll bet you were sweating bullets

No, just felt pretty good seeing it was still there once I realized what I had done. That day was the first time I had used it, and decided it was not for me so was going to be sold. Would have been a costly mistake because those things weren't cheap when they came out.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez, hunted for a couple of hours today. Stopped and rinsed off my detector, scoop and sand out of shoes. Get to the car.....left my scoop at the shower. Guess I'm going to have to velcro everything to me.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
My big one was leaving new Shadow X-5 on the top of a car while we all went in the field to hunt. It wasn't somewhere where there was a ton of traffic, but definitely would have been seen by a few.... and it was completely out of our view. Probably sat there for a few hours and I was very happy to see it hadn't walked away.
Around here, they'd throw the detector in the bushes & steal the car. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread